2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That's a terrible uniform.

It's the inevitable conclusion of mixing and matching disease. The Panthers did the same thing yesterday wearing their white pants with their dark jerseys. "Let's wear these pants and these jerseys because we can" with nobody there to say don't do that. Items never designed to be worn together now forced into the same look and, unsurprisingly, looks worse than if they'd gone with the uniform as it was designed and meant to be worn. 

The funny thing to me is the Cowboys refuse for decades to wear anything with the white jersey other than the dumbest looking green silver pants, but will f*** the brand with the new white pants and white helmets with no thought at all. They can never just look good. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Put me down for the '82/'84 Super Bowl-losing Dolphins uniforms: they're nice and stripey but have aqua facemasks. I like the idea of Art Deco numbers but I think it would be too foofy in practice. Add aqua pants as an option for white jerseys and punch up the logo and I think you can arrive at a canonical Fins uniform and never have to touch them again.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I also prefer their current uniforms. Even the number font - the curves give it a slight Art Deco feel that's appropriate for Miami. The throwbacks have a worse logo, the exact same sleeve stripes that the Browns and Steelers are already struggling to make work on modern jersey templates, and a glaring mismatch between the helmet and pants stripes. If they absolutely have to go full-time throwback, the 1987-1993 uniforms were so much better.

I like the number font generally. It's just the 1 and maybe the 7 that need work.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

34 minutes ago, Sport said:

It's the inevitable conclusion of mixing and matching disease. The Panthers did the same thing yesterday wearing their white pants with their dark jerseys. "Let's wear these pants and these jerseys because we can" with nobody there to say don't do that. Items never designed to be worn together now forced into the same look and, unsurprisingly, looks worse than if they'd gone with the uniform as it was designed and meant to be worn. 

The funny thing to me is the Cowboys refuse for decades to wear anything with the white jersey other than the dumbest looking green silver pants, but will f*** the brand with the new white pants and white helmets with no thought at all. They can never just look good. 

And then we have teams like the Cardinals who badly need to mix and match but refuse. They have a bad roster and a bad record but are simultaneously trying to establish an identity of solely monochrome uniforms that they refuse to deviate from for no reason at all.

• Like 3

I can live with the lighter Dolphins aqua since it sort of differentiates them from the other Florida team that already uses a darker shade. Yes, I know it’s teal, but it looks quite similar to Miami’s retro aqua.

Sure, their current uniforms could use some elements from the old ones, but the color alone is at least pretty unique.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Dolphins 1987-93(?) set with the double outline was the best Miami has ever looked 

Double outlines with a meaningless white gap = 💩

I don't know how you can argue that this

spacer.png

is better than this

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Because it is! Hope this helps! 👍

As simple a disagreement you'll ever see. I respect your opinion, but you'll never convince me of that. I feel like the white gap in the numbers makes them (marginally) more difficult to read and overall weaker.

For the same reason, I've always thought the Montreal Canadiens' white jerseys were downgraded massively in 1998 when they added a double outline to the numbers.

spacer.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spacer.png

(The change in the shade of red doesn't bother me that much)

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

2 minutes ago, ruttep said:

As simple a disagreement you'll ever see. I respect your opinion, but you'll never convince me of that. I feel like the white gap in the numbers makes them (marginally) more difficult to read and overall weaker.

For the same reason, I've always thought the Montreal Canadiens' white jerseys were downgraded massively in 1998 when they added a double outline to the numbers.

spacer.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spacer.png

(The change in the shade of red doesn't bother me that much)

That’s a fair assessment. Honestly, I think App State does a really good job at it. I believe the outer line is a bit thicker than that of the Dolphins

spacer.png

The current Patriots white jersey has a double outline of silver and red, but if you aren’t paying close attention, it gives the illusion of a white and red double outline-

spacer.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

That’s a fair assessment. Honestly, I think App State does a really good job at it. I believe the outer line is a bit thicker than that of the Dolphins

spacer.png

The current Patriots white jersey has a double outline of silver and red, but if you aren’t paying close attention, it gives the illusion of a white and red double outline-

spacer.png

Yeah, I'd say it bothers me more with the Dolphins and Habs jerseys I previously mentioned because they're lighter colored numbers against a white background (aqua and royal blue, respectively). With white against black and navy against white there's enough contrast where it somewhat works.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

They need to try the green pants with the navy or white jersey. It might not look good but it's worth trying

You know what...I wouldn't mind seeing that myself, even if only to increase the amount of [action] green in a uniform that barely uses it as is. (That goes for the logo, too.)

