2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

25 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

What's there to take from the current uniforms? The throwbacks are better in every aspect as far as I can tell

I’m partial to the number font and  logo. Find a way to merge old and current logo? Money. Also, aqua pants for crying out loud. That’s what the throwback is missing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I mean, fair. Agree to disagree on this one as well. I've just always considered the classic Dolphins look to be one of my favorites of all time.

If Miami's current set sucked like almost everything else that came out in the 2010s, then i would agree. But they don't.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

15 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m partial to the number font and  logo. Find a way to merge old and current logo? Money. Also, aqua pants for crying out loud. That’s what the throwback is missing.

Toothpaste dolphin doesn't come close to helmet dolphin. Not sure what you're talking about. Also, I will only support aqua pants with the throwback if they create some white striped socks to go with it (also don't wear the aqua pants with the aqua jersey, please).

15 minutes ago, Cujo said:

If Miami's current set sucked like almost everything else that came out in the 2010s, then i would agree. But they don't.

I agree that the current set doesn't suck, but I think it's worn out its welcome. Dolphins fans (as well as most NFL fans) have been begging the team for years to make the throwbacks permanent again. The "make throwbacks full-time" conversation is repetitive and frustrating, but it's the only sensible move for the Dolphins in my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, timjameskohler said:

I’m not that firmly planted in the “these teams need to wear their throwbacks full time” belief system, but we can all agree on the Dolphins, right? Maybe not the Patriots or Titans or Seahawks or Buccaneers, but DEFINITELY the Dolphins. It’s just a better uniform all the way around. 

The Commanders need gold pants with the burgundy jersey. NEED. Aren’t there some sitting in a Landover closet somewhere?

I think we’re headed for the Falcons being the first 2020 uniform fail to try again. I bet (hope) the base a new modern set around the 1966 throwback, with the red helmet and pants to match. Would be perfect.

I wouldn’t HATE a full time thread to discuss the aesthetic anomalies of the Dallas Cowboys uniforms…I think the white pants look great with the navy blues(that striping is amazing!) as long as their socks are navy too. Get a memo, Dak.

Dolphins, I’d say take the throwbacks, make the facemasks aqua, and add the logo to the sleeve caps, then bring in alternate aqua pants. 

Basically, their early-90s look was their forever look to me. Grey facemasks with such a bold color scheme bother me. 

• Like 2

Just now, MCM0313 said:

Dolphins, I’d say take the throwbacks, make the facemasks aqua, and add the logo to the sleeve caps, then bring in alternate aqua pants. 

Basically, their early-90s look was their forever look to me. Grey facemasks with such a bold color scheme bother me. 

Those stripes are beautiful and look better than the sleeve logos imo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aqua pants would be great (without aqua socks).

• Like 3

I love the Dolphins throwbacks, but that logo is definitely dated, and the sleeve striping, grey facemask, and black cleats feel too old school for a team with such vibrant colors and a flashy, modern NFL offense. I think a mashup of the throwback and modern uniforms keeping the overall identity of the older look with a modern feel is the way to go. I also think wearing the right combinations (all white with aqua socks, white over aqua with white socks, and aqua over white with aqua socks) would do wonders. 

• Like 9

I agree about the aqua facemasks and (optional) aqua pants. The helmet dolphin could use some cleanup, like that one guy in that one thread used to do, but such a cleanup would be nautical miles ahead of the toothpaste dolphin. Death to the Luxury Brand.

Just now, fouhy12 said:

I love the Dolphins throwbacks, but that logo is definitely dated, and the sleeve striping, grey facemask, and black cleats feel too old school for a team with such vibrant colors and a flashy, modern NFL offense. I think a mashup of the throwback and modern uniforms keeping the overall identity of the older look with a modern feel is the way to go. I also think wearing the right combinations (all white with aqua socks, white over aqua with white socks, and aqua over white with aqua socks) would do wonders. 

Well put. I always thought of the Fins as a white-cleats team. I still think my Old NFL black, Old AFL white,  post-merger wacky colors idea is a good one.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

I agree about the aqua facemasks and (optional) aqua pants. The helmet dolphin could use some cleanup, like that one guy in that one thread used to do, but such a cleanup would be nautical miles ahead of the toothpaste dolphin. Death to the Luxury Brand.

You don't need to worry about BrandMooreArt, he hasn't posted here in years.

