2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

7 hours ago, projectjohn said:

The problem here is that most of the teams that are blue and red dominant have always used those colors. Why should they change just because other teams also use that color scheme? Change for the sake of change rarely leads to worthwhile results, IMO.

fair point, It's just too much blue IMO

On 7/13/2023 at 1:13 AM, tscuzzy said:

Portland, Chicago, Toronto, and Houston are all starting to look wayyyy too similar at a glance with their identical color red/black/white schemes. Because Portland and Chicago have a longer history with red and black, I think its on Toronto and Houston to switch things up. You could even throw Atlanta into this mix. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but it just doesn't seem that big of a deal considering where the league is at. Teams don't even wear their primary colors half the time. You could turn on a game and see the Bucks wearing light blue against the Pistons wearing green. So does first glance really matter anymore?

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

On 7/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, pelicanfan said:

i really wanted them to go back for the red and yellow look but they missed that opportunity and surely enough the hawks got their hands on it.

The Hawks and Rockets already coexisted with red and gold for a few decades, so it's not like that couldn't possibly happen again.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 7/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, pelicanfan said:

i always felt like at least one of them should go for a direct red-and-white look. especially the raptors.

Raptors should either be in black, gold, and silver to match Drake (my preference) or blue and white to match the Leafs and Blue Jays. I've never liked red for them, especially because, as you said, there are at least two teams with a claim to being The Red Team in the Bulls and Rockets, and Toronto deserves to stand out from the crowd.

I think the Rockets would be the best candidate for red and white, but closer to the championship uniforms than the Yao uniforms.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If it were up to me to dictate all the different Red & Black repping teams-

Chicago: Red & Black stay, of course

Portland: Keep the Silver/Gray accent, put it back in the logo

Toronto: Red & Black is fine, but get Purple back in the mix (I love that purple has been prominent throughout the NBA and red/purple is unique)

Houston: 90s in Red & Yellow was the best they've looked & played, Red & Gray is also decent, ditch the Black altogether

Atlanta: I like what they 're doing with Red & Yellow on their primaries and Black on the alternate jersey

Miami: Good as is

Cleveland: I can live with either Gold, but keep that Wine deep so they don't get mixed up, don't need Black

A clean red and white is beautiful, but I just don't feel like it fits the identity of any NBA team. It feels like the color scheme of a classic franchise like the Red Wings, and the classic eligible teams have too much history with black. If I had to pick, it'd be Atlanta or Houston.

Other Red stuff: Milwaukee should bring it back for the classic Christmas colors. Denver should ditch it for the Powder Blue look as the primary (can live with the current scheme but has never grabbed me).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Denver should ditch it for the Powder Blue look as the primary (can live with the current scheme but has never grabbed me).

It's just that they use it in the most dull way. They either don't stick to the properly-colored alternates, or mess up the design of the ones they currently have.

At one point in the 00s–10s half the league was red. This time around the color that should be diminished is black, it's the same situation. Clippers and Magic are ones who have no business being primarily black, for instance.

• Like 3

With the title-winning pedigree I think Toronto could've gone pure red/white if they wanted (much as I'm personally not a fan of the Canada's Team thing). On the other hand, I might throw out a red/black/metallic gold with minimal white option for them, if they wanted to tie together their modern brands but not intrude on Houston or Atlanta's traditional territories. Of course, tying together your brand is not seen as a positive in the business offices of the NBA these days.

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

If it were up to me to dictate all the different Red & Black repping teams-

Chicago: Red & Black stay, of course

Portland: Keep the Silver/Gray accent, put it back in the logo

Toronto: Red & Black is fine, but get Purple back in the mix (I love that purple has been prominent throughout the NBA and red/purple is unique)

Houston: 90s in Red & Yellow was the best they've looked & played, Red & Gray is also decent, ditch the Black altogether

Atlanta: I like what they 're doing with Red & Yellow on their primaries and Black on the alternate jersey

Miami: Good as is

Cleveland: I can live with either Gold, but keep that Wine deep so they don't get mixed up, don't need Black

Ooh, ohh—can I try???

BULLS: primary red w/ black trim, black alternate. (The Bulls seem, to me, like a team that doesn't need a whole bunch of goofy alternates, or really any at all beyond the black—but we all know keeping it that simple don't bring in the merchandising dollars, so 🤷🏿‍♂️...)

