2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

Hopefully FOX learned their lesson from the Bucs game and has throwback logos and graphics for the Seahawks this week. Makes a huge difference when they pay attention to these things. Also excited to see the field design for Seattle this week. I’m assuming throwback helmet at midfield and blank endzones with “Seahawks” in the old font. But I’m hoping for those silver endzones they used to have in the kingdome.spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Also has anyone noticed that teams don’t fill in their end zones all the way anymore? There’s always a visible patch of green between the colored paint and the white paint and it’s annoying to see. I get why teams like the Rams and Chargers, and the Giants and Jets do it because they share the field and swap back and forth between the end zone paint. But even the MetLife teams didn’t do it until this season. And the rams and chargers had full endzone paint in 2020. Even in the London games this year they didn’t fill in the endzone paint.

Teams like Houston and Denver should have no excuse though.spacer.png

spacer.png

just fill it in all the way 😭

anyone know if there’s a new rule about endzone paint

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, throwmesomepics said:

Also has anyone noticed that teams don’t fill in their end zones all the way anymore? There’s always a visible patch of green between the colored paint and the white paint and it’s annoying to see. I get why teams like the Rams and Chargers, and the Giants and Jets do it because they share the field and swap back and forth between the end zone paint. But even the MetLife teams didn’t do it until this season. And the rams and chargers had full endzone paint in 2020. Even in the London games this year they didn’t fill in the endzone paint.

spacer.png

I wondered about that too.  Cowboys is still all blue.  I know it's odd, but maybe its something to do with needing white on green for calls by the referees?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, throwmesomepics said:

spacer.png

I feel like this used to be somewhat common, but it's definitely making a resurgence. My hypothesis is that turf teams, mainly LA, started doing it to avoid trying to perfectly align the painted edge with the permanent white edge of the turf. If you look at the Houston image, the green-to-white line isn't exactly straight since the different colored fibers get bent in different directions. Painting right on that edge may be too difficult or time-consuming, so it's easier to give the painted background a little margin. Then, teams like Denver liked the look and hopped on the trend.

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

lmao I'm not even a Houston fan. I just think that screwing over a city and moving a team out of ego and spite means that you should be forced to surrender that identity. The part that really cemented to me that this is all out of spite is the fact that they're wearing these throwbacks against the Texans later this year. Call me salty and bitter and whatever, I don't care. I know my opinion on a message board about sports uniforms won't change anything. I just like voicing my opinions here. And my opinion on these throwbacks is not a positive one.

25 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

What if they called them Tennessee Oilers throwbacks?spacer.png

I doubt many Titans fans have much of a connection to the Oilers identity. When they were the Tennessee Oilers, they inexplicably spent a season in Memphis, which alienated both Memphis and Nashville and led to a sense of apathy that wasn't really solved until their first season as the Titans, which saw a new stadium, the Music City Miracle, and a trip to the Super Bowl. The Tennessee Oilers aren't really an era to be celebrated.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 1

The whole Oilers thing is weird because the team moved and but then later rebranded.

Usually you get a rebrand WITH the move like the current Winnipeg Jets, the Minnesota Twins, or the Baltimore Ravens (the last one being complicated).

More common is the no rebrand with the move like the Los Angeles Rams, Indianapolis Colts, the Los Angeles Raiders, the Arizona Cardinals, the Oakland Raiders, the St. Louis Rams, the Los Angeles Chargers, the Los Angeles Rams, or the Las Vegas Raiders.

There isn't a big fan argument when the Colts come to Baltimore wearing blue and white (of course a pair of titles by the purple and black go a long way).

So the Oilers are in this position of straddling two fanbases because they didn't rebrand for a couple of years.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

straddling two fanbases because they didn't rebrand for a couple of years.

The Tennessee Oilers didn't have many fans. The Titans didn't establish much of a foothold until they became the Titans. There are two fanbases: One in Houston that hates them and the very existence of this throwback, and one in Tennessee that probably doesn't feel much of a connection to this throwback. I fail to see any motivation for bringing back the Oilers uniforms on the Titans' part besides (A) money, (B) money, and (C) sticking it to Houston.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 1

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I wondered about that too.  Cowboys is still all blue.  I know it's odd, but maybe its something to do with needing white on green for calls by the referees?

From the NFL Rule Book on Field Markings:

11. Care must be exercised in any end zone marking, decoration, or club identification at the 50-yard line, that said marks or decorations do not in any way cause confusion as to delineation of goal lines, sidelines, and end lines. Such markings or decorations must be approved by the Commissioner.

It's where I sit.

Vikings are unfortunately wearing mono Purple tonight. Had the local news on from KSTP, our ABC affiliate here in the Twin Cities, and during a report from the Stadium, caught players in the background with mono-Purple.

• Hurl 1

da0Lbhs.png

6 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

1. Take the kelly green throwbacks.
  2. Put the modern wing decals on the helmets.
  3. Put the eagle head logo on the sleeves.
  4. Make a corresponding white jersey.
  5. Make a kelly green pants options (because it's 2023 gosh darnit!)
  6. Make a set of kelly green socks.
  7. Boom finished!
  • Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

32 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:
  1. Take the kelly green throwbacks.
  2. Put the modern wing decals on the helmets.
  3. Put the eagle head logo on the sleeves.
  4. Make a corresponding white jersey.
  5. Make a kelly green pants options (because it's 2023 gosh darnit!)
  6. Make a set of kelly green socks.
  7. Boom finished!

If this were to happen, I’d imagine they’ll stick with the new word mark and choose to roll out a more angular and squared off number font to match. Hell it wouldn’t surprise me if they went with a more modern Oregon-ish wing helmet.

spacer.png

• Like 2