2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

23 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

....some of the RR's involved color swaps that simply didn't fit with the ethos of the original designs, they didn't make sense in that arrangement. The Lightning taking the OG storm jersey and giving it a white background was nonsensical because you don't picture storms occurring in bright surroundings.

I respectfully disagree.  What happens to the darkest of skies when they are illuminated by Lightning...  They can turn white, even if it's only for a split-second.  I see the Lightning Reverse retro as a capture of that split second and in that context it works. 

I'm sure many will disagree with this interpretation but I love that jersey.  Hell, the two Reverse Retro's are the only good designs the Lightning have come up since winning the cup in 2004.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 4:04 PM, spudrik79 said:

Shoulder patches are the chef's kiss 👌

The Panthers moved to an outlet mall off an expressway west of Fort Lauderdale so that they could get away from The Ethnics

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Lightning tease that leaked third jersey for next week.  Per the link below, sounds like it will be worn for the 15th, 17th, and 19th.

http://tbl.co/third--jersey

After Tampa wears this uniform for the required amount of time, I think it’s time for them to try a third jersey that is a completely new idea. I think they need something that uses an electric blue and perhaps some lightning bolts on the sleeves. If I sound crazy saying this, so be it, I don’t care. Tampa Bay needs to go back to the drawing board with their uniforms. If they are going to keep their main uniforms as is, at least give us an alternate uniform that’s exciting and fresh. I usually prefer simple uniforms and I kind of think I will like their new alternate but still… I think Tampa Bay has become a little too simple.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

After Tampa wears this uniform for the required amount of time, I think it’s time for them to try a third jersey that is a completely new idea. I think they need something that uses an electric blue and perhaps some lightning bolts on the sleeves. If I sound crazy saying this, so be it, I don’t care. Tampa Bay needs to go back to the drawing board with their uniforms. If they are going to keep their main uniforms as is, at least give us an alternate uniform that’s exciting and fresh. I usually prefer simple uniforms and I kind of think I will like their new alternate but still… I think Tampa Bay has become a little too simple.

72525315.jpg.jpg

SFUTvkG7EhhyM2v6p2zz6YFMGlwDjfuMSmGJZl1F

F9TKe7PWAAA98rG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I honestly wouldn't expect to see this third jersey more than this year.  If rumors are true, because of the Fanatics changeover next season, jerseys will be limited to just home and road (much like the Reebok changeover of 2007).  

19 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I honestly wouldn't expect to see this third jersey more than this year.  If rumors are true, because of the Fanatics changeover next season, jerseys will be limited to just home and road (much like the Reebok changeover of 2007).  

And the Adidas changeover of 2017

• Like 1

For the first time in who knows how long, the Carolina Hurricanes are wearing white helmets with their white jerseys by their own choice, and of course the only reason they're doing so is to play Whalers cosplay.

This organization's uniform decisions are a complete joke.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 1

5 hours ago, ruttep said:

For the first time in who knows how long, the Carolina Hurricanes are wearing white helmets with their white jerseys by their own choice, and of course the only reason they're doing so is to play Whalers cosplay.

Is there any other team that throws back to a former identity in a former city as much as the Canes do?

45 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Is there any other team that throws back to a former identity in a former city as much as the Canes do?

Technically the Tennessee Titans did this season since they threw back to the Houston Oilers twice.

13 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

They're making up for lost time--in the early 2000s, you couldn't even pull Whalers throwbacks in the video games because Connecticut still held the rights. 

There's always been something contemptuous (and contemptible) about the meme team's use of the Hartford stuff. It's not about honoring that history, because what history? It's a victory lap for them because they're still here and the Whalers will never be. It's their reddit-rot fans getting one over on the people who wish this were still the weird regional league we fell in love with. 

• Like 3
  • Eyeroll 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So does rebranding after a relocation suddenly make you ineligible for throwback jerseys? People don't seem to take issue with the Lakers wearing Minneapolis throwbacks, or Memphis breaking out the Vancouver Grizzlies uniforms, but suddenly it's a problem when the Canes & Titans decide to dip into their history.

I grew up as an  Expos fan, and I didn't have any issue with the Nationals dressing in the old powder blue Montreal uniforms a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

So does rebranding after a relocation suddenly make you ineligible for throwback jerseys? People don't seem to take issue with the Lakers wearing Minneapolis throwbacks, or Memphis breaking out the Vancouver Grizzlies uniforms, but suddenly it's a problem when the Canes & Titans decide to dip into their history.

I grew up as an  Expos fan, and I didn't have any issue with the Nationals dressing in the old powder blue Montreal uniforms a few years ago.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with the rebrand itself. Most of the negative reaction has to do with how the franchise handles the history of the previous location. A rebrand is often a sign that the franchise isn't recognizing that previous history though.

When teams like the Canes move and start from a blank slate (not recognizing retired numbers, new team name, etc.), they kind of lose the right to wear throwbacks. If they haven't previously celebrated the history of the former location of the franchise, then wearing/selling throwbacks just looks like a complete moneygrab.

I would loosely liken it to the difference between Canada and the USA's relationship with the British monarchy (not a direct analogy, but hear me out). If the US all of a sudden started printing the monarchs on their money, we would all kind of collectively say WTF.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:07 PM, ruttep said:

Agreed.  Their entire uniform history, since winning the cup in 06, has been an endless comedy of blunders...

Cluttering their distinctive Championship jerseys with unnecessary piping.

Ditching their storm flag striping to play Team Canada cosplay and having a generic road counterpart that doesn't even match.

Somewhat redeeming their home jersey for the Adidas changeover while leaving the road unchanged.

Managing to make their already abysmal road jersey even worse with a derivative diagonal script, bush-league nickname and worse striping.

Making their ridiculously ugly Black alternate their full time home jersey.

Bringing back their best jersey for one season before retiring it for good.

Not having a matching home and road in over ten years.

Not being able to decide on a primary logo.

Coloured helmets on the road. 

Minimizing silver to the point where it barely exists.

The list goes on and on...

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • WOAH 1

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

My vote for best uniform matchup of the season

I think I identified this a little while ago as what I consider to be the best uniform matchup for me. Agreed. I think it's pretty much flawless.

• Applause 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

16 hours ago, mattwillcox said:

When teams like the Canes move and start from a blank slate (not recognizing retired numbers, new team name, etc.), they kind of lose the right to wear throwbacks. If they haven't previously celebrated the history of the former location of the franchise, then wearing/selling throwbacks just looks like a complete moneygrab.

They hadn't previously celebrated their Whalers history because they didn't have the trademarks, and because the previous owner was the one who actually moved the team out of CT. Tom Dundon had nothing to do with the relocation, and seems earnest about wanting to honour the Whaler legacy. Obviously it doesn't hurt that their logo & uniforms are probably the most beloved of any former franchise, but any throwback/alternate jersey is a money grab.

At this point I'd say Hartford has the longest odds to get another team of any former Big 4 city. I'll take the Canes playing Whaler dress up a couple times a year over never seeing the uniforms on the ice again.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

33 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Too much red. Nothing will beat this one

NHL Predictions: Nov. 26 with Minnesota Wild vs Detroit Red Wings - Last  Word On Hockey

Not even the best uniform matchup featuring the North Stars throwback. Let's throw some blue into that:

spacer.png

(The Rangers' and Flames' away jerseys are also my two favorite away jerseys in the league)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Not even the best uniform matchup featuring the North Stars throwback. Let's throw some blue into that:

spacer.png

(The Rangers' and Flames' away jerseys are also my two favorite away jerseys in the league)

For sure. I'll throw Buffalo's hat into that ring as well. Their away set is great. 

• Love 2