2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

2 hours ago, Survival79 said:

cghMTUJ.png

I'd say Option 4 looks the best and most nicely marries their current logo with the throwback look. Having just one outline on the outside looks a bit weird on Option 2 given the heavy use of black on the spokes, and with Option 3 you'd end up with the only yellow on the logo being the B itself whenever you put it on a yellow backing, which just makes it functionally identical to the original.

4 only needs you to swap the outermost black outline for white when you put it on a black base.

• Like 4

On 2023-06-30 at 3:39 AM, monkeypower said:

Like I said, it's a little Easter egg for the fans and the franchise who understand and recognize the significance of the dates. Yes, it is the same franchise but the Ducks as a franchise have always viewed the team in two distinct eras. I didn't realize we're dealing with legal documents of establishment that need to be followed to the letter.

If you really want to get specific here then, it should really say Est 1992 because they were awarded the franchise in 1992.

Embossing Est 1992 would have a lot been better than Anaheim Ducks Est 2006, as the word established implies that the original team shut up shop and a new Ducks franchise was created, the team only changed owners. It didn't suspend operations or the original team moved to a new city, so  Anaheim Ducks Since 2006 would have been much more accurate.

It's a perfectly valid criticism of the Jersey that Anaheim Ducks Est 2006 is on it and the use of the word Established. It's also fine not to like that there is a script on the stripes at all.

People doesn't have to be so obtuse and/semantic about  what's essentially a jersey Easter egg for the Ducks fan who understand what it is trying to mean and what the dates mean.

It tries, and due to the inaccurate use of Established, it doesn't work. If they wanted to acknowledge the two eras, then a far better solution would have been to print 1993 - 2006 in the colours that were introduced in those two years, or create a logo that does a much better job of combining the two eras than the one used on the front of the new jersey to place on the sleeves.

As for the jersey, it's mid, but it should have been a lot better. Not having an inaccurate date embossed into one of the sleeve stripes would have made this jersey better, as would having the Original crest on the front. As noted earlier, none of the Jerseys that the Ducks will use next season will have Wild Wing on the front, which just feels wrong and the new crest has serious problems.

Spoiler

new-anaheim-ducks-jersey-crest-detail-30

The centering of the font is pretty poor (just look at the capline and the baseline of the lettering and the teal ring), and by not making the font curved to fit the roundel ring, it looks really awkward, and due to the increased size more so than the 1995 shoulder roundel. Just look at the I and M in Anaheim and also the D in relation to the U, that looks really nasty.

The jersey is okay, but it could and should have been a lot better. Wild Wing on the front and 30 anniversary patches on the sleeves would have went a long way.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:39 PM, monkeypower said:

I didn't realize we're dealing with legal documents of establishment that need to be followed to the letter.

I know they're your favourite team and I get the desire to go to bat here, but the "est 2006" bit on a jersey meant to celebrate a 30th anniversary isn't even the worst part here. 

Ducks fans (and everyone else) seemed to want something invoking the original Mighty Ducks sweaters. If not a straight throwback then perhaps the Cup winning template in Mighty Ducks colours and with the Mighty Ducks logo. 

Maybe this is a case of fans working themselves into disappointment but it seems really clear what the people wanted and team :censored:ed it up with a generic template, the Mighty Ducks logo no one really prefers front and centre, and an awkward inclusion of their current Webbed D primary. Like... if someone had to make the most disappointing design possible for the brief "celebrate the Ducks' Mighty Ducks era" this would be it. Even a throwback to the first movie design that Eisner wore when the team was announced would be fun in a deep cut sort of way. This is just... bland and bad and far short of what everyone wanted.

This was an easy put for the team and they sent it into the G-ddamn sand trap. 

So having the wrong founding date on the sleeve is just one more thing to laugh at on top the pile of disappointment this thing is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I know they're your favourite team and I get the desire to go to bat here, but the "est 2006" bit on a jersey meant to celebrate a 30th anniversary isn't even the worst part here. 

So having the wrong founding date on the sleeve is just one more thing to laugh at on top the pile of disappointment this thing is. 

This is what the Ducks marketing VP said this about the years, which is what I was getting at in this thread.

"It's a nice little token or metaphorical timeline as we like to describe it," Tully explained. 

People might not like it, which is fine because all it is is years embossed on a sleeve stripe, but that is the Ducks explanation for the years. It's the two different eras internally considered by the Ducks regardless of what LLC incorporation dates say.

Ducks fans (and everyone else) seemed to want something invoking the original Mighty Ducks sweaters. If not a straight throwback then perhaps the Cup winning template in Mighty Ducks colours and with the Mighty Ducks logo. 

