2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

I figured out what bothers me so much: the basketball is way too far to the right (the player’s left). So much that it looks like the player is trying to smuggle a basketball in their armpit. 

They should have kept the same font/logo size of the Barkley era jersey and just modernized the font and ball (and I agree with keeping the ball orange). That would be a true home run. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 hours ago, henburg said:

The Suns new uniforms certainly look nice, but there's something about the incorporation of black in the original Sunburst set that feels better to me than this new emphasis on white. I think that balance of Purple, Orange, and then Black is really what feels the most like the Suns to me, and all of these other sets since have just come a little bit short in trying to get that color balance right. 

Not only that, there was a little bit of yellow in there, too. Even with the Lakers down the road, there was no mistaking the two. It was a classic uniform for sure.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As much as I want to say they are an upgrade from the previous set, I'm still convinced that the Suns will never find something that is better than the 90's sunburst.

Also, given their history, I give them less than a decade before they come up with new uniforms again.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

As much as I want to say they are an upgrade from the previous set, I'm still convinced that the Suns will never find something that is better than the 90's sunburst.

Also, given their history, I give them less than a decade before they come up with new uniforms again.

They will do that even if they win a title or two...but if they don't win one then they'll definitely come up with new unis as soon as the league allows.  In my opinion.  In that sense, I like how the Denver Broncos stood by their Elway/Davis unis since they've won their 2 Superbowls.

Can someone please Photoshop the ball orange so we can see how it looks?

nvm. It’s in the thread already. 

• LOL 1

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 8/2/2023 at 9:10 PM, Dynasty said:

And it holds up! That's what's remarkable about it. It could just be the nostalgia talking, but that '90s set doesn't feel like a '90s set. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

And it holds up! That's what's remarkable about it to. It could just be the nostalgia talking, but that '90s set doesn't feel like a '90s set. 

I totally agree, and I didn’t realize it until they wore the throwbacks this past season. I’d see highlights and think “wait a minute, that uniform is still working!”  I can’t put my finger on why, but it has a sneakily contemporary look to it even still. I think it’s because it pushed the envelope just enough to be modern, but not so much that it looked like merely a product of its time. It caught me off guard in the best way when I realized that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

They also have their orange partial streaking sun logo on the waistband, which creates inconsistency. It's a fundamental thing to use a similar graphic throughout the identity. And in this case it's so obvious the white ball was a choice to stray away from resembling the original streaking sun unis too much, something that has already been done with other teams. It seems they are totally willing to do that at the expense of the visual quality of the outcome.

• Like 2

That the sun is white is fine and all, but I don't need my sports uniforms to teach me about science that I can't ever see.  The orange sun is more representative of what we actually see with our eyes every day and is what should be on that uniform.  Nobody who hasn't gone blind from it has ever stared at a white sun.  It's not a good justification.  Sometimes I just want to watch sports and see a design with familiar objects arranged and styled in an aesthetically-pleasing way.  The white sun comes up short there.

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I won't defend the white sun as a great design choice by any means, but it feels like a lot of folks are overthinking it. Bulls aren't red, Hornets aren't teal, Bucks aren't green, etc. Team mascots don't have to be literal to work, and they rarely are. I also think the white sun is an odd point of contention when there are many other, more egregious and fundamental flaws with the uniform design (distracting wordmark, disjointed front number, poor spacing on jersey, lazy design on shorts).

• Like 2

although i actually like the look of the white ball, i think the problem is simply that the sunburst is just based on a logo that everyone associates to be orange. i really dont think theres anymore to it than that. if the Suns logo always had a white ball then people wouldn't have as much of a problem. i like the look of the new jerseys, but it's just odd when you're essentially wearing an enlarged logo of your team except the logo is recolored.  the closest comparison i can think of is maybe if the raptors decided to modernize their original dinosaur jerseys and made the dinosaur white or something. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

I won't defend the white sun as a great design choice by any means, but it feels like a lot of folks are overthinking it. Bulls aren't red, Hornets aren't teal, Bucks aren't green, etc. Team mascots don't have to be literal to work, and they rarely are. I also think the white sun is an odd point of contention when there are many other, more egregious and fundamental flaws with the uniform design (distracting wordmark, disjointed front number, poor spacing on jersey, lazy design on shorts).

But their logo that is also on the uniform is orange