2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

What personal identity is there here? NFL and now NBA coaches have to wear official team-licensed apparel (available for sale) instead of just normal clothes. I don't care about the greater meaning of any of this or any real-world analogues. I'm just used to NBA coaches dressing up and now it looks weird that they don't.

I get what you're saying. I guess I was speaking more toward dress codes as a whole. @BBTV made the point more succinctly:  Dress codes, whether for coaches or rank-and-file employees, are little more than work costumes that suggest a comical degree of seriousness that isn't justified. Just do the job. Wear what you want. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

When I was in jr high, we football players had to wear ties to school on game day, because "it was all about business, and we had to be in that business mindset".  That was dumb, just like our coach feeling like we'd respect him more if he was in a suit (we were in freaking 8th grade!)  My HS coach had the right idea, and every year the staff had a different golf-type shirt or matching jackets to wear over golf pants (or those old stretchy coaches pants... I forget.)  Much more appropriate.

Along those lines, I don't get why even unaffiliated people refer to coaches as "Coach Sirianni" or "Coach Reid".  The only other professions I can think of where a title is used synonymously with a person's name are Dr. and (for some reason) Chef.

Enough with it.  Enough with sleeping in the office and abandoning your family trying to figure out how to isolate the tight end against the slow linebacker.  And enough glamorizing these guys for being anything more than what they are.  That doesn't mean that some aren't extremely good at what they are - but what they are doesn't require a suit*.  Especially when every player on your team can afford a better suit than you.

*if any of these guys were to wear a suit with top hat and monocle, I'd put them in the HOF immediately.  

I agree. It's silly to make children dress up for road games, it's weird to call Bill Cowher "Coach" when he's been a CBS employee longer than he was coach of the Steelers, and it's deranged to work 23-hour days that still lead to going 4-12.

All that being said, however, I'm so used to business attire among NBA/NHL coaches that it looks odd not to see them that way. (I don't think the NHL has given up the ghost on suits yet, though, and I'm sure someone from Zombie Deadspin would be happy to tell me it's because of white supremacy.) I don't think it represents the downfall of western civilization, it just looks kinda bad, the way baseline ads look kinda bad.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I agree. It's silly to make children dress up for road games, it's weird to call Bill Cowher "Coach" when he's been a CBS employee longer than he was coach of the Steelers, and it's deranged to work 23-hour days that still lead to going 4-12.

All that being said, however, I'm so used to business attire among NBA/NHL coaches that it looks odd not to see them that way. (I don't think the NHL has given up the ghost on suits yet, though, and I'm sure someone from Zombie Deadspin would be happy to tell me it's because of white supremacy.) I don't think it represents the downfall of western civilization, it just looks kinda bad, the way baseline ads look kinda bad.

I doubt most fans would care about the coach's wardrobe as long as they bring home the trophy at the end of the season.

maxresdefault.jpg

But NFL coaches have been under merchandising deals for decades now. Ditka had to wear those Bears sweaters with dress shirts and ties (iconic look, though). We all just expect that they have to wear sweatshirts that find new ways to say " [team] FOOTBALL,  [A/N]FC [direction]" every year.

The NBA, as ever, is sly enough to market it as empowering coaches to dress comfortably while actually monetizing a new revenue stream that hadn't been there before. You couldn't Wear What Pat Riley Wears by going to shop.nba.com.

• Like 1

I get the "I'm used to it and it looks odd" argument.  It still looks odd to me, but it just makes so much more sense.  As a society we've become more casual and laid back - at least much of the business world has - and I don't think it's a bad thing if sports reflect some aspects of our society.  I'm also of the mindset that no MLB manager should ever put on a uniform.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would like to think there's a middle ground here. I would at least prefer coaches to wear a cool jacket, whether they channel their inner European soccer coach fashion guy or even just the Mike Tomlin bomber jacket (Nikefied, natch). The NBA coaches wearing the goofy polo shirt (are those even Nike, or some grim men's outlet mall shop?) or the world's most unflattering garment the quarter-zip has gotta go. (It's also exceptionally dorky looking that the whole coaching staff wears the same "coach" uniform.)

Though nothing they've done will be as bad as Nike deciding that the United States men's coach will be wearing a t-shirt in the friggin WORLD CUP of all stages. The guy's hype sneaker collection doesn't bother me... but my god, the t-shirts. A far worse offense than benching that Reyna brat.

