2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

3 hours ago, gsn93 said:

I'm not ragging on you since you're not the only person who uses it, but I really dislike the notion of "team won a championship in 'XYZ' uniform" as the end all be all answer to anything uniform change related. Especially, since the Avalanche won twice wearing their original set.* What makes their current set untouchable compared the the 1996-2007 sets? It's a minor pet peeve but I see it all the time on the forums.

*I understand that the uniform changed slightly between the 1996 and 2001 cup wins. Whatever close enough.

I agree that it shouldn't be the end all, but it is how a lot of teams and fanbases base their perceptions of certain uniforms. It's one of those things that will be relevant in uniform decision-making, whether you like it or not (along with other top hits such as players or owners preferring a certain look).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, henburg said:

Would it be too derivative to do something like the Colorado Rapids and change the current denim blue to a sky blue? Would provide much better contrast at least.

colorado-rapids-colors.png

Burgundy and sky blue would be the single-most obvious solution and would've been a far better initial color scheme.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

19 hours ago, GFB said:

I agree, and add Vegas as a supporting point of this line of thinking as well.

Anaheim Ducks too. Those uniforms were horrible.

On 2024-03-08 at 2:03 PM, henburg said:

The current Colorado Avalanche look just makes me think of an ICEE, especially when the red and blue flavors start to bleed together.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQilwJ7GYy1d167vhsNB8G

ICEE-Red-Cherry-Blue-Raspberry-Swirled-S

Those shades of red and blue contrast way better than the shades the Avs currently use. It's also more or less the classic scheme for Sicilian side Calcio Catania.
1b6026432737aac12f2e0a1eedf975d9.jpg&f=1

I think the Avs should keep their current shade of burgundy and find a shade of blue that works better with it rather than just using the same shades as the Rapids (or the Nuggets for that matter).

• Hurl 1

On 2/15/2024 at 4:47 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

As long as you're not being a dick, like what you like.

It's not really my cup of tea, but I understand why people like it and the idea behind the uniform, and it's a lot better than the Mono for Monos sake Oilers and Devils alternates, and the Canes almost mono now home uniform.

I didn’t make the comment that I liked the Stars current alternate jersey just to be a jerk. I think it is a cool, outside the box idea that (I think) works well for an alternate jersey for the Stars.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 8:46 PM, ruttep said:

Look at the difference between the home and road uniforms. My main problem with the current Avs uniforms is that the switch to blue equipment was always meant for the home uniforms, with little attention paid to the road uniforms. It just doesn't look right to me, especially with those blue numbers.

I think that the blue equipment looks much better with the aways. It adds some much needed blue to a very burgundy dominated uniform and let's them use both colors in their scheme.

The homes, on the other hand, already have a good amount of blue on the jersey and having the equipment be that color as well makes it compete with the burgundy too much. That and the issue of blurring the border between jersey and pants.

I always assumed that the blue equipment was meant to go with the white jerseys and that the homes were the afterthought.

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

42 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

I think that the blue equipment looks much better with the aways. It adds some much needed blue to a very burgundy dominated uniform and let's them use both colors in their scheme.

The homes, on the other hand, already have a good amount of blue on the jersey and having the equipment be that color as well makes it compete with the burgundy too much. That and the issue of blurring the border between jersey and pants.

I always assumed that the blue equipment was meant to go with the white jerseys and that the homes were the afterthought.

What shows me that the aways were the afterthought is that the numbers weren't changed to blue until after the first season with blue equipment. If the equipment was planned to go with that jersey, wouldn't they have figured out the number color beforehand?

The Red Wings have now gone 0-5 since adding an ad patch to their jerseys, and Wings fans have been blaming the patch more and more with each successive loss. If you go to the comments of any tweet the Red Wings make, their fans are hurling insults at the team, Chris Illitch, and their ad partner (some local waste company). This has to be the most discourse I've ever heard about uniform advertisements in hockey, it's good to see that us uniform snobs aren't the only ones that care about ads being slapped on NHL jerseys.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • LOL 2

On 3/8/2024 at 9:03 AM, henburg said:

Would it be too derivative to do something like the Colorado Rapids and change the current denim blue to a sky blue? Would provide much better contrast at least.

I think the Avs would be better off doing the opposite and darkening their shade of blue, similar to the Nuggets. Would certainly solve their contrast problem. Here are some examples I hastily Photoshopped in 10 mins to illustrate.

mxwu0Hu.png8EXfCtC.jpeg

navy2.png

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 6

Green buckets for the Leafs' St.Pats jerseys this year.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, DTConcepts said:

I think the Avs would be better off doing the opposite and darkening their shade of blue, similar to the Nuggets. Would certainly solve their contrast problem. Here are some examples I hastily Photoshopped in 10 mins to illustrate.

mxwu0Hu.png8EXfCtC.jpeg

navy2.png

If you're going to darken the blue, you've gotta lighten the red slightly. Otherwise, you'd run into the same problem the Charlotte Knights did with their former brand. 

MiLB Charlotte Knights Replica Twill Youth S/M Hat Sport Baseball Green -  Walmart.com

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

mxwu0Hu.png8EXfCtC.jpeg

navy2.png

I hate how much this works. I wouldn't do it, mostly because I don't want yet another team to abandon their lighter blue for navy blue, but at the very least, the color scheme would be unified between the three jerseys.

On 3/8/2024 at 6:36 PM, ruttep said:

I agree that it shouldn't be the end all, but it is how a lot of teams and fanbases base their perceptions of certain uniforms. It's one of those things that will be relevant in uniform decision-making, whether you like it or not (along with other top hits such as players or owners preferring a certain look).

I understand why people say it and feel that way, but I just think it's a weak argument.

5 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I think this is probably the best option. While I do prefer their original uniforms, the navy helps as a nice composite between the black and blue. It also ends up matching the third jersey with the rest of the set.

3 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

If you're going to darken the blue, you've gotta lighten the red slightly.

The Avalanche actually did used a lighter shade for the burgundy between 1995-1999 before they darken it to the current shade.

Avalanche03.pngAvalanche04.png

I don't know if that helps with the contrasting problem going back to the lighter shade with navy or not but it's a nice starting point.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 12:10 AM, ruttep said:

What shows me that the aways were the afterthought is that the numbers weren't changed to blue until after the first season with blue equipment. If the equipment was planned to go with that jersey, wouldn't they have figured out the number color beforehand?

Wouldn't they have had to have had that change on the jersey in the works for over a year though?

Either way, I think the blue stuff looks a lot better with the white uniforms than the reds.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Here are the two ways I would "fix" the Avs without the black, but I don't know if they are great solutions:

A )  Darken the blue and shift the hue toward a blue-green:

KRBXqBj.png

I understand this probably isn't close to the actual original shade of blue, but in my memory and nostalgia (trading cards from the 90s and Wings/Avs rivalry tributes) this is how I remember the Avs:

Joe_sakic.jpg

Peter_Forsberg_Colorado_Avalanche.jpg

By pushing the blue into more of a "blue-green," it both warms and darkens the look considerably... So when I see images like this, with the blue lighter and closer to royal, it immediately feels colder and more jarring (which may be a good thing for the Avalanche, depending on your view):

161022317.jpg.0.jpg

I think something like a darker version of the mid-00s Seahawks, or a slightly more blue-shade of Eagles midnight green would be the sweet spot:

pantone-color-chip-303-c.webppantone-color-chip-202-c.webp

B ) Darken the burgundy and shift the blue hue slightly toward a blue-green:

uwh2Tmx.png

Look, if the Ducks don't want to use this color scheme full-time, a slightly twisted variation would work for the Avalanche. 

paul-kariya-ducks-number-retired-1300jpg

We're not going to go full-jade and the Ducks "plum" is a shade or two closer to violet than the Avs burgundy,  but no one has ever said that the Mighty Ducks uniforms were unbalanced or awkward. Again, this might not be a realistic option with too much history between the two teams, but from a pure aesthetic point of view, I would be a big fan.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, GFB said:

I understand this probably isn't close to the actual original shade of blue, but in my memory and nostalgia (trading cards from the 90s and Wings/Avs rivalry tributes) this is how I remember the Avs:

Joe_sakic.jpg

By pushing the blue into more of a "blue-green," it both warms and darkens the look considerably... So when I see images like this, with the blue lighter and closer to royal, it immediately feels colder and more jarring (which may be a good thing for the Avalanche, depending on your view):

161022317.jpg.0.jpg

The difference in these two blues is likely attributed to a change in the jerseys material.  Their original authentics were done by Starter and featured a significantly looser knit mesh.  To my knowledge the shade of blue didn't change when the Burgundy was darkened.

I wholeheartedly agree that it looked much better when it was more "blue-green."  Much warmer look.

mewPxNc.png

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Wearing black equipment with a uniform that doesn't have any black in it looks amateur. It's like seeing a minor hockey team where every kid just has basic black pants regardless of what colour their jersey is. If the Red Wings or Canadiens started wearing black pants would that not clash with their uniforms?

If they were going to keep the black equipment, it would have worked better if they eliminated silver altogether, like they did with this alternate.

spacer.png

If this is your belief I certainly hope you a against teams like the Cleveland Brown in the NFL wearing grey facemasks!!!

• Huh? 1

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

6 minutes ago, SHaMROCK said:

If this is your belief I certainly hope you a against teams like the Cleveland Brown in the NFL wearing grey facemasks!!!

The Browns . . . don't? They wear brown facemasks, and their alternate/throwback facemasks are white.