I never was expecting it to be a straight throwback based on both the 20th and 25th anniversaries and I'm surprised that people are so shocked that it's something more conceptual, especially when you consider what they did for the 25th jersey. At the end of the day, this is just intended to be a one season anniversary jersey.

Maybe this is a case of fans working themselves into disappointment

Yes and I think this is the biggest reason for the reaction to the jersey. It's been a really unfortunate week to be part of the Ducks online fanbase because a lot of them really worked themselves into a shoot (that's for you wrestling guy)(you are a wrestling guy right?) with the #2 pick and then the 30th anniversary jersey.

They just got so convinced because of the media saying that Fantilli was #2, it turned into him being the best non-Bedard player since Sidney McDavid-Gretzky, but they didn't take him and instead took a different guy(who was also discussed as #2) and some people couldn't handle that. Then the 30th anniversary jersey came out and it wasn't a straight throwback or the Cup winning template in Mighty Ducks colours and there was another meltdown from some people. People then see these Ducks fans negatively reacting and build on that.

Regardless if people like the jersey or not, which I myself have some problems with it and don't really have any desire to go out and buy it, I can't really find any sympathy for people who built up the head canon of it being a throwback when that never was going to be the case and the Ducks never said it was going to be the case (same with the Carlsson pick). Also, there were still online Ducks fans up to the draft believing the team was going to unveil a completely new jersey set when everything pointed to the contrary.

If people don't like the decision, great, but the Ducks didn't have the intention of it being a straight throwback.

From there, the Ducks worked with the NHL and their apparel supplier, Adidas, to come up with a design that was historic, unique and could serve as a thread for where the team has been and where they want to go next.

Just like the 25th, a more conceptual anniversary jersey.

Ducks marketing guy again,

"I hope they see the depth of thought and the unique take on our history," he said. "We recognize the popularity of our original mark and we're super open-minded about future plans with that mark. But I hope [fans] are as excited as we are to take in the dozen or so games in this anniversary season and give the Anaheim Ducks this new and exciting fresh look."

However, I don't know how much I liked him saying "we're super open-minded about future plans with that mark".

I had always believed that the change the Ducks were going to make would be going back to the Mighty Ducks logo, but keeping the Anaheim Ducks name and colours. But the owners really seem to love their webbed-D baby.

I don't see them ever going back to the eggplant and jade full time outside of an alternate or keeping in a break in case of emergency throwback night. 

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Yes and I think this is the biggest reason for the reaction to the jersey. It's been a really unfortunate week to be part of the Ducks online fanbase because a lot of them really worked themselves into a shoot (that's for you wrestling guy)(you are a wrestling guy right?) with the #2 pick and then the 30th anniversary jersey.

On one hand I get it because some people put the cart before the horse and that was bound to end in disappointment. 

But on the other hand... shut up marketing suits and just give the people what they want. 

• Like 4

On 6/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, LMU said:

They need to figure out the color issue with the crest.  The eggplant jersey only has a black-gray-yellow-white logo and the white jersey only has a black-jade-yellow-white-gray (just as shadowing) logo.  It never sat right with me that the crest was completely devoid of either one or two of the team's primary colors.

I get what you're saying.  On paper there's no way a jersey containing a crest that omits its two main colours could look good...  But I've seen lots of concepts that try and fix this issue by making the Triangle Jade, on the home jersey, and it always looks off.  The circle is supposed to represent a puck so you couldn't really change it to Eggplant so where else would you add that colour?

To me, it's just one of things that shouldn't work but inexplicably does...  Nostalgia probably has a lot to do with it but I just can't picture the jerseys looking any other way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I get what you're saying.  On paper there's no way a jersey containing a crest that omits its two main colours could look good...  But I've seen lots of concepts that try and fix this issue by making the Triangle Jade, on the home jersey, and it always looks off.  The circle is supposed to represent a puck so you couldn't really change it to Eggplant so where else would you add that colour?

To me, it's just one of things that shouldn't work but inexplicably does...  Nostalgia probably has a lot to do with it but I just can't picture the jerseys looking any other way.

I've never heard anyone say that the circle is supposed to be a puck, I think it's just meant to be a circle. This concept shows that it's possible to have the Mighty Ducks logo match the colours.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 2

It's possible, but it doesn't look especially good. The yellow hockey sticks were a nice accent, and the eggplant circle blends into the rest of the base too much. 