5 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

What's there to take from the current uniforms? The throwbacks are better in every aspect as far as I can tell

The throwbacks may be better than the currents...but they are NOT better than the 80s-early '90s set. (More to follow...)

4 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

The Dolphins are interesting to me because they're an old team with the vibes of an expansion one. They're in a fun, young city with vibrant colors and known for flashy offensive weapons like Dan Marino and Tyreek Hill. I think you need to have an identity that caters to both the history and the modernity, which is definitely threading a needle. 

Well, in the relative scheme of things, they are an expansion team. Or was, back in 1966, along with the Falcons. (the Saints came on board the following year.) Fun fact: they were the first AFL/AFC team to utilize orange. (Before anyone tries it, and it may be hard to remember now, but the Browns were an NFL team until the merger.) At any rate they were one of if not the first pro sports team to use teal/aqua. (I gotta double check their historical overlap with the California Seals.) That period in time is about the sweet spot for what I guess at that time would have been considered "contemporary modern", given their non-traditional colorway applied into a traditional design. All of which is to say yes, there is a way to blend traditional, contemporary, and modern...and I think they got close in the late '90s. (The addition of navy might have been a step too far, though.)

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I also prefer their current uniforms. Even the number font - the curves give it a slight Art Deco feel that's appropriate for Miami.

I've said it before about the Dolphins' current number set and I'll say it again: those Peyton Manning forehead numbers ain't it. They're also just about one of the worst examples of hacksaw-custom block to have come out of the last decade or so. (Seriously, go look at them, specially the upper-left-hand corners, and you'll see why they collectively look like Peyton Manning's forehead.)

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I don't know how you can argue that this

spacer.png

is better than this

spacer.png

Simple: they ARE. 😀 Really the only difference is the offset outlines on the top sets...but that one little detail fits nicely with the stripe pattern. I'll take either of those (preferably the top set with numbers more akin to what the Browns wear now) over their currents.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Simple: they ARE. 😀 Really the only difference is the offset outlines on the top sets...but that one little detail fits nicely with the stripe pattern. I'll take either of those (preferably the top set with numbers more akin to what the Browns wear now) over their currents.

They're the same uniform except for the number font.

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, ruttep said:

Those stripes are beautiful and look better than the sleeve logos imo.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Aqua pants would be great (without aqua socks).

Both those jerseys look fantastic. I think the sleeve logo would be a bit easier to do on today’s jersey cuts than the big bunch of stripes, but either is good. 

As far as the pants and socks…if they were to modernize the throwbacks, I think sock stripes should be a non-negotiable part of that. Just have white socks with the striping pattern from the uniform, and wear those with all jerseys and pants. 

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Put me down for the '82/'84 Super Bowl-losing Dolphins uniforms: they're nice and stripey but have aqua facemasks. I like the idea of Art Deco numbers but I think it would be too foofy in practice. Add aqua pants as an option for white jerseys and punch up the logo and I think you can arrive at a canonical Fins uniform and never have to touch them again.

Give me 86 every time.

1986.jpg

Never liked the orange-teal-orange stripes on the OG unis pants that they wore through 85. In 1986 they achieved Dolphin perfection. Finally matched the pants to the helmets and matched the jersey sleeves to the socks. It's a perfectly balanced football uniform. But they still have the single outline numbers, which feel sturdier. When they went to double outlines on the numbers and the logos on the sleeves it got a little too cute, too "matchy matchy", a little too "Sacramento Surge". 

A Cardinalian update to the logo (NOT what they did in 97) and a pair of aqua pants for occasional road usage and I think the Dolphins would be set for good. 

Their current logo and uniforms do look like something that belongs on a jet ski, but they don't inspire any emotions one way or another for me. I guess it's a win that they no longer cloud things with blue, but at this point I don't like them just because they're not what's pictured above. 

• Like 8

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

Agreed.  The Cowboys' usual occasional navy blue outfit is just boring.  Consistent, but boring.  But the navy jersey over the (totally unnecessary) white pants is boring, top-heavy, and slapped together.  The standard white is a jumble of too many colors, but at least they look like the Cowboys.

I repeat... the onlyspacer.png Cowboy colors they need...

• Like 9