BLAZERS: this one might get me flamed, but I really would like to see them swap out the black for either the forest green the Timbers use, or a midnight green akin to the Philadelphia Eagles. But since that ain't gonna happen...primary black and red with gold trim swapped in place of silver. 

RAPTORS: while I think red and white exclusively could work, I DON'T think it works well for the Raptors. (Yeah, yeah, Canada flag and all that—that ain't what I'm talking about.) Ideally, I'd like to see them pair a brighter chroma of red with a deep dark purple. No black at all (except on an alternate, because Aubrey and all that <_<...)

ROCKETS: This might be the one team for who an exclusive red & white colorway actually works best—they've kinda already showed us that. But imma zag a bit of a different way and say they should darken their red justasmidge and pair it with bright orange...

HAWKS: First of all, they need to learn to stick to one primary identity for more than 3-5 years at a time. That said, I'm perfectly cool with their red+yellow...but after seeing their 2023 City stuff, I wouldn't be the slightest bit mad if they change it all up again and go primary black and peach.

HEAT: tough one, as they've pretty much had the same primary look since the late '90s. I suppose they're fine the way they are. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Lebron switching back to #23.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38016718/lebron-james-change-jersey-number-back-23-honor-bill-russell

Assuming the Lakers retire his jersey, I wonder if they do #6 for him, or just kinda "forget" about those two years, and say it's retired for Bill Russell and that's it.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I just realized the clippers moved to Los Angeles and changed their colors the same year Los Angeles had the Summer Olympics. Coincidence? 🤨

The color change (and Lakers-ripoff logo) already happened in San Diego a couple years before the team moved. It had nothing to do with the Olympics, just Sterling having awful taste on top of all his other terrible qualities.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The color change (and Lakers-ripoff logo) already happened in San Diego a couple years before the team moved. It had nothing to do with the Olympics, just Sterling having awful taste on top of all his other terrible qualities.

It definitely didn't have anything to do with he Summer Olympics, but 1982 (when they changed to R,W,B) it was supposed to be the year they moved to LA.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Dark purple and red is intriguing, but gold, black, and silver is the better choice. It feels both avian and reptilian. 

That logo needs some fine-tuning, though, no matter what the color scheme is. I hate that font.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

Dark purple and red is intriguing, but gold, black, and silver is the better choice. It feels both avian and reptilian. 

Speaking of black, silver, and gold – I liked how the Spurs' 50th anniversary addition of metallic gold to the respective logo and the court meshed with the existing colors, and would definitely be for adding it to their scheme on par with silver. As it is, their brand and uniforms always feel underwhelming to me, even though the graphic package is solid.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, BBTV said:

Lebron switching back to #23.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38016718/lebron-james-change-jersey-number-back-23-honor-bill-russell

Assuming the Lakers retire his jersey, I wonder if they do #6 for him, or just kinda "forget" about those two years, and say it's retired for Bill Russell and that's it.

I really hope the Lakers don't retire 6 for him. That would be ridiculous. Kobe accomplished greatness in both 8 and 24. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, truepg said:

Speaking of black, silver, and gold – I liked how the Spurs' 50th anniversary addition of metallic gold to the respective logo and the court meshed with the existing colors, and would definitely be for adding it to their scheme on par with silver. As it is, their brand and uniforms always feel underwhelming to me, even though the graphic package is solid.

The Spurs' big issue to me was that they shifted from Eurostile, a font that's been around the block but is still distinctive and versatile, to United Sans, a font that screams "I'm trying to do sports letters" and has been Neutraface-tier overexposed over the last ten years. The colors are what they are and get the point across, but what a downgrade elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

I really hope the Lakers don't retire 6 for him. That would be ridiculous. Kobe accomplished greatness in both 8 and 24. 

I'm pretty sure they'll just retire #23, especially if they win another championship or get close to one. it just sucks that the scoring record was broken in #6.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

It's just a jersey/number. It's fine with me if they do, it's fine with me if they don't.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Spurs' big issue to me was that they shifted from Eurostile, a font that's been around the block but is still distinctive and versatile, to United Sans, a font that screams "I'm trying to do sports letters" and has been Neutraface-tier overexposed over the last ten years. The colors are what they are and get the point across, but what a downgrade elsewhere.

I, on the other hand, liked the font change fresh up, since Eurostile was already getting to feel dated. The colors just lack that something to me, and the metallic gold would fit like a glove as that missing piece.