• LOL 1
  • Sad 2

I actually like Cleveland's white over brown look. The orange and white are both better, but the brown looks good too imo. They're probably the only team in the league that can really pull off three different pants colors with the same jersey. The only other one that comes close is the Ravens with the purple, white, and black pants with white jersey. But the lack of stripes on their black pants ruins them.

Also unpopular but: the Dolphins current uniforms are mostly better than the throwbacks. I like the old shade of aqua better and the current number font totally botches some numbers. But other than that, I think they're superior. That throwback logo is unusable as a modern NFL logo. The 90s logo is a little cartoonish but miles better than that one.

• Like 8
  • Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Just now, throwuascenario said:

I actually like Cleveland's white over brown look. The orange and white are both better, but the brown looks good too imo. They're probably the only team in the league that can really pull off three different pants colors with the same jersey. The only other one that comes close is the Ravens with the purple, white, and black pants with white jersey. But the lack of stripes on their black pants ruins them.

I actually liked the way Cleveland's white over brown looked against Seattle's throwbacks. Seattle's uniforms are full of light and mid tones, so having a nice dark brown on the other side added to the contrast. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I love the Dolphins throwbacks, but that logo is definitely dated, and the sleeve striping, grey facemask, and black cleats feel too old school for a team with such vibrant colors and a flashy, modern NFL offense. I think a mashup of the throwback and modern uniforms keeping the overall identity of the older look with a modern feel is the way to go.

A jersey that beautiful doesn't have an expiration date to me. And this isn't the first time a flashy, historic offense has worn these jerseys (1984). Modernization wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm not suggesting that everything should stay the same as it was for decades, but I don't think I would keep any aspect of the modern uniforms over the throwbacks.

I just wish the current aqua the Dolphins use was a tad darker. It's just so bright (there isn't anything wrong with that) but if anything, I'd prefer they revert, or at least aim to darken the aqua a bit.

The Dolphins are interesting to me because they're an old team with the vibes of an expansion one. They're in a fun, young city with vibrant colors and known for flashy offensive weapons like Dan Marino and Tyreek Hill. I think you need to have an identity that caters to both the history and the modernity, which is definitely threading a needle. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fouhy12 said:

The Dolphins are interesting to me because they're an old team with the vibes of an expansion one. They're in a fun, young city with vibrant colors and known for flashy offensive weapons like Dan Marino and Tyreek Hill. I think you need to have an identity that caters to both the history and the modernity, which is definitely threading a needle. 

You can have a classic visual identity and still have a modern brand. Look at teams like the 49ers and the Chiefs that have not drastically changed their modern uniforms in decades but still let the personality of their players shine through. That needle can be threaded. Look at the Steelers (yes, they changed their number font but they're still one of the most stagnant visual brands out there). A mashup of classic and modern can be amazing (Vikings, Browns, Lions, Bengals, Chargers) but it can also lead to massive flops or boring looks (Rams, Jaguars, Jets, Falcons).

I think if the Dolphins want to go mashup, the early 90s uniforms are a good compromise (aqua facemask, sleeve logo, aqua pants). I'd still prefer the 70s, but this is a perfectly good look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I don't think the Dolphins have expansion vibes at all. They're known for high-flying offense. So are the Packers, 49ers, Raiders, and Chiefs. By having an unorthodox color scheme on otherwise traditional uniforms, they threaded the needle just fine (see also: Sharks). No shame in having some kitschy Old Florida vibes.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, throwuascenario said:

Also unpopular but: the Dolphins current uniforms are mostly better than the throwbacks. I like the old shade of aqua better and the current number font totally botches some numbers. But other than that, I think they're superior. That throwback logo is unusable as a modern NFL logo. The 90s logo is a little cartoonish but miles better than that one.

I also prefer their current uniforms. Even the number font - the curves give it a slight Art Deco feel that's appropriate for Miami. The throwbacks have a worse logo, the exact same sleeve stripes that the Browns and Steelers are already struggling to make work on modern jersey templates, and a glaring mismatch between the helmet and pants stripes. If they absolutely have to go full-time throwback, the 1987-1993 uniforms were so much better.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

A kitsch mascot-playing-the-sport logo that the team had a perfect season in being replaced by a boring, soulless corporate bellyflopping fish is a tragedy.

Also I think it's funny people praise the current Miami uniform for being "vibrant" and whatnot when the aqua looks like it got left in the sun too long, the jerseys are stripeless and bland, and they barely even bother with orange anymore. The old colors and combinations were much more vibrant

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1