2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I guess the hem stripe is just meant to tie in their current primary jersey design. The logo treatment is great, and bringing back the inaugural font is a nice tough (although I'd personally have preferred the paintbrush numbers). It isn't perfect, but it's the best black jersey they've had since the switch to Reebok Edge in '07.

Also, we don't have a thread for next season up yet, but it sounds like the 2025 Stadium Series will be Columbus vs. Detroit at the horseshoe. I'm not sure how much they'll lean into the Michigan-Ohio State elements when it comes to the uniforms, but it would be cool to see the Red Wings use a red & white version of the Wolverines' classic helmet.

• Like 1

The crest of the new TB third works really well IMO. Better than I thought it would. It's funny that after a period that roundels were overused, it's kind of nice to see a jersey using one again. 

The rest of the jersey is meh other than the numbers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

A nice nod for the three cups representing the colors of the jersey won in the Cup  clinching game (04 black, 20 white, 21 blue)

The numbers are a cool touch but kinda wish the NOB letters somehow matched the early unis, even in single layer. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's better than their last two attempts at a black alternate but that really isn't saying much. 

Everything about the construction of this jersey screams "lazy."  From trying to pass off a poor shoulder patch as the primary crest to the maddening use of Detroit's single, floating hem stripe (again!).  It's an alternate jersey.  The hem is allowed to be different from the home and roads.  Why not use a hem design similar to your first black jersey?  All it would take is making the bottom stripe blue.

I like the use of silver on the sleeve stripes but why is it featured nowhere else on the jersey?  Adding some metallic silver to the logo and numbers would have gone a long way as well.  The liberal use of metallic silver on the primary crest was the most distinctive element of their inaugural set.  Why not give that shoulder-patch-turned-primary similar treatment?  Or better yet, just use the inaugural logo instead.

Overall, it's just another "alternate for alternate's sake" that proves that creatively in NHL third jerseys was last seen on the back of a milk carton...  I honestly hope the Fanatics switchover gives us a break from third jerseys for a while.  So many of them are either pointless, lesser versions of their primaries (see NYI, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Washington) or complete dumpster fires that sink their respective brands (see Arizona, Dallas, New Jersey, NYR, Philadelphia and Toronto). 

• Like 6

It's alright, but it isn't really anything special. I am glad that they brought back drop shadowed numbers (I can see why it would be awkward to make them silver when there isn't any silver elsewhere on the jersey). The collar showing the uniform colors that they've lifted the Cup in is cool.

I will continue to maintain that the roundel logo makes this jersey feel extremely dated. If they released this like 14-15 years ago, it'd be perfect. There's only two other teams that wear a late 00s-style roundel logo on their alternate jersey: Columbus (released in 2010-11) and Anaheim.

The hem stripe is lazy. A single white stripe is a complete nothing burger of a design. 

Overall, it's just okay. I agree with @Morgan33, that it's an alternate for alternate's sake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

bringing back the inaugural font is a nice tough (although I'd personally have preferred the paintbrush numbers).

Unfortunately, it's not the inaugural font, just their current one given a similar shadowing treatment. The inaugural font had no bottom serif on the 1, and an incredibly distinctive open-topped 4 that was mimicked in the letter A on players' names.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

They absolutely nailed the gloves. 10/10

As far as I'm concerned they just need to bring back black gear, they could even keep the current jerseys

Nah, the current jerseys are still :censored:.  They could win 10 championships in a row in them and they would be still be bland, characterless trash completely ill suited to represent a cool and exciting name like Lightning.

"Comrades! We have designed our glorious flag of the revolution! Are you ready to bear this standard?"
"lol did somebody say mcdonalds :)" 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