MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

6 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Giant fans wish the team would wear that bland awful white CC jersey all the time??   🤯

When they have such a great home uniform  + a black jersey and an orange one as well!

Just cuz they had a good winning record in them for a while.  Nothing to do with the design.  Superstition, y'know

• Like 2

On 6/12/2024 at 1:02 PM, DrunkKidCatholic said:

VsD831i.jpeg

My conspiracy theory is that Nike already designed a Statue of Liberty themed Yankees CC and the various accessory manufacturers made stuff for it before the Yankees said absolutely not. Rizzo was also wearing batting gloves with what looked like sea foam green trim a couple weeks ago.

spacer.png

This is one of the worst CC uniforms imo...... you got a team in blue and orange.... they have a fun field gimmick with a red apple popping up... and you couldn't do anything fun and colorful with those things??

All the world famous stuff you could have highlighted in NYC and you went with..... concrete.  Bravo.

You came up with a black and grey uniform that even a 90 old grandpa think is dull.

Every time i see them play it reminds me of old prison uniforms.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 2
  • Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Eh, that's not really the case anymore with City Connect. It's hardly a favorite of any Giants fan I know, and many of us were glad when their arrival got delayed this year.

its better than wearing literal d#dger blue

mens-nike-cream-san-francisco-giants-202

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

22 hours ago, damnyoutuesday said:

Cubs CC has grown on me

It's still terrible. Much like the Yankees and Tigers, the Cubs are another case where the sports team apparel in and of itself represents the city better than any graphic designer's research project ever could. 

Beyond that, it's the same gimmick as the BP/ST jerseys of the early 2000s: an entry point to navy blue merchandise because consultants told them some people are afraid to wear royal blue. Didn't like it then and don't now. The idea of being from "Wrigleyville" clangs because present-day Wrigleyville is less a neighborhood and more a very sophisticated real estate development at this point, where the Rickettses themselves own all the rooftops, all the bars, and anything else that was once part of a quirky but symbiotic relationship between the team and its neighbors. It's like if the Steve Ellman Phoenix Coyotes wore sweaters that said "Westgate." 

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

37 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

It's still terrible. Much like the Yankees and Tigers, the Cubs are another case where the sports team apparel in and of itself represents the city better than any graphic designer's research project ever could. 

Beyond that, it's the same gimmick as the BP/ST jerseys of the early 2000s: an entry point to navy blue merchandise because consultants told them some people are afraid to wear royal blue. Didn't like it then and don't now. The idea of being from "Wrigleyville" clangs because present-day Wrigleyville is less a neighborhood and more a very sophisticated real estate development at this point, where the Rickettses themselves own all the rooftops, all the bars, and anything else that was once part of a quirky but symbiotic relationship between the team and its neighbors. It's like if the Steve Ellman Phoenix Coyotes wore sweaters that said "Westgate." 

That's actually a good point on the Wrigleyville moniker. There was a time where the concept seemed unique because the surrounding area felt more community-bound of local businesses and hospitality. Now it's just a billionaire-controlled entertainment ward with overpriced amenities. I still found enjoyment for when I visited, but it still lost some of the mystique I had always thought for it.

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

That's actually a good point on the Wrigleyville moniker. There was a time where the concept seemed unique because the surrounding area felt more community-bound of local businesses and hospitality. Now it's just a billionaire-controlled entertainment ward with overpriced amenities. I still found enjoyment for when I visited, but it still lost some of the mystique I had always thought for it.

I always got a chuckle out of the seething resentment everyone had for each other in the Tribune days, as if no one could understand that both sides drew their value from each other: the Cubs drawing 41,000 for bad day baseball but not getting a high enough percentage out of the bros across the street, or homeowners on Sheffield complaining about noise and traffic while essentially selling bootleg luxury boxes. Everyone couldn't just shut up.

What I hate most of the changes to the area is that big graphite-grey cube across the street where the 7-Eleven used to be. Get off the Red Line at Addison and it catches your eye as much as the world-famous landmark across the street from it does. "Luxury apartments" and one of those bars called "[something] Social" in hideous contemporary blockitecture. That's the Wrigleyville these jerseys represent. Horrible.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

"Luxury apartments" and one of those bars called "[something] Social" in hideous contemporary blockitecture.

🤮

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 6/14/2024 at 10:00 PM, Ted Cunningham said:

I believe this has been pointed out before, but to reiterate: If one were to go the city abbreviation route for Pittsburgh, "PGH" is the appropriate and traditional abbreviation for the city. PIT is the airport code. Pitt is the school, and only the school. If the point of the City Connect program is to connect with the city; and Nike, the Pirates, and MLB settled on using a city abbreviation for the Pirates' iteration of the City Connect uniforms, any abbreviation other than PGH would be referring to something other than the city itself.

None of that passes value judgments on the quality of the uniform design. But within the context, "PGH" is correct.

Wow...  I never knew this.  I was along with all the others who thought it was the stupidest abbreviation option, but... guess that's another win for the program, hitting on local references.

On 6/15/2024 at 4:01 PM, coco1997 said:

@Silent Wind of Doom Cubs finally broke out their City Connects yesterday vs St. Louis:

CTC-L-Chicago-Cubs-061424-23_196378924.j

Thanks!  @Sec19Row53 actually clued me in a couple days ago, but the weekend was crazy busy and I never got a chance to say anything about it.  I believe that's it.  All uniforms are present and accounted for in this new Nike age, besides of course the original Dodgers City Connects.  And Friday was indeed the first home Friday in June for the Cubbies, so the June start thing looks like it's on the money.

As for the actual uniforms...   I've always felt... just... nothing.  I couldn't say whether I liked them or hated them because I nothinged them.  But looking at them in these pictures from Friday, I did have a positive vibe.  Maybe that's just because the search is finally over, or maybe they're growing on me.

15 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The idea of being from "Wrigleyville" clangs because present-day Wrigleyville is less a neighborhood and more a very sophisticated real estate development at this point, where the Rickettses themselves own all the rooftops, all the bars, and anything else that was once part of a quirky but symbiotic relationship between the team and its neighbors. It's like if the Steve Ellman Phoenix Coyotes wore sweaters that said "Westgate." 

15 hours ago, Dynasty said:

In scouring the internet to find any information on whether or not the Cubs did wear them for a set window within the uniform, I read the reveal of these somewhere.  According to them/Nike/whoever was at the keyboard, "Wrigleyville" did not respond to the neighborhood, but rather that every corner and neighborhood of the city is Wrigleyville and there were a number of touches listing all of the neighborhoods.  The article framed it as a counter to the White Sox claiming only one side of the city.

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

According to them/Nike/whoever was at the keyboard, "Wrigleyville" did not respond to the neighborhood, but rather that every corner and neighborhood of the city is Wrigleyville

And here I thought it was bad when they were calling Chinatown "the South Loop"

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Dodgers got two swings at a City Connect and missed both times. The colorful sprinkles represent the diversity of Los Angeles? I'm pretty sure all big cities in the US have just as much diversity. 

"It's all in the details."

Never heard that one before.

Not nearly as bad as I thought, but not great either.  Honestly, I was hoping these would be worse.  If there's any team that should have a trash CC, it's the Dodgers.  The more reasons I have to hate this franchise, the more incentive I have to get out of bed in the morning.

• Like 2

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

I've made fun of the silly literalism in the references of Nike City designs, but in some ways that's preferable to the way they rationalize some of these ideas.

Typefaces inspired by the Coliseum and mid-century architecture? If so, drifted pretty far from the brief on that.

• Like 1