2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

New court coming soon for the Pelicans, about time the creative department of this team stepped up (i've been criticizing them for years already if you dont know.) Also note it says this October. November is when the city editions supposedly unveil so this might mean this is a new full-time home floor. which might be a bit much for a normal home floor but at least the blandness of team's uniforms balance it out. i'm pretty satisfied

• Like 2

They might unveil their City earlier just like Nets and Wolves. I don't know how to feel about this. Map (?), pelicans, palmtrees, fleur-de-lis, black, navy, light blue, red, orange. From this trailer it has too much elements for me, but I wouldn't judge until I see it in full scale.

4r2eer.png

i liked the big pelican silhouette in the arc as well. my only problem was that it just wasn't noticeable enough. like you can barely see it in most games. The overall idea is cool though, and it's been stuck with the Pelicans for nearly a decade now. Seems like the Pelicans are starting to scrap up some of their history. Already gone is the original red unis that was worn for nearly a decade as well and now (possibly) the pelican-in-the-arc court. 

Pelicans' Zion Williamson explains dunk that angered Suns

New Orleans Pelicans Rumors: Julius Randle interested in the Phoenix Suns

also wanted to include that one time the pelicans changed up the contrast of their court for one season. a lot of people said it was gaudy but i digged it, i'll take it over the all yellow looking court. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Are coaches going to dress like professionals again this year or are they still allowed to wear practice gear to games?

They are getting paid, so technically any way they dress is dressing like a professional, whether they dress like Pat Riley or not. In my opinion. Just out of curiosity, if you follow fútbol and baseball, how would you prefer those coaches dress if you had a say?

They're just ex jocks telling groups of jocks which direction to run and where to stand.  They're not highly-educated businessmen convincing the board to approve the merger of two international conglomerates and discussing plans to take the new company public.  They shouldn't have to play adult dress-up, and there's no reason to wear a suit that you're just going to sweat through and you're moving fast in. 

Let sports man dress like sports man.

• Like 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/23/2023 at 1:08 PM, pelicanfan said:

New court coming soon for the Pelicans, about time the creative department of this team stepped up (i've been criticizing them for years already if you dont know.) Also note it says this October. November is when the city editions supposedly unveil so this might mean this is a new full-time home floor. which might be a bit much for a normal home floor but at least the blandness of team's uniforms balance it out. i'm pretty satisfied

Yeah, a lot of people today might have said the Spurs’ 1990s floor was too much, but with their spartan white uniforms with black numbers and minimal silver trim, the contrast really popped. 

…that said, I would love to see them make the fiesta colors a full-time part of their identity, including uniforms. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, NickSixers said:

Sixers jersey with updated drop shadow is up on Fanatics this morning

spacer.png

I feel like its a tad too thick but i mean i guess it doesn't hurt them either? the numbers and letters look kinda blocky but oh well... Also im surprised they still haven't brought back the iverson throwback jerseys yet. maybe just never found the right time? 

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

They're just ex jocks telling groups of jocks which direction to run and where to stand.  They're not highly-educated businessmen convincing the board to approve the merger of two international conglomerates and discussing plans to take the new company public.  They shouldn't have to play adult dress-up, and there's no reason to wear a suit that you're just going to sweat through and you're moving fast in. 

Let sports man dress like sports man.

This is the right response. I dislike dress codes in general. They're a tool for micromanagers and another means of stifling personal identity in favor of homogeneity. What you wear doesn't affect what you do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

This is the right response. I dislike dress codes in general. They're a tool for micromanagers and another means of stifling personal identity in favor of homogeneity. What you wear doesn't affect what you do. 

Except for football ... and maybe hockey.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

I feel like its a tad too thick but i mean i guess it doesn't hurt them either? the numbers and letters look kinda blocky but oh well... Also im surprised they still haven't brought back the iverson throwback jerseys yet. maybe just never found the right time? 

It does seem a tad thick in that photo, but the now-former one was hardly visible from any distance or while they were playing.  So it will look odd on a fan, it may look better on the broadcast and in the arena.  Maybe.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

What personal identity is there here? NFL and now NBA coaches have to wear official team-licensed apparel (available for sale) instead of just normal clothes. I don't care about the greater meaning of any of this or any real-world analogues. I'm just used to NBA coaches dressing up and now it looks weird that they don't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think teams can only wear throwbacks during an anniversary.

The 76ers anniversaries coming up based on when they celebrated it before.

The 80th season the entire franchise: 2025-2026

65th season of the 76ers - 2027-2028

So they may finally bring out the Iverson's in 2025-2026.

4 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

I think teams can only wear throwbacks during an anniversary.

The 76ers anniversaries coming up based on when they celebrated it before.

The 80th season the entire franchise: 2025-2026

65th season of the 76ers - 2027-2028

So they may finally bring out the Iverson's in 2025-2026.

I believe they use the anniversary loosely though ... as in, it was 20 years since this/that happened, let's wear throwbacks.

• Like 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

What personal identity is there here? NFL and now NBA coaches have to wear official team-licensed apparel (available for sale) instead of just normal clothes. I don't care about the greater meaning of any of this or any real-world analogues. I'm just used to NBA coaches dressing up and now it looks weird that they don't.

When I was in jr high, we football players had to wear ties to school on game day, because "it was all about business, and we had to be in that business mindset".  That was dumb, just like our coach feeling like we'd respect him more if he was in a suit (we were in freaking 8th grade!)  My HS coach had the right idea, and every year the staff had a different golf-type shirt or matching jackets to wear over golf pants (or those old stretchy coaches pants... I forget.)  Much more appropriate.

Along those lines, I don't get why even unaffiliated people refer to coaches as "Coach Sirianni" or "Coach Reid".  The only other professions I can think of where a title is used synonymously with a person's name are Dr. and (for some reason) Chef.

Enough with it.  Enough with sleeping in the office and abandoning your family trying to figure out how to isolate the tight end against the slow linebacker.  And enough glamorizing these guys for being anything more than what they are.  That doesn't mean that some aren't extremely good at what they are - but what they are doesn't require a suit*.  Especially when every player on your team can afford a better suit than you.

*if any of these guys were to wear a suit with top hat and monocle, I'd put them in the HOF immediately.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1