2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

20 minutes ago, Ark said:

Agreed but the old uniforms are better

s-l1600.jpg

Look at the outlines! Not to mention the standard name on back...

I agree. My point is that the new uniforms are already a significant step in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:13 PM, ruttep said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I cannot understate how much I like the new (old) shade of orange more.

Although I really like the new orange, the new jerseys are far too plain. One thing I love about the 70’s look is the waist stripe and I have always liked the unique design of the old uniforms over the new ones. I think some small tweaks to their just retired uniforms would have been a better choice. If I had my way, they would have removed the nameplates, switched to the darker orange and fix the collar.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

One thing I love about the 70’s look is the waist stripe and I have always liked the unique design of the old uniforms over the new ones. I think some small tweaks to their just retired uniforms would have been a better choice. If I had my way, they would have removed the nameplates, switched to the darker orange and fix the collar.

I also miss the orange waist-stripe.  The black stripe on the new uniforms is entirely redundant, they're already wearing black pants.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The fact that they're using single layer captain's patches on the orange jerseys (which I don't think they've ever done) is proof that there'd be no legibility issues with white names on the back.

spacer.png

You're absolutely right but YIKES this is the font they chose for the captain letters?

They got absolutely nothing right except the updated shade of orange with this rebrand. How is it possible to f*** up so bad something that should have been so simple?

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

You're absolutely right but YIKES this is the font they chose for the captain letters?

They got absolutely nothing right except the updated shade of orange with this rebrand. How is it possible to f*** up so bad something that should have been so simple?

It's...a standard block font? I don't see what the big "yikes" is for.

Unless it's for it being single-color, but even then they've done that before with the 80's-2000's white;

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

The Medicine Hat Tigers have better Flyers jerseys than the Flyers.

website3.jpg?v=1688578427&width=3840

15278914_web1_190124-RDA-Rebels-Tigers-P

Obviously the Flyers would need to flip the orange and black, but just steal these jerseys.

I disagree, personally; I think the wider yoke is a better look because it contains the numbers far better. If there's one aesthetic thing that will always kneecap a uniform for me, it's when a team's TV numbers are poorly-contained, because that just screams "we designed this jersey without TV numbers in mind".

The hem striping, I could see, since that's really the only part of the 90's set the Flyers are clearly aping I think is better on the Tigers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

It's...a standard block font? 

Exactly. That's what the problem is. It's boring

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They've used quirky, unique and at times unusual fonts for captain letters (or at the very least the A, the C has been a bit more on the basic side for a few decades now I'll give you that) for most of their history. If you have no problem with the Flyers using a plain, generic, one color block font I have no idea what to tell you. The whole redesign screams "low budget" and this is another downgrade added to the long list imo

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Exactly. That's what the problem is. It's boring

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

They've used quirky, unique and at times unusual fonts for captain letters (or at the very least the A, the C has been a bit more on the basic side for a few decades now I'll give you that) for most of their history. If you have no problem with the Flyers using a plain, generic, one color block font I have no idea what to tell you. The whole redesign screams "low budget" and this is another downgrade added to the long list imo

There are definitely issues with the low effort put into this rebrand, but I really don't think the font of the captaincy patches is one of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

There are definitely issues with the low effort put into this rebrand, but I really don't think the font of the captaincy patches is one of them.

It's a matter of opinion. The fact is that it made them unique and now they just have a generic A that doesn't scream Flyers the way the old one with the serifs did. Let's agree to disagree I guess

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't understand the hate for the Flyers’ contrasting nameplates. I always thought they were a charming little quirk.

I’ve always liked the white nameplate on the orange jersey, and there was even a couple of games in the 70’s to give it historical precedent. 

But the black nameplate is terrible. The plain black lettering would have been a better choice, or even an orange nameplate would have been more aesthetic. 

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I like the Flyers darker shade of orange, too, but I wish they would have kept the stripe on the hem (just seems like classic Flyers to me). I also wish they would have put trim on the sleeve numbers - if there's trim on the back number, there should be trim on the sleeve numbers IMO.

To me, the 1970s Broad Street Bullies uniform was perfect. It had the darker orange, the trim in the sleeve numbers and the stripe on the hem.

Was it plain? You could say that, but the orange and black made it pop.

More importantly, you could just get a quick glimpse of the uniform and you knew that was the Philadelphia Flyers. When a uniform can achieve that kind of recognition, it's usually a keeper.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I don't understand the hate for the Flyers’ contrasting nameplates. I always thought they were a charming little quirk.

The white one makes some degree of sense as an ad hoc solution and as a more legible alternative than white on orange. It doesn't need an inverted version: you already had the white nameplates and black letters on hand for white. 

I wish it became a signature quirk of the Flyers from day one rather than being dug out of a historical footnote in the late 2000s. It's one that could only work for them: we don't care about precious details, we only care about beating you up.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

Fleury's yellow pads look amazing.

I'm more impressed with his mask...  Shades of Jon Casey.

Still, no one will ever convince me that this scheme isn't exponentially improved with black.  And that the final green North Stars jersey isn't one of the best looking sweaters of all time.  Just needed to ditch the black pants.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

I'm more impressed with his mask...  Shades of Jon Casey.

Still, no one will ever convince me that this scheme isn't exponentially improved with black.  And that the final green North Stars jersey isn't one of the best looking sweaters of all time.  Just needed to ditch the black pants.

Yeah, I have no idea why they decided to go with a green helmet and black pants for the late 80s/early 90s jersey:

spacer.png

• Like 1