2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

55 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

It’s a case by case basis. Some teams should have never changed. So I disagree with him on some teams and agree on others.

At the time the uniforms were changed, they were all welcomed. Nobody was like "Ahh the Buccaneers look worse now!" or "Ahh the Seahawks look worse now!"

When the Oilers became the the Titans, those George and McNair jerseys flew off the shelves. Exact same could be said when the Bucs did their overhaul.

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

A lengthy explanation, but this 100% sums up throwback uniforms. 🎯🎯🎯

He pretty much summed up how I feel. When people say "It should be full time" I often wonder if they literally mean the exact look because that's not going to fly. Do I want the Bucs to wear orange more? Sure but how about we put orange with the current pewter look? How about the Eagles create a new kelly green look? The Browns went back to their classic look but you know what they did? They modified the look. That's what you should do. You wanna go forwards not backwards with aesthetics.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

I think the argument about the throwbacks is funny. it's moreso that fans feel THOSE are the teams real identities. Either from nostalgia or some specific era of the team they enjoy the most.

However, if the NFL had just kept their regular team identities and gone with one-off combos the way NCAA has done, fans probably would like them and have favorites but still keep going back and wanting the regular uniforms most of the time.

Eagles colors, Browns facemasks, Bucs orange, Pats Pat the Patriot, Seahawks 70s style, etc... nobody would question it if once a year Eagles wanted a BFBS uniform while still normally being Kelly Green. Or the midnight green.

Same with Browns. The biggest reason fans don't want and didn't like the last rebrand was because it was the 'new identity' rather than some couple-times-a-year futuristic version that fans could maybe appreciate. The same the Browns have now down with the all-white look. It's a cool break from the usual, but not something they'd want full-time.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:19 PM, Cujo said:

When it works:

jackson_1991aa__03740.1598821278.jpg?c=2

When it doesn't:

23019265]&call=url[file:product.chain]

A double outline is different than a ghosted outline. A double outline uses three colors  - none of which match the jersey. And then there's the variation of the ghosted outline where the outer outline matches the color of the number, like the Cowboys navy jerseys.

Single outline (Panthers for example) > double outline (49ers shown above, Patriots) > ghosted outline with different color (80s Dolphins shown above, Canadiens) > single-color number (Jaguars) > ghosted outline with same color (Cowboys, Lightning)

• Like 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You can’t be serious.   

That’s exactly what I said.  

**At the time the uniforms were changed, they were all welcomed. Nobody EXCEPT FOR OLD SCHOOL VIKINGS was like "Ahh the Seahawks look worse now!"

Corrected.

6uXNWAo.png

On 11/2/2023 at 12:08 AM, Old School Fool said:

He pretty much summed up how I feel. When people say "It should be full time" I often wonder if they literally mean the exact look because that's not going to fly. Do I want the Bucs to wear orange more? Sure but how about we put orange with the current pewter look? How about the Eagles create a new kelly green look? The Browns went back to their classic look but you know what they did? They modified the look. That's what you should do. You wanna go forwards not backwards with aesthetics.

Many of the logos especially look far too outdated to just revert to for good. The Seahawks current logo is much nicer and more noticeable on the helmet for instance. And the Dolphins throwback logo is very outdated, as are Pat the Patriot and Bucco Bruce.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I don’t think any team is wearing the EXACT design they wore back then, they all have slight changes. See those complaining that the Eagles new kelly green is brighter than it used to be (even though it looked great)

And more importantly, a lot of these teams went backwards aesthetically to begin with. Bringing back old uniforms is going forward aesthetically for some teams, and that is more true the nicer the throwback uniforms are.

• Like 1

A lot of the clamoring for full-time throwbacks ignores that uniforms aren't the same now as they were in the '80s, '70s, '60s...

Design elements made for long, floppy Durene sleeves aren't going to look as good on today's tiny sleeve caps, UCLA-style shoulder loops stopped being actual loops long ago, etc. It's easy to overlook these small details when they're worn once a year, not so much when they're worn for every game. Look at how the Jets' previous uniforms gradually decayed through the years as the basic construction of the jerseys kept changing. They looked good in 1998, they looked hideous in 2018. It got progressively harder to make the 1960s-style stripes work on modern templates and actually look uniform across the whole team. Even in 1998, they already had to sacrifice the bottom stripe on the sleeves because there was no room for it anymore, even though the whole point of the original design was that it was a giant Northwestern stripe with the TV numbers embedded into it. And they had to keep compromising from there.

Also, it's not really about the uniforms for a lot of these people, it's about nostalgia. Even if their favorite team perfectly replicates their old look down to the last stitch, the novelty will wear off in time, especially if they aren't winning.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12