2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

On 8/10/2023 at 8:20 AM, spartacat_12 said:

Well the Jazz will finally get to wear these alternate uniforms this season. Assuming they're a hit with the fans I'd expect the team to use them as the basis for the new set.

spacer.png

I’d prefer them to just go back to the mid-2010s set (below), as I felt they were a great update to the classic look, but these purple ones would be 100000x better than the trash they’re wearing now.  I wouldn’t even mind a rotation with both.  One as a main, the other as an alt.spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

1 hour ago, CardsFan79 said:

I’d prefer them to just go back to the mid-2010s set (below), as I felt they were a great update to the classic look, but these purple ones would be 100000x better than the trash they’re wearing now.  I wouldn’t even mind a rotation with both.  One as a main, the other as an alt.spacer.png

To be honest, as a fan I just never got around to liking these. The biggest problem to me was the color scheme - I thought the navy and the forest green were too close in shade together and often had contrast problems, and the navy never seemed necessary when purple was the better choice anyways. But I also thought the retro wordmark looked really weird and out of place on a uniform with modern elements and a modern number font. That the side panels and numbers were supposedly cut at the same angle as the ends of the letters on the wordmark made the uniform seem more forced than clever to me. I definitely understand and respect the intention, but it was one case of “neo-retro” that fell particularly flat with me in execution.

• Like 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

To be honest, as a fan I just never got around to liking these. The biggest problem to me was the color scheme - I thought the navy and the forest green were too close in shade together and often had contrast problems, and the navy never seemed necessary when purple was the better choice anyways. But I also thought the retro wordmark looked really weird and out of place on a uniform with modern elements and a modern number font. That the side panels and numbers were supposedly cut at the same angle as the ends of the letters on the wordmark made the uniform seem more forced than clever to me. I definitely understand and respect the intention, but it was one case of “neo-retro” that fell particularly flat with me in execution.

That is a perfectly valid opinion, and I can’t argue against it.  I’m not opposed to a different color scheme at all.  I just hate the current color scheme with a passion.  I wish they’d go back to something that is an updated version of the classic look.

Ultimately, my opinion doesn’t matter.  I’m a Bulls fan first and foremost.  I root for the Jazz as my second team, mostly because Jerry Sloan was my neighbor throughout the 90’s.  

• Like 1

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

18 hours ago, CardsFan79 said:

Ultimately, my opinion doesn’t matter.  I’m a Bulls fan first and foremost.  I root for the Jazz as my second team, mostly because Jerry Sloan was my neighbor throughout the 90’s.  

Jerry was great. I had a few interactions with him as a kid here in Utah. One, where he called me a "sneaky ass kid" at a sports card show because I brought over 15+ things for him to sign.

• LOL 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, kimball said:

Jerry was great. I had a few interactions with him as a kid here in Utah. One, where he called me a "sneaky ass kid" at a sports card show because I brought over 15+ things for him to sign.

That’s awesome!  He would come home to Southern Illinois every off season.  He was just another farm boy and hung out with his friends. I was just a teenager but every time I saw him mowing his yard he’d always give me a wave and a big hello.  I miss that.

• Love 3

On 8/10/2023 at 11:34 PM, Conrad. said:

🌲

So the original source said the classic jerseys would be white but now I've got somebody else that's saying they'll be black. For context this person also privately leaked Anthony Edwards and Kyle Anderson swapping #1 and #5 all the way back in May.

Also all the Wolves reporters are saying that it's the city jerseys being revealed today but all I've heard regarding that conversation has been about throwbacks lol.

Guess we'll find out sometime today.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Looks like itd be a better license plate/tourism billboard than a jersey, but still works pretty well.

Also, I guess tweets don’t automatically embed anymore. Thanks Elon. 

