Players whose RIGHT uniform is actually the WRONG uniform

With another entry in the "wrong uniform" thread series, I thought we could share examples of franchise players who's most recognizable uniform is a departure from their team's "right" uniform. Here's what came to mind for me:

Grant Hill being known for the Pistons teal horse set

spacer.png

Roy Halladay

spacer.png

Dominik Hasek

spacer.png

LT in the navy blue

spacer.png

• Like 6

• spartacat_12 changed the title to Players whose RIGHT uniform is actually the WRONG uniform
7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Grant Hill being known for the Pistons teal horse set

spacer.png

If they kept just the wordmark (drop the horse), and went with a simple outline and not the black shadowy mess, it's actually not bad (if the jersey was in the right colors.)  The Pistons have had some fun wordmarks in their day, and this one could be tweaked just a bit to be mature enough for a pro jersey.  Hell, they could even keep the flames.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll do you one better on Biggio - wrong uniform from that era!

biggio_305__34798.1540858578.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I would say that the best example of this is Jim Kelly,  whose entire NFL career took place during the Bills' unfortunate red-helmet period.

Huh? Idk how anyone can say this isn't the Bills' most iconic look

jim_kelly.jpg

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I would say that the best example of this is Jim Kelly,  whose entire NFL career took place during the Bills' unfortunate red-helmet period.

Huh? They wore red helmets for 26 years. Teams can have more than one “right” uniform and that definitely falls into that category.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

[removed for being aesthetically objectionable]

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Huh? They wore red helmets for 26 years. Teams can have more than one “right” uniform and that definitely falls into that category.

No f-ing way.  The Bills' correct helmet is white (featuring either the stationary Buffalo or the charging Buffalo).  The unsightly red lid was a big mistake. 

It's a shame that the team's most important player is associated only with its worst look.  While Elway wore the Broncos' real look for a while before donning the goofy latter-day style, with Kelly we have no choice but to see him in a style that does not represent the team's signature look.

• Dislike 6

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

jim_kelly.jpg

Totally depends on age I guess.  I grew up with Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, James Lofton, Don Beebe, et al wearing red helmets and Champion font.  Other than OJ, I don't know if I could name a player who wore the standing buffalo (though I think also wore the charging one.)

When I see today's Bills, I still thin of them as wearing "new uniforms", even though they're more than a decade old.

But I thin with the Bills, they're a rare team that has two "right" looks, and only one undisputedly "wrong" look:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Bills' correct helmet is white (featuring either the stationary Buffalo or the charging Buffalo).  The unsightly red lid was a big mistake. 

Aside from a murderer rushing for 2,000 yards in that uniform, nothing of any significance happened in that uniform.

6uXNWAo.png

39 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Aside from a murderer rushing for 2,000 yards in that uniform, nothing of any significance happened in that uniform.

Well before Simpson's great career and record-breaking season, the Bills won two AFL championships in the white helmet, the last two before the Super Bowl era.  They then became part of the "white helmet division" of the AFC East.

Nothing can erase the primacy of the white-hemeted look for the Bills — which they recognised by going back to it. As with the Padres' return to brown, the Blue Jays' return to a version of their familiar lettering and logo, and the Orioles' return to the cartoon bird, all other looks are just a bad dream that is best never spoken of.

• Like 6

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the Bills won two AFL championships in the white helmet

They won 4 AFC championships (which is the equivalent to 4 AFL titles) in their red lids.

You might prefer the white helmets better, and that's fine. But their most defining look is the from the Marv Levy-era. It's not even a question.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png