2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

9 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

I feel like the Seahawks' throwbacks looked better in the publicity shoots than the field. I felt the reason it never popped back in the day was because it was in the Kingdome, but the blue still doesn't pop off that much in the sun. I think it's probably because of the emphasis on silver and how that look made green the third color while it's more second in the hierarchy in the Nike era. It's still a good look, but maybe a little underwhelming after the build up to it.

Β 

Having actually witnessed football in the 1990s, I can tell you there was nothing special about those Seahawks unis. Them changing to the Hassleback colors and unis was applauded at the time. And what they wear now, while a bit too modern-ish, is just as good if not better than the Dave Krieg unis.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Β 

They were also the most out-of-place member of an ancient division (Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders all going back to 1960) and royal/green teams just seemed generally invisible/infamously bad throughout the '70s-early '00s.

That's a big part of it, too. Conference disruptions are big deals for baseball and football teams because of how much you're defined by your opposition. The NFC Seahawks are almost a different franchise from the fifth wheel of the AFC West, and a far superior one at that.Β 

• Like 3

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I guess you could count the Jets bringing back their original uniforms in a darker shade of green than they originally had, or the 49ers tweaking their shades of red and gold, but that's a stretch.

Β 

Those crossed my mind, but the Jets and 49ers actually altered their logos a bit. They didn't just take MS Paint to their previous logos.

6uXNWAo.png

Then other than shoehorning powder blue into the old yellow/navy bolt, there hasn't really been much of that. The NFL concentrates too much on branding to let major color changes go through without attendant logo changes as well.

• Like 3

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

24 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I actually liked this match-up

Β 

Steelers-Jaguars: Gerry Dulac's quarterly analysis | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Β 

To add: If possible, I will refrain from posting pictures which include socks to prevent future "socks are ruining my life!!" comments -- aka being Sockjacked.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Β 

To add: If possible, I will refrain from posting pictures which include socks to prevent future "socks are ruining my life!!" comments -- aka being Sockjacked.

Β 

The obsession with socks in this place will never stop being amusing to me. Yeah, sometimes certain socks might improve a look, but in all my years here, there's been maybe a handful of times where I thought "the socks totally ruined this." To each their own, I guess. Sockjacking (in either application, I suppose)Β  is one of the things that make this the wild, weird, and wonderful place it is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Β 

BB52Big.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

30 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Oilers throwbacks are imperfect, but it was really nice to see them this week. Columbia and red is a strong color scheme, the oil derrick and drop-shadowed wordmark looked terrific on the field, and all of it meant not seeing the crappy Titans uniforms. I have no position on "they should use this full-time," but I maintain that Houston should have gotten the same deal Cleveland got or, better yet, the move should have been disallowed in the first place. It's a classic identity and I think a lot of us missed it.

Β 

Eff Paul Tagliabue.

Β 

Just now, infrared41 said:

Β 

The obsession with socks in this place will never stop being amusing to me. Yeah, sometimes certain socks might improve a look, but in all my years here, there's been maybe a handful of times where I thought "the socks totally ruined this." To each their own, I guess. Sockjacking (in either application, I suppose)Β  is one of the things that make this the wild, weird, and wonderful place it is.

Β 

Multi-page fights over socks and face masks. It's ain't CCSLC without it.Β 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Β 

All New: NFL Random
Website β˜… Behance β˜… TwitterΒ β˜… Geekier Twitter

54 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Β 

Having actually witnessed football in the 1990s, I can tell you there was nothing special about those Seahawks unis. Them changing to the Hassleback colors and unis was applauded at the time. And what they wear now, while a bit too modern-ish, is just as good if not better than the Dave Krieg unis.

Hey now, I'm not that young, I've watched plenty of football in the 90s πŸ˜›

Β 

But yeah, it's fine, but frankly I'm not looking for returning to these as a full time look

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

41 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Β 

I'll be real (and this goes back to the Dallascowboys banter we had earlier) -- While knowing I'm always in the right 😏, I thoroughly enjoy these debates. Absolutely, to each their own! And will never take or make disagreements personal. If we all agreed on unis, colors, socks, this place would be more bland than the Cleveland Browns primary logo.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

11 minutes ago, ruttep said:

This Seahawks throwback is one of the rare throwbacks where I think both the classic and the current look have a place. Let the throwback replace the horrible green jersey as the alt and you're fine.

It’s a shame the throwback replaced the wrong jersey

spacer.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ruttep said:

Β 

I mostly agree, but if any team needs a uniform change, it's the Titans. I don't understand how their look survived the five-year cutoff.

Β 

Simply put: both the owner and [seemingly] the players love it. There's some good ideas in there; they're just cloaked underneath the not-good ones.Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

Β 

Β 

Also, dude, this debate is pushing similar levels of cringe. This is like the 36th time we've had this exact argument about the Cowboys. We've all made our points about the Cowboys clear. Let it go.

Β 

You mean 36th time today.Β It'll be 37 tomorrow....just watch.Β 

Β 

--------------------------

Β 

Also, regarding the Patriots...

Β 

bills-patriots-football-23295724966658.j

Β 

usatsi_21712616.jpg

Β 

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but I...I think...I'd actually prefer the white socks with this look???!??? I don't know, this is just one of those unexplainable situations where the whole just seems better than the sum of its (non-matching) parts. Of course, I'm still cool with the navy socks, but the white socks just kinda add...something to this. Maybe it's the Randall Cunningham/Cris Carter/Jerome Brown/Reggie White Philadelphia Eagles effect going on, but I actually really like that look.Β 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Β 

Simply put: both the owner and [seemingly] the players love it. There's some good ideas in there; they're just cloaked underneath the not-good ones.Β 

Β 

Β 

You mean 36th time today.Β It'll be 37 tomorrow....just watch.Β 

Β 

--------------------------

Β 

Also, regarding the Patriots...

Β 

bills-patriots-football-23295724966658.j

Β 

usatsi_21712616.jpg

Β 

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but I...I think...I'd actually prefer the white socks with this look???!??? I don't know, this is just one of those unexplainable situations where the whole just seems better than the sum of its (non-matching) parts. Of course, I'm still cool with the navy socks, but the white socks just kinda add...something to this. Maybe it's the Randall Cunningham/Cris Carter/Jerome Brown/Reggie White Philadelphia Eagles effect going on, but I actually really like that look.Β 

Β 

No. No. Don't see the argument for the white socks with the navy uniform. Sorry. Looks unbalanced.

Β 

Also, I'll say this again, don't justify a terrible uniform decision with "the owner likes it." Because that's not a justification. Just call it a bad uniform decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Β 

I'll be real (and this goes back to the Dallascowboys banter we had earlier) -- While knowing I'm always in the right 😏, I thoroughly enjoy these debates. Absolutely, to each their own! And will never take or make disagreements personal. If we all agreed on unis, colors, socks, this place would be more bland than the Cleveland Browns primary logo.

Β 

Agreed. Debate is good, the same debate every single time is tiresome. And I'm confident in my opinions, but I'll stop short of saying I'm always right, because there really isn't a right answer to all of this. But I'm glad I can come here and geek out about football jerseys.

• Like 1

Here is what, in my opinion, made the OG Seahawks uniform special:

Β 

The helmet.

Β 

The other 3 NFL teams that use silver helmets all have a stripe bifurcating them. The Seahawks never did and instead had the rare wrap around logo.

Β 

Additionally, the shade of silver was never a speckled or sparkly version as would later be used by the Lions and Raiders. Instead, I always felt it gave off a stainless steel look.

Β 

Seattle-Seahawks-Free-Pick-NFL-Betting-P

With no stripe down the helmet you got a shining silver crown, even under the artificial light of the Kingdome.

Β 

j6kljvid2ylvydm5rkzi

Today that was on full display and it was glorious.

Β 

usatsi_21769992_168388579_lowres.jpg

1763789756.0.jpg

The post 2002 helmets maintain the wrap around logo but with darker blues, there's less contrast and the logo has to rely a lot on white outlining to stand out.

Β 

With the silver lids, the logo demands attention.Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 15
  • Applause 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was today the first time since February 2008 that the old NFL logo was seen on an NFL field? The Seahawks used it for their Throwback end zone today. All the Throwback fields that have graced the league the past decade and a half have used the modern NFL logo. The old AFC/NFC logos were seen on Throwback fields in previous years, but not the old NFL logo.

da0Lbhs.png

Some thoughts so far…

Β 

NE/MIA looked wonderful. The Dolphins could go back to these throwbacks and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

Β 

It was good to see Seattle’s and Houston’s Tennessee’s throwbacks. I don’t care as much who, but the sooner that either the Titans or Texans lay claim to the Luv Ya Blue and Red look, the better.

Β 

Eagles in green pants and white socks! Commanders look awful, as usual. Β They should scrap these uniforms and go back to the Washington Football Team look, yellow pants and all.

Saints should torch their plain white (and black) pants and wear their gold pants full-time, then perhaps go with striped black and white pants as alternate options.

Edited by DustDevil61
  • Like 2