Edited by officeglenn
Embedded tweet
  • Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

not bad. i’m not sure if they really come off as basketball jerseys to me. and that says a lot when basketball jerseys can have literally anything on them. also i find it funny they did this reveal at a lake or whatever and the jerseys are just so modern and bright they feel so out of place. they were better off revealing this at a corporate office or something. i thought they were gonna do something a old school since it was trees that were initially hinted

i guess props to the wolves though for keeping their style mostly consistent ever since they had that rebrand. most of their jerseys and all their marketing have this really modern almost tech-like style. the font they always use, the simple lines, colors, etc. which is a total 180 from what their franchise used to be with the jagged horror-ish wordmark and trees everywhere. i still question if it fits this franchise and city though…. 

also they could have really picked a better stock image to use with that little pattern cause it’s really messing with me. what is it? it looks the rose that the warriors used for their city jerseys last year but it’s supposed to be water? 

24 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

https://x.com/timberwolves/status/1690799548048793600?s=46&t=kT6N7NHJEiLHMRoXB5Naaw

Looks like itd be a better license plate/tourism billboard than a jersey, but still works pretty well.

F3bvg85WAAAy2xl?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 4
  • Hurl 3
  • Meh 3
  • Huh? 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

And now for all the corporate/marketing speak (because I know you were all just as curious as I was):

“This season’s Timberwolves City Edition uniform is really special and quintessentially Minnesotan,” said Timberwolves and Lynx Chief Marketing Officer Mike Grahl. “While lake life vibes are at their peak during the summer, we’re excited for Wolves fans to embrace this year’s uniform all season long.”

It then goes on...

A closer look – Timberwolves 2023-24 City Edition Uniform features:  

• The Color Scheme: Lake Blue from our Association and Icon uniforms floods the entire uniform. 
  • The Wordmark: Minnesota is boldly displayed in crisp white. 
  • The Pattern: The custom crafted artistic pattern features a vivid lake water texture that was handmade in Bloomington, Minn.  
  • The Aura Patch: The Timberwolves are proud to feature Aura as the team’s jersey patch partner. 
  • The Taping: We rep the Land of 10,000 Lakes through a luxe debossed texture that adds dimension to the side of the uniform.  
  • The Short Logo: Our primary Timberwolves logo is drenched in the custom artistic pattern and has Lake Blue hues flowing through it.  
  • The Waistband: The state of Minnesota is decked out in Lake Blue silicone for a tone-on-tone look.  
  • The Anthem: “Land of 10,000 Lakes” is screen printed in white and flanked by our North Star.  
  • Learn more about this season’s City Edition uniform at Timberwolves.com/lakelife 

So essentially this is their "Lake Life" alternate.

There's DEFINITELY a joke to be made in there somewhere, but I'll let someone else make it...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

https://x.com/timberwolves/status/1690799548048793600?s=46&t=kT6N7NHJEiLHMRoXB5Naaw

Not endorsing Elon nor the switch, but does it still embed if you went back and edited your post and changed the new domain name to twitter.com?

3 hours ago, kimball said:

I hate the lack of design elements on the neck and arm holes, which when it's in monocolor and white looks like a wifebeater and/or practice jersey.

9 hours ago, sayahh said:

Not endorsing Elon nor the switch, but does it still embed if you went back and edited your post and changed the new domain name to twitter.com?

seems to work for me, though I’ve been having lots of issues with X lately. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, kimball said:

Looks like the background for a home water delivery website more than a lakes of Minnesota vibe. Something resembling lake topographic (depth) art would've worked much better imo.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Looks like itd be a better license plate/tourism billboard than a jersey 

This is becoming the problem with City Edition more and more often -- NBA uniforms just aren't the appropriate medium for these ideas. What started out as a way to extend a team's brand has, in many cases, devolved into an identity crisis and a new disjointed/irrelevant uniform every year. I love seeing new designs, and I understand this mechanism exists almost exclusively to generate revenue, but it feels like it's time to refocus -- retire City Edition, introduce a fresh design prompt, and continue the process in a new direction.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

seems to work for me, though I’ve been having lots of issues with X lately. 

Well we know that twitter.com links embed and it looks like yours shows up as twitter.com; Germanshepherd posted x.com link and didn't embed, which was why I suggested using twitter.com.  Does it work for you when you switch it to x.com?