fouhy12's NFL Concepts - Championship Weekend Edition (Lions, Chiefs, 49ers added)

fouhy12

Hey everyone! Got inspired by some of the throwbacks released recently and the conversation over in the NFL 2023 Changes thread to start working on some new concepts. I don't have a goal with this thread, just going to use it to post any NFL concepts I make as I go along. 

Going to start here with my Seahawks concept. This one fuses the overall design of the throwbacks with the font from the newest set and the coloring of the past two uniforms. 

spacer.png

Curious to hear your thoughts on this! 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Hey everyone! Got inspired by some of the throwbacks released recently and the conversation over in the NFL 2023 Changes thread to start working on some new concepts. I don't have a goal with this thread, just going to use it to post any NFL concepts I make as I go along. 

Going to start here with my Seahawks concept. This one fuses the overall design of the throwbacks with the font from the newest set and the coloring of the past two uniforms. 

spacer.png

Curious to hear your thoughts on this! 

I was curious on what it would look like if the Seahawks took their classic set and darkened the blue and green (dark royal and a forest green) with the new logo on the helmet. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Thanks for the feedback. Updating this with a slightly different template including sleeves and gloves to get an idea of what accessories would be worn with each uniform. I'm also going to just be doing two uniforms for each team, home and road only. I'm doing this to force myself to declare the best combinations for each team. I may come back and do alternates later, but, for now, I'm keeping it simple to give my creativity some constraints. 

Here's Seattle in the new look:

zsQp27C.png

The players would wear navy sleeves at home and either navy or white on the road with action green gloves. 

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have a good but muddled look right now. Balancing black and purple together is tough since the two can blend from a distance. I fixed the problem by separating the colors entirely. This new identity features a plain black helmet and socks paired with jerseys and pants that prominently feature purple and gold. The current font is replaced by a blockier gothic one with a metallic gold drop shadow. 

vI42WMy.png

Tennessee Titans

The Titans are going back in time with this look. Out are the dull navy and grey, in are Columbia blue and a pop of red. I adjusted the old number font to make it thicker with more even weighting and widened the old shoulder yolk. Add red accessories to the mix, and you've got a bright and colorful mix that stands out in the league. 

wIWsISa.png

• Like 10

• fouhy12 changed the title to fouhy12's NFL Concepts - Baltimore Ravens & Tennessee Titans
  • 2 months later...

Been a while! Back with a trio of NFC teams.

Let's start with the latest team to rebrand: Arizona. I like a lot about what the Cardinals did with the new uniforms. The logo treatment and helmet flake are both really nice. The addition of silver as a trim color and use of the stripe on the road uniform is fantastic. And the modernized block font from their previous set looks fantastic with the hard corners. 

I built off that base to create cohesion between the home and road uniforms, remove the full monochrome sets, and add some Arizona flair. The stripes on the sleeves and pants now have a thicker silver middle with a slightly darker shade, making it more visible from a distance. The sleeve stripe now has a subtle sublimated Arizona flag in it. 

VxmTIuI.png

Next up: the defending NFC champs. I think the Eagles have a lot right with their current set, but they make it way too complicated by using black, charcoal, and grey. I simplified the color scheme to midnight green and silver to let the rich green stand out and not get muddied in a darker palette. The dark jersey is accompanied by silver pants, creating a look that blends the Kelly-green era in with the modern one. On the road, the green pants make their appearance with white, striped socks. The number font is a modified version of what the team wears now with the stroke width made more consistent throughout. 

0j2rEsI.png

Finally, we head down south to wrap up this edition. The Falcons keep their current helmet with its gorgeous finish and silver facemask. The rest of this uniform is inspired by what Atlanta wore in the 90s. Simple jerseys with a block font trimmed in red and the logo on the sleeve are paired with silver pants and black socks. The stripe on the pants follows the black-white-red-white-black pattern as it did in the 90s, but the outer portion is slightly tapered to match the logo. 

AtpEVLr.png

I would love some feedback on these and any of the previous concepts!

• Like 9

• fouhy12 changed the title to fouhy12's NFL Concepts - Cardinals, Eagles, and Falcons
On 11/2/2023 at 5:37 PM, fouhy12 said:

Been a while! Back with a trio of NFC teams.

Let's start with the latest team to rebrand: Arizona. I like a lot about what the Cardinals did with the new uniforms. The logo treatment and helmet flake are both really nice. The addition of silver as a trim color and use of the stripe on the road uniform is fantastic. And the modernized block font from their previous set looks fantastic with the hard corners. 

I built off that base to create cohesion between the home and road uniforms, remove the full monochrome sets, and add some Arizona flair. The stripes on the sleeves and pants now have a thicker silver middle with a slightly darker shade, making it more visible from a distance. The sleeve stripe now has a subtle sublimated Arizona flag in it. 

VxmTIuI.png

Next up: the defending NFC champs. I think the Eagles have a lot right with their current set, but they make it way too complicated by using black, charcoal, and grey. I simplified the color scheme to midnight green and silver to let the rich green stand out and not get muddied in a darker palette. The dark jersey is accompanied by silver pants, creating a look that blends the Kelly-green era in with the modern one. On the road, the green pants make their appearance with white, striped socks. The number font is a modified version of what the team wears now with the stroke width made more consistent throughout. 

0j2rEsI.png

Finally, we head down south to wrap up this edition. The Falcons keep their current helmet with its gorgeous finish and silver facemask. The rest of this uniform is inspired by what Atlanta wore in the 90s. Simple jerseys with a block font trimmed in red and the logo on the sleeve are paired with silver pants and black socks. The stripe on the pants follows the black-white-red-white-black pattern as it did in the 90s, but the outer portion is slightly tapered to match the logo. 

AtpEVLr.png

I would love some feedback on these and any of the previous concepts!

They all look nice, but I would have added a red jersey and helmet for Atlanta so they can have an alt when they get tired of wearing the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 7:14 PM, Silver_Star said:

They all look nice, but I would have added a red jersey and helmet for Atlanta so they can have an alt when they get tired of wearing the same thing.

As I said in the initial post, I'm limiting myself to just one dark and one light uniform per team. Perhaps I'll come back through and add more, but I'm trying to force myself to choose specific identities for each team.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, Lights Out said:

I like that Eagles concept, but I'd reverse the colors of the helmet wings - make them white with silver outlines.

If I come back through and make tweaks, I'll try this. I could see it looking good. 

On 11/5/2023 at 10:34 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Not a huge fan of the Titans look. I’d try something with UCLA stripes

UCLA stripes aren't something that franchise really has in its history, and their divisional rival Indianapolis has their history built around those on the jersey. I went for the shoulder yoke as a design element used frequently since the team moved to Tennessee, and I thought updating that aesthetic had the most promise.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:47 PM, ruttep said:

I've always liked the late 90s version of that white jersey with red numbers and red socks

spacer.png

I considered this, but with red-number-outlined-by-black also a feature of their rivals to the south, I figured sticking with the black numbers was the way to go. I do play with that set in Madden quite often, though. A great looking uniform right there. 

• Like 1

I'm back with another trio of concepts. This time, I'm showcasing the AFC East. These three teams all have good uniforms now and strong histories to pull from. You won't see drastic departures here. Instead, I approached these by letting history clean up what the team has going now. Let's get started with the Buffalo Bills.

To me, the Bills should always wear red helmets. Yes, the white ones look good, but the red is distinctive when paired with the blue jersey. I built around that, combining aspects from the 90s jerseys with an updated version of the jersey and collar striping seen today. All put together, this is a uniform that clearly looks like the Buffalo Bills while being distinctive within the division.