I never understood why the triangle went from jade to grey on an eggplant background. It seemed so bland that way. I thought the jade stood out just fine, as it does here.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 minutes ago, GFB said:

The Blackhawks crest/sweater proves that having colors or contrast not found in the sweater can be a net positive and not a problem to be “solved”

Bingo. Every concept I've ever seen here that paint-buckets the Indian Head into strictly red, black, and white is capital-letters Missing The Point.

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, GFB said:

The Blackhawks crest/sweater proves that having colors or contrast not found in the sweater can be a net positive and not a problem to be “solved”

Well, the Blackhawks logo does use all their primary jersey colours. Eggplant was missing from both versions of the Mighty Ducks logo, and the dark jersey version didn’t use eggplant or jade. 

Nashville is an example of adjusting/recolouring the primary logo and improving it. The multiple shades of grey & orange highlights weren’t necessary. 

• Dislike 1

The argument that all the colours found on a team's jersey always have to be present on its accompanying logo is flawed anyways...  Case in point: this jersey has an orange base but doesn't feature the colour anywhere on its logo...  Looks like a perfectly balanced design to me.

dDC7Ip4.png

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The argument that all the colours found on a team's jersey always have to be present on its accompanying logo is flawed anyways...  Case in point: this jersey has an orange base but doesn't feature the colour anywhere on its logo...  Looks like a perfectly balanced design to me.

dDC7Ip4.png

It's a little different when the only colour missing from the logo happens to be the base of the jersey. We've seen plenty of teams use a variation of their main logo on a dark jersey (the Flames home logo doesn't have any red in it, the Blues home logo has no royal blue, the Stars home logo has no green). It's a bit different when the logo is on a white background. The most recent Reverse Retro would've looked worse if the logo had no orange in it.

spacer.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's a little different when the only colour missing from the logo happens to be the base of the jersey. We've seen plenty of teams use a variation of their main logo on a dark jersey (the Flames home logo doesn't have any red in it, the Blues home logo has no royal blue, the Stars home logo has no green). It's a bit different when the logo is on a white background. The most recent Reverse Retro would've looked worse if the logo had no orange in it.

spacer.png

If we can't get the eggplant and jade back, I think most of us will take this as an acceptable alternative...

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 7/4/2023 at 8:24 AM, the admiral said:

It's possible, but it doesn't look especially good. The yellow hockey sticks were a nice accent, and the eggplant circle blends into the rest of the base too much. 

I never understood why the triangle went from jade to grey on an eggplant background. It seemed so bland that way. I thought the jade stood out just fine, as it does here.

I've always found any concept that switches out the black from the logo makes it look too washed out.

I don't know if there's ever been anything said about the decision to have the grey triangle. I can only assume they were worried about the jade not contrasting enough?

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

While we're still DuckJacked, two things I remember seeing in an internet post years ago that want to take the temperature of.

Firstly, everyone knows the Mighty Ducks name came from the movie and the in-canon reason being that Gordan Bombay named the team after his boss Mr. Duckworth as a way to get Duckworth to sponsor the team. The post I saw says Michael Eisner named the movie after his fraternity, which was Delta Upsilon and who's animal/mascot is a duck.

Secondly, the NHL team logo is based on a flipped Delta Upsilon badge.

200px-Delta_Upsilon_Member_Badge.svg.png

Eisner naming the movie after his fraternity seems plausible enough for me, but I don't know about the logo. 

When searching it now, the only thing that comes up is some old Delta Upsilon info webpage hosted on the Old Dominion University website claiming the Mighty Ducks name comes from the fraternity.

IbjBaeE.png

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

While we're still DuckJacked, two things I remember seeing in an internet post years ago that want to take the temperature of.

Firstly, everyone knows the Mighty Ducks name came from the movie and the in-canon reason being that Gordan Bombay named the team after his boss Mr. Duckworth as a way to get Duckworth to sponsor the team. The post I saw says Michael Eisner named the movie after his fraternity, which was Delta Upsilon and who's animal/mascot is a duck.

Secondly, the NHL team logo is based on a flipped Delta Upsilon badge.

200px-Delta_Upsilon_Member_Badge.svg.png

Eisner naming the movie after his fraternity seems plausible enough for me, but I don't know about the logo. 

When searching it now, the only thing that comes up is some old Delta Upsilon info webpage hosted on the Old Dominion University website claiming the Mighty Ducks name comes from the fraternity.

I doubt the fraternity would want their crest flipped to make a hockey crest. Also the mighty duck logo we know today didn’t come until the next movie/pro team existing.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:58 AM, monkeypower said:

What about the W's in the tape for Walt Disney?

AVngKSY.png

• LOL 1
  • WOAH 2
  • Huh? 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."