2023 MLB Season Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

Two key differences:

1. Harper fields right handed and bats left, so his right elbow needed TJ and that’s his bottom arm when batting. 

For the record, Ohtani also bats left and throws right. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Sport said:

For the record, Ohtani also bats left and throws right. 

I honestly didn’t know that. So maybe he can keep hitting unless he wants to get a head start on rehab. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The 2023 Angels season: if "the poop cruise from hell" was a baseball team.

Also, Stephen Strasburg is retiring after not having played since last year. Good for him, and let's hope he gets all of his contract money.

If he's officially retiring, then no, he doesn't. Now, they may come to an agreed settlement, but if you retire, you are leaving your contract and therefore are no longer entitled to any remaining money owed. Why would the team owe money to someone who has willingly decided to not see out the duration of the contract and stop playing altogether? Prince Fielder and David Wright both stopped playing, but didn't officially retire right away so they could still collect on the contract.

I know that the state of the White Sox makes many of us who root for them want to shoot ourselves, but this is a little much. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Since June 2 (when they put Kyle Schwarber and his .188 batting average back in the leadoff spot), the Phillies have a .635 winning percentage (103-win pace.)

I don't get it - my brain can't wrap itself around a .188 hitter batting leadoff but it just works.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Since June 2 (when they put Kyle Schwarber and his .188 batting average back in the leadoff spot), the Phillies have a .635 winning percentage (103-win pace.)

I don't get it - my brain can't wrap itself around a .188 hitter batting leadoff but it just works.

Philly's mantra this year is "do the opposite of the obvious".

A .188 leadoff hitter... Giving your vastly underperforming $300M signee a standing ovation instead of booing him...

🤷‍♂️

29 minutes ago, McCall said:

Philly's mantra this year is "do the opposite of the obvious".

A .188 leadoff hitter... Giving your vastly underperforming $300M signee a standing ovation instead of booing him...

🤷‍♂️

Ironically, they moved him back to leadoff because of that underperforming shortstop, who was originally supposed to be leadoff.

The exact same thing happened last season, where they were 7 below .500 on June 1 then had the best or 2nd best record in baseball... which coincided (along with firing Joe Girardi) with moving Schwarber to leadoff.  It's mind boggling and defies all baseball logic that your biggest home run hitter, guy hitting below the Mendoza line, and leader in strikeouts would make for an ideal leadoff hitter, but whatever.   I can't even think of another time where a guy hitting below 200 was even a regular player (or even on a roster), let alone leading off for a hot team.

The bottom of the lineup has been relatively terrific this year, so other than the first inning, he's been coming up with more people on base and will have many more RBI than last season, but that doesn't explain last season's success with him there.

Finally the Red Sox were back as the number one story in Boston this weekend but only because Mookie Betts made his Fenway return. Justifiably he got an ovation every time anyone looked at him. It was cute how Alex Verdugo took that personally and hit back-to-back leadoff homers; still, Mookie got one back anyway and he's still beloved by fans here, the majority of whom never bought the conspiracy theories about his refusing to re-sign here.

Hope old Sean doesn't get canned for a second time for speaking too much. A little shocked they booked him for this weekend's series instead of the dull sycophant Will Flemming, all things considered.

Looks like the Reds have run out of steam. Young team, injuries piling up, and this is the most baseball a lot of them have played. Fun season, better than expected, but I'll be surprised if they pull out of this tail spin. I already hit on my over bet at 65.5 wins so that's cool. Next year should be even more fun. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 minutes ago, Sport said:

Looks like the Reds have run out of steam. Young team, injuries piling up, and this is the most baseball a lot of them have played. Fun season, better than expected, but I'll be surprised if they pull out of this tail spin. I already hit on my over bet at 65.5 wins so that's cool. Next year should be even more fun. 

Here's hoping.  The Reds are overdue for some success. 

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter