2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

5 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Some thoughts so far…

NE/MIA looked wonderful. The Dolphins could go back to these throwbacks and I wouldn’t bat an eye.

It was good to see Seattle’s and Houston’s Tennessee’s throwbacks. I don’t care as much who, but the sooner that either the Titans or Texans lay claim to the Luv Ya Blue and Red look, the better.

The Texans could very much use their regular colors but mimic the Oilers uniforms. It’s not a drastic thing to imagine. Quite frankly, it’s the closest the Texans should ever get to the team of 26 years yonder.

Truth of the matter is, everything related to the Oilers still is and always will belong to the Tennessee franchise’s history. Regardless of how disgruntled Houstonians feel on the subject.

• Like 3

Oh, yeah, I forgot, the Dolphins looked great, too. No more toothpaste dolphin. 

6 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Texans could very much use their regular colors but mimic the Oilers uniforms.

They could, but why? The uniform designs themselves were unremarkable, it was the logos and colors that made them special. 

• Like 9

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Texans could very much use their regular colors but mimic the Oilers uniforms. It’s not a drastic thing to imagine. Quite frankly, it’s the closest the Texans should ever get to the team of 26 years yonder.

Truth of the matter is, everything related to the Oilers still is and always will belong to the Tennessee franchise’s history. Regardless of how disgruntled Houstonians feel on the subject.

Ultimately, I agree. That doesn’t sound like a bad idea for the Texans, to be honest. In that case, however, the Titans should wear the Light Blue and Red. (Of course, we know they wouldn’t.)

37 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Ultimately, I agree. That doesn’t sound like a bad idea for the Texans, to be honest. In that case, however, the Titans should wear the Light Blue and Red. (Of course, we know they wouldn’t.)

They already have grey/silver in their scheme so why not this 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

spacer.png

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They could, but why? The uniform designs themselves were unremarkable, it was the logos and colors that made them special. 

People love the consistent stripe pattern. Of course, it probably wouldn’t translate well to navy/red/white, as they’d just turn into knockoff Ohio State.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Here is what, in my opinion, made the OG Seahawks uniform special:

The helmet.

The other 3 NFL teams that use silver helmets all have a stripe bifurcating them. The Seahawks never did and instead had the rare wrap around logo.

Additionally, the shade of silver was never a speckled or sparkly version as would later be used by the Lions and Raiders. Instead, I always felt it gave off a stainless steel look.

With no stripe down the helmet you got a shining silver crown, even under the artificial light of the Kingdome.

You forgot the New England Patriots, who also didn't & don't have stripes down the center of their (sparkly / speckled) silver helmets.

19 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

You forgot the New England Patriots, who also didn't & don't have stripes down the center of their (sparkly / speckled) silver helmets.

I guess they meant at the time of introduction back when New England was still a white helmet team and before Carolina debuted. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

People love the consistent stripe pattern. Of course, it probably wouldn’t translate well to navy/red/white, as they’d just turn into knockoff Ohio State.

The stripes are a nice feature, but they don't make the uniform. The Oilers' uniform in navy blue would be beyond generic.

I always thought nice tweaks to the 1996 uniforms would have been a return to the old sans-serif (not Futura! I learned!) numbers with drop-shadows to match the sans-serif, drop-shadowed wordmark. Not huge, but something between the blocky 49ers kind and a baseball-style offset. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

It’s a shame the throwback replaced the wrong jersey

spacer.png

I prefer the grey jerseys being retired instead of the action green. The grey jerseys are always worn against the same team (cardinals) which made the novelty of it disappear. The grey pants are also still in use which can be worn with both navy and white jerseys while the action green pants are only worn with the action green jerseys. The action green color is also unique and is not used by any other team.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, GoHawks said:

I prefer the grey jerseys being retired instead of the action green. The grey jerseys are always worn against the same team (cardinals) which made the novelty of it disappear. The grey pants are also still in use which can be worn with both navy and white jerseys while the action green pants are only worn with the action green jerseys. The action green color is also unique and is not used by any other team.

I’ve never seen a paragraph with so many uses of “action green”.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

36 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

That all sounds great, you just forgot one detail. There's a reason no one else wears action green. And that reason is that it looks horrible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Like 1
  • Dislike 5

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The stripes are a nice feature, but they don't make the uniform. The Oilers' uniform in navy blue would be beyond generic.

I always thought nice tweaks to the 1996 uniforms would have been a return to the old sans-serif (not Futura! I learned!) numbers with drop-shadows to match the sans-serif, drop-shadowed wordmark. Not huge, but something between the blocky 49ers kind and a baseball-style offset. 

Is Gill Sans too British? Because the shadow variant could work.

medium_SMG00403191.jpg

56 minutes ago, ruttep said:

That all sounds great, you just forgot one detail. There's a reason no one else wears action green. And that reason is that it looks horrible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

🤮🤮🤮🤮

The top uniform would be fantastic with navy blue socks and shoes. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That's a terrible uniform.

Jersey is okay, but below the waist doesn’t look right. 

I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of the Cowboys in white pants. I will never be comfortable with the idea of ANYONE in white pants with plain white socks. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Is Gill Sans too British? Because the shadow variant could work.

I don't think it's too British. Mid-century modern is the note I always thought they were trying to strike, since that's kind of when Houston came of age, and I think Gill Sans fits that. I think it's even pretty close to that original number set.

• Like 1

One thing I do like about the old Seahawks stuff: green as the bottom stripe on the bird head. Neon green is indeed a fine accent color. It'd look better on the helmets (and anywhere else the logo goes) than grey. 

• Like 5