Gregg-Berhalter-USMNT-England-World-Cup- 

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

When I was in jr high, we football players had to wear ties to school on game day, because "it was all about business, and we had to be in that business mindset".  That was dumb, just like our coach feeling like we'd respect him more if he was in a suit (we were in freaking 8th grade!)  My HS coach had the right idea, and every year the staff had a different golf-type shirt or matching jackets to wear over golf pants (or those old stretchy coaches pants... I forget.)  Much more appropriate.

I always thought the ties-to-school thing was more about doing the thing the pros do because it's fun for the kids, another thing to play into the fantasy of being a big-time "real" athlete, not because it's actually like a serious thing. That's probably giving too much credit to the self-unaware meatheads who run kids' sports though. (Don't ask me, I was a track athlete and we were too busy hotboxing the locker room to be coming up with dress codes for away days.)

In my high school, it was wear your jersey to class for home games, wear a dress shirt and tie for road games. I asked why those of us in the school play couldn't wear our costumes to class since it was the same thing. Never got a satisfactory answer, but at least I didn't have to do my own makeup after breakfast.

• LOL 3

Maybe there's an opportunity for Nike to market a "coaches uniform".  Each team would have polo shirts (with some incredibly stupid name for the overengineered template that the polo shirt is on), quarter zips, or whatever. Home, road, city, whatever.  That way the coaches are in uniform just like the players, but don't look like slobs.

They should definitely do that for baseball.  Have a uniform coach/manager look.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Maybe there's an opportunity for Nike to market a "coaches uniform".  Each team would have polo shirts (with some incredibly stupid name for the overengineered template that the polo shirt is on), quarter zips, or whatever. Home, road, city, whatever.  That way the coaches are in uniform just like the players, but don't look like slobs.

Seemed to me last couple seasons that every team had maybe 3 or 4 tops to pick from (some combo of polos and quarter-zips, some combo of team color/heather grey/black/navy) and were always noticeably wearing coordinated pants too (khaki or grey or black chinos, I think). I guess the only slobby thing about it is the inherent dorkiness of the tops on offer, the coaching staff does at least stay coordinated. Anyway, they haven't seemed to coordinate with the players' uniforms ... yet. 

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

That doesn't address the fundamental problem, which is that quarter-zips always look awkward on dudes.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

That doesn't address the fundamental problem, which is that quarter-zips always look awkward on dudes.

Can't agree with that one.  While I personally wouldn't wear one over a collared shirt the way I would a v-neck, this is basically standard-male unform for the "casual business casual" workplace (at least what I'm in).  I don't think it's awkward at all (except for the guy that's tucking just the front into his pants.  Why?  Is he really proud of his belt?)

2df111085ff009f5d1b8cf5331a91f65.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDzj759QJSCpiA92muWELcn53708121.jpgmens-alpaca-sweater-crimson_1200x.jpg?v=

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

I can't see it ever being done away with in the NHL. People complain about minor deviations from the suit look already. I can't remember who it was, but there was a coach who wore a sport jacket & khakis on the bench and he got roasted by the media. Tortorella wore a sweater once, but he said he was sick and it was to stay warm.

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

They should definitely do that for baseball.  Have a uniform coach/manager look.

Gordon Bombay was way ahead of you on the marketing coaches' looks idea.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Can't agree with that one.  While I personally wouldn't wear one over a collared shirt the way I would a v-neck, this is basically standard-male unform for the "casual business casual" workplace (at least what I'm in).  I don't think it's awkward at all (except for the guy that's tucking just the front into his pants.  Why?  Is he really proud of his belt?)

2df111085ff009f5d1b8cf5331a91f65.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDzj759QJSCpiA92muWELcn53708121.jpgmens-alpaca-sweater-crimson_1200x.jpg?v=

I have 4 different colors in this:

Nike | Shirts | Nike Therma 4 Zip Long Sleeve Training Pullover | Poshmark

And 2 or 3 different colors in this:

Nike Men's Breathe Quarter-Zip Training Top - Macy's

Because they come in tall sizes and actually fit right... for the most part. And when you have to buy tall sizes and you find something that fits, you buy a lot of them. Which is also why I have about a dozen Izod tall tees from Kohl's  and The Foundry tees from JCPenney.

This is completely relevant to the NBA, btw.

• Like 2

Huh. Seems like gradient heavy handed courts are the new painted three-point area/two-tone wood/unpainted key court fad. Don't know how I feel about it? I'll wait for final judgement once it hits game action.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin