2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

I thought hem stripes also get the victory stripes motif, so I'm kinda disappointed that it's just one big white stripe on the new black alternates.

Though, if Tampa are to do a redesign of their current set, then this would be a good starting point.

It's kind of a miss from me on the Lightning third. There are some decent ideas and some nice details, but the overall design and impact of the jersey is pretty drab. Such a shame considering what they have to work with - there's some solid history and with a name like the lightning these thirds should be a lot more fun. I never thought that shoulder patch would make a good primary and even though they have dressed it up a little, I feel validated.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

This new Lightning third jersey is mediocrity to a tee. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but that's also why it feels so forgettable and uninteresting to me overall. The only things that I really like are the embroidery treatment on the logo and the drop shadow on the numbers. The rest just feels like a catalogue order for a college club team.

• Like 2

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

I recall people claiming this* evoked Blue Lives Matter...  How ridiculous.

rA5hYhr.jpg

*the best jersey the Blue Jackets have ever iced.

BFBS is their best ever? The bar must be low out there in Ohio... 

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

BFBS is their best ever? The bar must be low out there in Ohio... 

Proper stripe widths, contrasting shoulders and real hem stripes go a long way.  Just replace the black base with Navy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Have you been to Tampa? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that was intentional.

1473162742-iron-man-tony-stark-marvel-ey

Seriously, that theory is ridiculous at best.  It's already been said the three stripes on the sleeves paired with the three stripes on the socks reflect against the victory stripes from the original jerseys.

• Like 3

Just now, TBGKon said:

1473162742-iron-man-tony-stark-marvel-ey

Seriously, that theory is ridiculous at best.  It's already been said the three stripes on the sleeves paired with the three stripes on the socks reflect against the victory stripes from the original jerseys.

'twas a joke. Tampa is great and I have plenty of friends from there, but let's be real, the area does have quite the contingent of thin blue stripers.

ClAFLDa.png

32 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Have you been to Tampa? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that was intentional.

I just don't get how you build that uniform and NOT see the Blue Lives Matter flag. That's the very first thing that comes to mind in that "ViCtOrY StRiPeS" image they tweeted out.

• Meh 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Eyeroll 2

6uXNWAo.png

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I just don't get how you build that uniform and NOT see the Blue Lives Matter flag. That's the very first thing that comes to mind in that "ViCtOrY StRiPeS" image they tweeted out.

Black, blue, and white have literally been the team colors for 30+ years.  Stripes have been on hockey jersey sleeves for eternity.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

3 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Black, blue, and white have literally been the team colors for 30+ years.  Stripes have been on hockey jersey sleeves for eternity.  

Okayyy.. And the Blue Lives flag has only been around for 8 years or so..

Anyhow, dropping this topic because it's probably gonna expose people's views on human rights. ✌️

• Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Eyeroll 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

59 minutes ago, Cujo said:

ijRGQfi.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

18 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Anyhow, dropping this topic because it's probably gonna expose people's views on human rights. ✌️

I once had to talk down a major athletic outfitter who had proffered a "patriotic throwback" to wear in international competition that looked almost exactly like the Confederate battle flag. Took me showing them a side-by-side comparison to get them to scrap it, and thankfully, they did right before the eve of production.

In an almost opposite example, Cujo here is wildly projecting an imaginary link to something entirely unrelated based solely on his own biases, which is akin to the likes of hating every red baseball hat in existence because red ballcaps belong to you-know-who.

Navigating these two extremes (the Imagined Offense one being far more frequent) in sports design is often an enormous obstacle in getting meaningful work done.

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Sounds fantastic. I'm glad the TB third jersey didn't expose my satanic beliefs. 

• LOL 2

To be clear, I don't think there's any intentional political messaging with this jersey. I just read @Cujo's comment and realized that if you look at that logo a certain way, it kinda looks like that. I did exaggerate my comment for dramatic effect.

Between this and the photoshop in the MLB thread, I hope some of you newer posters are developing a familiarity with how Cujo operates on this board, and will just smile politely and go about your business on future occasions.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Captain Poncho said:

I once had to talk down a major athletic outfitter who had proffered a "patriotic throwback" to wear in international competition that looked almost exactly like the Confederate battle flag. Took me showing them a side-by-side comparison to get them to scrap it, and thankfully, they did right before the eve of production.

In an almost opposite example, Cujo here is wildly projecting an imaginary link to something entirely unrelated based solely on his own biases, which is akin to the likes of hating every red baseball hat in existence because red ballcaps belong to you-know-who.

Navigating these two extremes (the Imagined Offense one being far more frequent) in sports design is often an enormous obstacle in getting meaningful work done.

Back in my graphic design days, I once mindlessly created a logo for a gardening company that looked almost identical the the Soviet Hammer and Sickle. It looked so powerful, I really thought it was my best work until I realized I subconsciously ripped off the Soviet logo. We've also seen this a few times in some soccer kits, where they accidentally put something resembling to a Swastika in the design pattern.

Not going to dump on anyone personally, but those who have more extreme sensibilities are disproportionately more likely to have some sort of mental health issue, so I don't think it' really worth piling on. Society's (and the design world's)  issue is that we used to take these people with a grain of salt and understand the context of their situation. Now we don't.