2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

* Bucks and Raptors are World Champions, so much for deference to their international rosters

The Bucks are "NBA World Champions" because they made it a point to make the 2021 banner look like the 1971 banner which was imported from the MECCA into the Bradley Center, then into the Forum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Last but not least I bring quote from Pop:

"It doesn't make sense for an NBA team to call themselves world champions. I don't remember anybody playing anybody outside our borders to get that tag."

Greg Popovich? being sanctimonious? It's more likely than you think.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Another interesting change for this season is the Jazz arena is back to being called the Delta Center. Now I know we all hate ads and stuff around here but the Jazz playing in the Delta Center just feels right. I guess it depends on when you grew up, but I know the Delta Center and it's just right.

651A9515-2-e1685052544135.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

bSLCtu2.png

19 hours ago, McCall said:

Even though the EPL may be considered the best league in the world, at the moment, it is not the undisputed top level since so many of the world's best players play in leagues all over the world.

UCL is undisputed top of the top yet no one called Man City (again) World Champion but UCL Champion. Just put some respect to other countries which play basketball and just it. EOT.

P.S. Giannis is another player who agree with Lyles. ;)

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

651A9515-2-e1685052544135.jpg

Nice to see Delta Center again and nice to see that Purple is Back! 😁

Anyway after that one season I found that Jazz color scheme isn't not bad for an expansion team or for ASW but definetly not for Jazz.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

4r2eer.png

8 hours ago, pepis21 said:

UCL is undisputed top of the top yet no one called Man City (again) World Champion but UCL Champion. Just put some respect to other countries which play basketball and just it. EOT.

P.S. Giannis is another player who agree with Lyles. ;)

Nice to see Delta Center again and nice to see that Purple is Back! 😁

Anyway after that one season I found that Jazz color scheme isn't not bad for an expansion team or for ASW but definetly not for Jazz.

Because UEFA is just European, meanwhile you have great players and teams elsewhere in the world. 

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:34 PM, the admiral said:

I have a memory of the media jerking off the Spurs in 2005 for putting "NBA Champions" on their banner instead of "World Champions" in deference to the game's international growth and their international roster, but image search was showing all of their banners reading "NBA Champions." But then I added "2003" and a-ha, they did go back and change them all later:

786 Spurs Banners Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images - Getty Images

I guess we can get a list of all the teams (it's the NBA, so it won't take too long), but

* the Lakers and Celtics still use "World Champions,"

* the Bulls split the difference with "NBA World Champions" both on the original Stadium banners and the remade/96-97-98 ones at the United Center

* the Pistons were World Champions at the Palace but NBA World Champions on the new banners downtown

* the Spurs use "NBA Champions." Now, at least

* the Warriors used to use "NBA World Champions" for the old ones but have just been "NBA Champions" for the new ones

* the nouveau-riche Heat use neither qualifier and just have "champions!" with the Heat ball for an o

* Mavs and Cavs are NBA Champions

* Bucks and Raptors are World Champions, so much for deference to their international rosters

* the Sacramento Kings' banner reads "ROCHESTER [NBA logo] WORLD CHAMPIONS 1951," so how you score that one is up to you, I suppose

* I guess we haven't seen which way the Nuggets will go yet

So it looks like the standard/custom I thought had been instituted was not, as evidenced by three of the last four. I don't think there's any reason to stray from "World Champions" on these with the knowledge that this was the best assemblage of talent anywhere that year. 

Sixers original* and remade banners use "NBA World Champions", 

*meaning Spectrum banners.  No idea what they looked like before then or if they even hung banners.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Moderator here. Again, knock it off with the "World Champions" discussion. It's clear we can't have a civil discussion about it, never mind the fact it's taking place in a Sports Logos News thread. 

Any further derailment of the thread will result in suspensions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChiharuShiba said:

saw this on instagram

spacer.png

Top right corner is intresting with that Jazz old shorts. Why someone put them to a photo?

Warriors looks kinda like mashup od their current alternate with 19/20 Hawks City and Heat doesn't look promising.

I wonder which team is between Heat and GSW. Thunder? Color and pattern on stripes looks pretty similar to current OKC City.

4r2eer.png

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Top right corner is intresting with that Jazz old shorts. Why someone put them to a photo?

Warriors looks kinda like mashup od their current alternate with 19/20 Hawks City and Heat doesn't look promising.

I wonder which team is between Heat and GSW. Thunder? Color and pattern on stripes looks pretty similar to current OKC City.

The Jazz are are the shorts to these.

https://twitter.com/BensHoops/status/1537844499145101312/photo/1

• Like 4

As a fan, Heat Culture looks dope on a jersey, but I don’t want to see that in a game for one simple reason. 

It would look very stupid if you wore a jersey advertising your team’s culture and lost. 

I felt the same way about the Rockets’ Clutch City uniforms. If you don’t come up big in the clutch, your uniforms are literally a lie. 

• Like 6

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

from what i can see with that little snip of the heat jerseys they almost look like a rockets jersey to me. the pure red on black and maybe the font (especially on the H) gives off that vibe. i dont know how to feel about a jersey saying "Heat Culture" but you gotta at least give it a cooler wordmark if you are. 

As for the warriors, i oddly like the yellow-on darker yellow look on the black, just kinda wish they used a better font.

Jazz shorts already looks good as expected, excited to see the full uniform because it could be a glimpse of what the jazz could rebrand to after this past year's mess. 

• Like 1

IMG-7122.gif

Is that Black and Bronze above the Heat Culture uniform?

Are the Wizards bringing it back? Could it be the Pelicans or Thunder or 76ers trying it out? Are all my guesses wrong as usual because they are just guesses? Stay tuned to find out.

• Like 1