2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

He pretty much summed up how I feel. When people say "It should be full time" I often wonder if they literally mean the exact look because that's not going to fly. Do I want the Bucs to wear orange more? Sure but how about we put orange with the current pewter look? How about the Eagles create a new kelly green look? The Browns went back to their classic look but you know what they did? They modified the look. That's what you should do. You wanna go forwards not backwards with aesthetics.

I hate when teams go back to old looks without adapting it for modern conventions. If you're going back to an old look that's an opportunity to fix some of the things that didn't work the first time. It's an opportunity to incorporate some of the new stuff that's been done well in the intervening years. It doesn't have to be/shouldn't be re-adopted identically to the old look just because that's how it was worn the first time. The Chargers are a good example of how to do this right.

Take the Seahawks as a hypothetical. If they were to go back to the 80's/90's unis there's some things that would have to change. The 2002 logo update is such an improvement over the old one that it'd be a crime to throw out. I'd also lose the collar striping, match the pants stripes to the sleeve stripes and go with a brighter green. 

• Like 12

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

A double outline is different than a ghosted outline. A double outline uses three colors  - none of which match the jersey. And then there's the variation of the ghosted outline where the outer outline matches the color of the number, like the Cowboys navy jerseys.

Single outline (Panthers for example) > double outline (49ers shown above, Patriots) > ghosted outline with different color (80s Dolphins shown above, Canadiens) > single-color number (Jaguars) > ghosted outline with same color (Cowboys, Lightning)

Here's my ranking:

1. Single Outline

2. Single-color number

3. Double Outline

10a. Ghosted outline with different color

10b. Ghosted outline with same color

(The Lightning actually have a double outline on the home jersey with the inner outline being black and a ghosted outline different color on the away jersey with the outer outline being black)

• Yawn 1

Two things. 

First, of course the modern cut of uniforms make it less possible to simply import an old design forward.  I’m assuming that when most people say that a team should just wear their throwback permanently they mean an updated version.  The Chargers are a perfect example.  They obviously started with the idea that the 60’s look was great starting point and updated the parts that wouldn’t still work as well.  When I say a team needs to return to an old look this is what I mean.  

Secondly, it’s obviously a case by case thing.  Some teams have a throwback that’s fun to see once or twice a year but should probably just stay in that category. (San Francisco, Detroit, the Giants, Dallas, Tampa Bay, New England.) Other teams would be smart to use their clearly superior older uniforms as a jumping off point for a modern update. (Tennessee, the Jets, Miami, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Seattle, Atlanta.) 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I’ve always been a lone genius, true.  

Not on this issue.  I would have chimed in to the same effect if you hadn't beaten me to the punch.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Not on this issue.  I would have chimed in to the same effect if you hadn't beaten me to the punch.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.  I’m absolutely positive that when the Seahawks went from that gorgeous Royal and Kelly color scheme to the depressing dull blue pajama look it wasn’t just me and you who considered that to be a major step back.  

• Like 5

I was 15 when these debuted so I thought they were the coolest thing in a long time. I played the Seahawks all the time in NFL Fever on XBOX. 

amluhho5moqkuvkipuim.jpg

They have not aged well in retrospect, but I still prefer them to the 2012 update. That slate blue was fun. 

At the time I thought the Seahawks uniforms were both stuffy and boring and they were the third silver helmet, blue jersey team. I was in favor of the change. 

Edit: of course, at the time they were never photographed with the colors looking this rich and sharp. 

ppelsucjyrmasgcfctdd

Whenever I saw the Seahawks as a kid it was under the dreariest of dome lighting. 

seattle-seahawks-quarterback-jon-kitna-s

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I hate when teams go back to old looks without adapting it for modern conventions. If you're going back to an old look that's an opportunity to fix some of the things that didn't work the first time. It's an opportunity to incorporate some of the new stuff that's been done well in the intervening years. It doesn't have to be/shouldn't be re-adopted identically to the old look just because that's how it was worn the first time. The Chargers are a good example of how to do this right.

I'll add the Browns and Buccaneers to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sport said:

I was 15 when these debuted so I thought they were the coolest thing in a long time. I played the Seahawks all the time in NFL Fever on XBOX. 

amluhho5moqkuvkipuim.jpg

They have not aged well in retrospect, but I still prefer them to the 2012 update. That slate blue was fun. 

At the time I thought the Seahawks uniforms were both stuffy and boring and they were the third silver helmet, blue jersey team. I was in favor of the change. 

I agree that slate blue uniform was better than what they currently wear.  If they had worn them blue over white like this...

spacer.png

...it would've been a perfectly serviceable early 2000's update.  (That was when pretty much every team dumped their better looking color schemes for something dark and kewl.)  But it's hard for me to see the sombre blue as somehow more boring than their original color scheme, even with that bad Kingdome lighting. 

Still it's better than what they wear now, just based on the idea that boring monochrome is superior to ugly monochrome.

2 hours ago, Sport said:

• Like 3

I loved that shade of Seahawks blue, but most of the time it was darkened by the environment they played in. This could've either been during rainy weather, inside domes with poor lighting, or during night games. It felt similar to the Eagles' midnight green back then, though Nike's material seems to improve on the brightness that Reebok lacked. Still, I just don't see Seattle returning to that color.

• Like 2

That old Puget Slate* color was also dang-near impossible to replicate, since (I believe) it was a custom swatch. 

The thing I never understood about that era is why they felt the need to employ two blues thatclose in hue. Didn't care about it then, but who up there made THAT call?

Anyway, if we're ranking Seahawks sets now, give me the last royal/kelly/silver sets, then the Nikehawks, then the Puget Slate sets. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, Sport said:

amluhho5moqkuvkipuim.jpg

Edit: of course, at the time they were never photographed with the colors looking this rich and sharp. 

ppelsucjyrmasgcfctdd

Whenever I saw the Seahawks as a kid it was under the dreariest of dome lighting. 

seattle-seahawks-quarterback-jon-kitna-s

I just wished they painted the end zones Grey, along with the throwback set. Reminds me when my dad would take us to the games in the Kingdome.

Just now, AppleValley2020 said:

I just wished they painted the end zones Grey, along with the throwback set. Reminds me when my dad would take us to the games in the Kingdome.

Same. Well, in so much as I wanted to see the endzones in silver. I never went to the Kingdome with my dad. Haha.

I love seeing the Steelers in their standard home uniforms on Thursday night. Not many teams do this anymore. They are likely saving their Color Rush for the Week 14 TNF game against New England though (which may get flexed?).

Titans look sharp in this combo as always. Not sure what their organization has had against it for the past several years.

• Like 1

As far as the Seahawks go, I think the throwback is the superior look. As others have pointed out, the royal and kelly together, offset by the silver, especially in sunlight (which, I know, is rare in Seattle), is a great look. Plus, the color balancing and size of the individual elements make that uniform visually pleasing. (There aren't many overly fussy details.) However, with the general discussion in this thread about throwbacks and how they're nice as throwbacks occasionally throughout the year, I was curious what the look would look like with the Seahawks' other two colorways (modern and 00s) as a way to modernize. So here are (roughly) the three colorways on the same picture:

Throwbacks:

spacer.png

2000s colors:

spacer.png

Current colors:

spacer.png

A couple observations: 1) The 00s colors need navy to offset the other two. The Puget/gunmetal blue is too washed out on its own, especially near/up against that lime green. So I think that would be out, unless all of the silver elements become gunmetal blue, and all of the royal elements are navy. (That was too much effort, frankly, for me to quick-and-dirty photoshop that. Haha.) 2) The modern colors work well with the throwback look. That might be the key to a somewhat conservative modernization a la Minnesota or Cleveland.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

11 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Double white pants is so underwhelming. Why are the Bucs no longer obsessed with their pewter pants?

I’m very worried that the bucs are going to go white socks. I’ve noticed the big names are starting to go rogue and do it anyway. And I have no clue the obsession with white/white. Traditionally they’ve basically been white/white home and white/pewter road (not always the case, just predominantly) now it seems like it’s mainly white/white and even the rare red occasion has white pants. Red/pewter is my favorite and the default set, but gets worn like 2x anymore.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

I'm not too familiar with these silly-looking modern helmets, but it looks like there's something that would block the bottom right of the derrick.

I'm all for anything that legitimately increases player safety, but any ridges or vents that are cosmetic or just for branding really need to go.  Ridges or other things that are parts of the safety system are fine, but the "just because it's kewl" gimmicks need to go.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."