2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

12 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The Predators issue isn't the use of gold at home, that was a brilliant move that has really helped their brand stand out.  It's ridiculously bland jerseys, with nondescript, minimalist striping.  Time has shown that maybe getting rid of silver entirely wasn't the best idea either.  Still, they are very close to a great design and in my opinion, the solution lies between these two designs...  Surely there's the potential for the perfect Predators jersey there.

DUt7vDg.jpg

Go with their second Reverse Retro template, but modernize the number font, *maybe* tweak the modern crest to add silver somehow, and wear a navy bucket. (Photo for reference; I'm not Photoshopping it right now.)

shoe1pxm822b1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

10 hours ago, ruttep said:

I agree that the Preds' minimalist design is the main issue here, but I'll reiterate that I don't like yellow as a jersey color because it doesn't work as a light jersey or a dark jersey. Wear it against white, the game looks too light. Wear it against a color jersey, the game looks too dark.

I honestly didn't think this was a problem when they wore navy helmets at home, the first few years after the rebrand.

• Like 2

Prior to the current uniforms, which are just plain boring, I thought all the Predators' designs from their inception through 2017 were solid, but just missing something to put them over the top (the 2007-2011 designs were the weakest of the three since they were full Reebok Edge template, but they weren't bad imo). What that is, I don't know. I think they were always close to figuring it out before stripping away all of the uniforms' personality in 2017.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think this was the first true :censored: up that they made (yellow helmets):

spacer.png

Honestly, I don't think their current jersey is too far off from being legitimately good; the problem is that the yellow is overwhelming until you reach the bottom, where it just becomes a giant chunk of navy. If they, say, had a navy shoulder yoke and helmet, that would go a long way to balancing the jersey out more.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Honestly, I don't think their current jersey is too far off from being legitimately good; the problem is that the yellow is overwhelming until you reach the bottom, where it just becomes a giant chunk of navy. If they, say, had a navy shoulder yoke and helmet, that would go a long way to balancing the jersey out more.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Yeah, the previous Reebok uniforms might've been a little overdesigned, but the little spots of navy on the jersey just above the logo on the front and the names on the back made a huge difference

• Like 1

All this talk about the Nashville Predators uniforms and I’m really surprised no one has discussed their navy blue Reebok third jersey from the end of the 2000s. I still think they should’ve gone with that and the matching away they were planning on wearing it with. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

56 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

All this talk about the Nashville Predators uniforms and I’m really surprised no one has discussed their navy blue Reebok third jersey from the end of the 2000s. I still think they should’ve gone with that and the matching way they were planning on wearing it with. 

spacer.png

This one? This is way too plain for the Nashville Predators. I love traditional uniform designs and single-color designs such as the Wings and Leafs are classics, but this jersey doesn't have much personality at all. It's the way too traditional jersey design that every expansion team releases at some point (Winter Classics notwithstanding), and it never really works.

For a few examples:

The Ducks:

spacer.png

The Coyotes:

spacer.png

The Panthers:

spacer.png

The Hurricanes:

spacer.png

The Sharks:

spacer.png

I'd even argue the Lightning's current uniforms fit into this category, there's a reason that look was nicknamed the Maple Wings. But it's gonna be the one look out of this bunch that stands the test of time because the Lightning turned into a dynasty in them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Didnt that navy blue Preds alternate have subtle checkered flag pattern on the striping?

Edit: yeah, it did.  Fond a good pic

Predators10.png

The issue is that it's not visible unless you really look for it. The pattern is a little too subtle imo, and the jersey just looks way too plain and way too traditional for a team called the Nashville Predators that began play in the late 90s.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I still think they should’ve gone with that and the matching way they were planning on wearing it with. 

Came very close to happening...  Looks great in a vacuum but there are already two primarily blue and white teams in the league.

eVjRjQ4.jpg

• Meh 2
  • Yawn 1

I don't think the Predators have ever looked good, but the EDGE uniforms were in the bottom three of EDGE disasters and may have been the worst. 

YUCK 

635883823698627902-2008-Jason-Arnott.JPG

38850.jpg

I wouldn't be sad if the logo and yellow jerseys got a full makeover. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Some other EDGE disasters that I would put at the bottom of the barrel (geez 2007-08 was trash):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

(This was technically introduced the year before, but you can't tell me this wasn't designed for the EDGE template)

spacer.png

How to ruin a classic (darken the blue, introduce front numbers, add in unnecessary grey):

spacer.png

The worst of the three jerseys in this template (the other two were OTT and TB) because of the khaki "Vegas gold." Every game that featured the Penguins in these uniforms looked washed out. Just because they raised the Cup twice doesn't make them better:

spacer.png

• Like 2

If we could get away for a moment from a bad logo franchise to a good one: The Kraken keep earning my hard-earned money by making sweaters that look even better with numbers on them. I wasn’t all that crazy about the RR or the Winter Classic jerseys… until they put numbers on them. Take the color balance on the RRs, for example:

spacer.png

the dark blue stripe seems unnecessarily huge but it does two cool things: allows for those gorgeous light blue numbers and on the front it makes it seem like the Kraken logo is rising up out of the dark blue, kinda like it’s coming out of the ocean. 

Now the Winter Classic sweaters: at first I wasn’t sold on the cream color but now that I’ve seen it in person? Holy moly. It’s so warm, and then the red kraken logo makes the sweater feel even warmer and more Christmas-y. I love it. The number font is still excellent and everything balances color-wise for me. I really think the Kraken should consider ditching plain white all together and go to cream or off-white altogether. They just keep knocking it out of the park with branding and design. Now if the team could just start turning it around.

spacer.png

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

6 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I really think the Kraken should consider ditching plain white all together and go to cream or off-white altogether. 

Off-white works on throwback or fauxback uniforms because it gives off the appearance of age. The looks that those uniforms are "throwing back" to were originally designed with regular white, but whether through age or material limitations, the physical sweaters from that time period appear off-white to us now. It's a fun complementary color or alternate color, but I don't want it to become a primary look.

• Like 4

Yeah, cream/off-white works in moderation, but I'd have to imagine the league doesn't want the appearance of one of their franchises having a jersey that looks old and unwashed as a full-time jersey.

Plus there's the issue of white balancing for cameras and stuff to consider, as well.

29 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Yeah, cream/off-white works in moderation, but I'd have to imagine the league doesn't want the appearance of one of their franchises having a jersey that looks old and unwashed as a full-time jersey.

Plus there's the issue of white balancing for cameras and stuff to consider, as well.

I certainly hope the reason for it isn't the same as it is in the NBA, who say that the color messes with their advertisements.

I don't love the Kraken identity but I think they're doing a really solid job so far which I love to see. 

I love the Knights identity but I think they've gone a little too far with their kind of ugly gold jerseys and the dumb chrome helmets. (But they're Vegas so I guess they get a bit of a pass, tbf).

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:44 PM, TenaciousG said:

spacer.png

Seattle really knocked it out of the park with this one.  While their Reverse Retro felt cramped and somewhat hastily thrown together, this uniform is executed perfectly from top to bottom.  The simplification of the logo and nonchalant script are brilliant.  As is the decision to have red restricted to the logo and numbers.  Part of me wishes they had done something different for the Winter Classic so this could be their full time alternate.  It's that good.  Best use of vintage white I've seen in sometime.

• Like 2