2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I can't wait to hear the BS reason for the exact number of sleeve stripes. "The number of sleeve stripes represents the number of times we had no offense or defense and left Henrik Lundqvist out to dry in a heartbreaking playoff loss"

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Thoughts on this guy's concept?

I'm catching some serious throwback HBO vibes from this one...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The jersey itself is whatever. Rangers shield logo has always been a weak logo for a sweater. It's obvious why they almost never use it on anything, even alts. It's very boxy and awkward, despite how iconic it may be. 

That's not to say it can't work because it has but only with the retro, more round shield. 

brandondubinsky2012bridgestonenhlwinterr

They missed a huge opportunity to bring back the NEW YORK scrip in some form or fashion on the alts.

new-york-rangers-v-boston-bruins.jpg?s=6

ceremony.png?token=Maxx9zaH20TWgoBbmIWTa

• Like 3

XM4KeeA.png

I was going to say I don’t get the vitriol, Lady Liberty jerseys are better and the LL identity is better, but these are a one-off design trying something different. So what?

But I do understand the vitriol, for some people things are either good or bad with no middle ground. Haters gonna hate.

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

43 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I'm so confused on why the Leafs BFBS jersey exists in the first place.

I absolutely agree. This is Toronto, an Original 6 team that has worn nothing but royal blue and white for almost a hundred years exclusively. Truth is, I don’t have a problem with the uniform - my problem is the team that’s wearing it.

• Applause 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I absolutely agree. This is Toronto, an Original 6 team that has worn nothing but royal blue and white for almost a hundred years exclusively. Truth is, I don’t have a problem with the uniform - my problem is the team that’s wearing it.

At least when the Blackhawks had a black alternate in the 2000s, black is an established part of their color scheme. The Bruins obviously have black as their primary color. The Red Wings used black for their most recent Reverse Retro, but haven't for any other jersey as far as I know. I don't think the Rangers or Habs have ever had black in any of their jerseys.

So I'd say this is the only true BFBS jersey I've ever seen an O6 team use (Red Wings RR2 is debatable).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I mean, the problem with Toronto is their extremely limited color palette makes it absurdly difficult to come up with interesting alternate ideas that aren't just "throwback to something before" or "slight alteration of look we had before". That, or something that looks nigh-identical to what they already wear (which at that point why even bother with the alternate at all).

Which is fine for a while, but fans will inevitably want to see a team do something bold and new (take the rising demand for a black Detroit alternate jersey as an example) with an alternate jersey; and when a team starts heavy experimentation with their identity, you're inevitably going to have some duds.

The problem is that at least Toronto swung for the fences and tried a unique idea, even if the execution was kinda mediocre. The Rangers...just did a worse version of a Devils jersey that was already not that popular. It's like instead of trying to swing for a base hit or homer, they just bunted.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, the problem with Toronto is their extremely limited color palette makes it absurdly difficult to come up with interesting alternate ideas that aren't just "throwback to something before" or "slight alteration of look we had before". That, or something that looks nigh-identical to what they already wear (which at that point why even bother with the alternate at all).

Which is fine for a while, but fans will inevitably want to see a team do something bold and new (take the rising demand for a black Detroit alternate jersey as an example) with an alternate jersey; and when a team starts heavy experimentation with their identity, you're inevitably going to have some duds.

The problem is that at least Toronto swung for the fences and tried a unique idea, even if the execution was kinda mediocre. The Rangers...just did a worse version of a Devils jersey that was already not that popular. It's like instead of trying to swing for a base hit or homer, they just bunted.

I know what you’re saying but I think there are some teams that should just leave their uniforms alone. Speaking of Toronto, why didn’t they just bring back their 2017 Centennial Classic uniform. It would be a perfect alternate for the Leafs.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Speaking of Toronto, why didn’t they just bring back their 2017 Centennial Classic uniform. It would be a perfect alternate for the Leafs.

Because that doesn't give them the opportunity to promote a partnership with Justin Bieber.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

22 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

This Rangers jersey has got to be up there with the Turd Burger, the black Islanders script and the Devil's current third "Jersey" as one of the most unapologetically hideous alternate designs in recent memory...  This abomination, and I do not use that term lightly, is not fit for a minor league team let alone an Original Six franchise.

What was the goal here?  To take the most universally loathed uniform in Rangers history and make it exponentially worse?   Using any of the three Liberty designs would have been a better direction to take.  Absolutely hate it!

J8uDCf5.jpg

I'd like to see the Rangers add hem striping to the navy Lady Liberty jersey and see if that works. Never been a fan of jerseys that don't have hem striping and/or a chestband, always felt like the bottom of the jersey felt "empty".

A black Leafs jersey could work...  If any effort was put into it what so ever.  The laziness of that design borders on offensive.  All they did was take their road jersey and swap white for black ending up with something entirely devoid of contrast, creativity or a reason to exist outside of the Justin Bieber product placement nobody asked for.  Gotta love how it features black numbers on a black base...  Just to hammer home its complete aversion to basic design principles.