2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

3 hours ago, Klondyke said:

We've also seen this a few times in some soccer kits, where they accidentally put something resembling to a Swastika in the design pattern.

I'm sure it was an easy mistake for FC Vilnius to make.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

After seeing the Flyers/Devils Stadium Series game, I did not like either uniform. I find it interesting that years ago the NHL would make teams such as the Flames switch to white letters for player names after initially planning on black letters yet New Jersey gets the ok to have completely illegible letters on their jersey tonight. I think it’s too close to their regular home jersey but made worse without any white. I like the logo. That design flipped in black would be a big improvement over the Jersey jersey if they do another third jersey anytime soon.

On 2/16/2024 at 2:16 AM, Morgan33 said:

rA5hYhr.jpg

*the best jersey the Blue Jackets have ever iced.

*Modeled after the best jersey the Blue Jackets have ever had. Should have had navy shoulders and red piping on this one.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/16/2024 at 2:12 PM, Cujo said:

I just don't get how you build that uniform and NOT see the Blue Lives Matter flag. That's the very first thing that comes to mind in that "ViCtOrY StRiPeS" image they tweeted out.

I dunno man, I'm not gonna let a bunch of :censored:s ruin a black/blue/white color scheme that easily.

• Like 3

spacer.png

The Canes actually chose to wear white helmets with their white jerseys in this game against the Sabres when they didn't have to -- I'm honestly shocked (they're on a 2 game road trip, their other opponent is the Blue Jackets, who don't have a red helmet).

• Like 1

Apparently the Kraken wore their Winter Classic uniforms again last Saturday against the Wild (the same night the Flames and Oilers reprised their Heritage Classic matchup). It did include the unwelcome addition of their ad patch.

spacer.png

• Hurl 1

It's been 4 seasons and I still absolutely loathe the Avalanche in blue equipment.  Championship or not, it still looks awful.

The original uniforms were designed for Blue to be the secondary colour and for blue and burgundy to never touch...  Yet this idiotic decision breaks both of those rules.  It looks the worst at home where the blue completely overpowers the burgundy base.

It's time for the Avalanche to bring back the uniforms that hoisted the cup in 2001...  The colours were properly balanced, the numbers were more legible, the mountain striping looked better and the footprint shoulder patches actually matched the art style of the primary logo.  Everything about that set is superior to the dogs dinner they have now.  Bring back the original set, keep the navy alternate and don't change anything again.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 6

6 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

It's been 4 seasons and I still absolutely loathe the Avalanche in blue equipment.  Championship or not, it still looks awful.

The original uniforms were designed for Blue to be the secondary colour and for blue and burgundy to never touch...  Yet this idiotic decision breaks both of those rules.  It looks the worst at home where the blue completely overpowers the burgundy base.

It's time for the Avalanche to bring back the uniforms that hoisted the cup in 2001...  The colours were properly balanced, the numbers were more legible, the mountain striping looked better and the footprint shoulder patches actually matched the art style of the primary logo.  Everything about that set is superior to the dogs dinner they have now.  Bring back the original set, keep the navy alternate and don't change anything again.

I don't blame you here. I don't love the blue either at least with the current color balancing of the rest of the uniform. But, I also don't think black is the answer either. They don't need a complete overhaul. Just some tweaks (especially on the road set) to make the blue equipment work. The blue pants just look strange with the road set. They look just as out of place as black equipment would. 

I kind of feel like they need to decide if they want to be primarily an icy blue team or primarily a maroon team. It seems like both colors are fighting each other for supremacy a bit. 

9 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Blue equipment was the best move the team has done since going back to the mountain design. The font, lack of blue stripe on the road jersey and the boring C on the shoulders are what need to be fixed. At least now the striping and socks match on the home uni

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Blue might've been the secondary colour on the burgundy jerseys, but not the white jerseys. They had burgundy sleeves, black numbers/names, and black pants. Blue was basically used equally with silver on the white uniform, while the burgundy used hardly any silver altogether. It was clear that they were using one too many colours, and needed to decide between silver & black.

The current set could use some tweaks, but I wouldn't say it looks awful. As mentioned above, adding a blue stripe along the sleeves of the road jersey would go a long way, as would more consistency with the numbers. Currently they use white numbers outlined in silver on the back of the burgundy jersey, but use white numbers outlined in blue on the burgundy sleeves.

• Like 1

The big issue with the Avalanche involves the chroma of their colors. If you grayscale them, you'll barely notice a difference. That's why they seem to fight against one another.

I've seen many concept this idea out, but essentially, the best move for the Avs is to darken the shade of one of those colors and brighten the tone or tint or the other, to create a little more separation.

Take a look at this:

wallpaper?i=58854&desktop

Right now the Avs colors are closer to the blue and burgundy swatches second and third from the right. I think either a darker red (okay, burgundy) and light blue or a dark blue (like that navy, though I know some wouldn't care for yet another navy team) and even the burgundy next to that navy, or even better, the burgundy all the way to the left, would help improve the appearance of their colorway (especially if they choose to continue to incorporate the silver/gray).

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

Blue equipment was the best move the team has done since going back to the mountain design.

How?  Blue completely overpowers their main colour at home and on the road, you have burgundy and blue touching, which as their Edge disasters proved, looks awful.  The blue numbers on the road, outlined in burgundy look terrible too.  The whole set is just a mess.  Every change they've made since 1996 has been a downgrade including darkening the burgundy.  Give me the Forsberg, Roy, Sakic look any day of the week.  There was nothing wrong with that set until Reebok destroyed it and Adidas forgot to bring back the double mountain stripes when attempting to fix it.

This a balanced uniform

pSDxhH3.jpg

This is a blue-heavy mess

BebFfL4.jpg

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It was clear that they were using one too many colours, and needed to decide between silver & black.

They're still using all those colours anyways.  It's not as if black is completely absent from the uniform.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

How?  Blue completely overpowers their main colour at home and on the road, you have burgundy and blue touching, which as their Edge disasters proved, looks awful.  The blue numbers on the road, outlined in burgundy look terrible too.  The whole set is just a mess.  Every change they've made since 1996 has been a downgrade including darkening the burgundy.  Give me the Forsberg, Roy, Sakic look any day of the week.  There was nothing wrong with that set until Reebok destroyed it and Adidas forgot to bring back the double mountain stripes when attempting to fix it.

This a balanced uniform

pSDxhH3.jpg

This is a blue-heavy mess

BebFfL4.jpg

They're still using all those colours anyways.  It's not as if black is completely absent from the uniform.

Seeing this side by side, you are right on the money about the double mountain stripe. Something about that really hammers home the mountain idea.  And with that black stripe, the black equipment works. 

I was on the fence on the equipment color change, but you may have just won me over with this post with caveat that the jerseys also revert back to the original design. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

They really aren't using black anymore. Yes it's used sparingly in the logos, but it's no different than how Chicago uses green & yellow.

With the pre-Edge set, the colour balances were different between the two main jerseys. The dark jersey was burgundy/blue/black/white, while the light jersey was white/burgundy/silver/blue. The black equipment made some sense with the burgundy jersey, but looked out of place with the white jersey (especially if you saw one without numbers). It's similar to how the Golden Knights improved their road uniform by switching the black pants to grey.

• Like 3