BoORuJA.png

Moving south to their in-state rival, let's take a look at the New York Jets. I liked a lot of what the Jets did with their rebrand. The finish on the helmet is gorgeous, and the jersey striping is modern but not in a bad way. Embracing Kelly green as their color once again did wonders for the team's identity, but muddling that with black has been a mistake. Here, I present what is essentially a cleaned up and refined version of what the Jets wear today. 

pda7RpN.png

Lastly, let's head east to take a look at the New England Patriots. With their redesign in 2020, the franchise unveiled what I believe to be the best jerseys in its history. Pairing the traditional shoulder stripes with the dynasty colors and double number outline was the way to go. Unfortunately, a lack of shoulder numbers and insistence on navy below the waist set this new brand back from what it could have been. I correct that here, making shiny silver pants the primary at home and adding striped, white socks to pair with the dark pants on the road. 

5Ooxm53.png

• Like 5

• fouhy12 changed the title to fouhy12's NFL Concepts - Bills, Jets, and Patriots
2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Lastly, let's head east to take a look at the New England Patriots. With their redesign in 2020, the franchise unveiled what I believe to be the best jerseys in its history. Pairing the traditional shoulder stripes with the dynasty colors and double number outline was the way to go. Unfortunately, a lack of shoulder numbers and insistence on navy below the waist set this new brand back from what it could have been. I correct that here, making shiny silver pants the primary at home and adding striped, white socks to pair with the dark pants on the road. 

5Ooxm53.png

agree that this jersey is the best in it's history; however with there being no silver in the jersey I've always felt that they should drop silver from their colors. That's just me though; this is a great set

ZUH86xc.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, fouhy12 said:

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have a good but muddled look right now. Balancing black and purple together is tough since the two can blend from a distance. I fixed the problem by separating the colors entirely. This new identity features a plain black helmet and socks paired with jerseys and pants that prominently feature purple and gold. The current font is replaced by a blockier gothic one with a metallic gold drop shadow. 

vI42WMy.png

I would ditch gold and just go with black and purple (it works for TCU and Northwestern). Slightly lighten the purple and use black. Mustard gold should be treated like how red is as part of the logo color instead just like how current Jacksonville is doing.

On 11/24/2023 at 4:39 PM, johne9109 said:

agree that this jersey is the best in it's history; however with there being no silver in the jersey I've always felt that they should drop silver from their colors. That's just me though; this is a great set

100% agree. I would love to see a white helmet with the current helmet logo. 

• 1 month later...

Popping on to add my Championship Weekend concepts. My Ravens concept is already upthread, and I'll add the other three teams that played this weekend here. The Chiefs, Lions, and 49ers all have a good base for their uniforms already, so you won't see drastic changes here. 

For the Chiefs, my goal was simple: make the stripes consistent. When worn correctly, the Chiefs currently have one of the best sets in the NFL. My only gripe is having differing stripe patterns on the sleeves, pants, and socks. I cleaned that up in this concept.

dF4Lsph.png

Paired with my Ravens concepts, here's how the AFC Championship would look.

KfYPEVe.png

Now, let's move to the NFC. I'll start with the visiting Lions. Their current set has strong components to it, but the double grey, logos in the stripes, number font, and insistence on wearing bad combos all detract from the overall picture. This concept takes the idea of the current uniforms and mixes it with more traditional Lions aesthetics. Also, we're bringing back the shiny silver pants.

gOPkMrk.png

Their hosts, the San Francisco 49ers, just about nailed their uniforms with the saloon font wordmark on the front and the three stripes on the sleeves. I added those stripes back to the socks, introduced a wider pants stripe, and returned the gold pants to a shiny finish.

VJ2ButM.png

My NFC Championship:

joFcgGx.png

And, as a bonus, here's what the Super Bowl would look like:

4a2a3VW.png

• Like 6

• fouhy12 changed the title to fouhy12's NFL Concepts - Championship Weekend Edition (Lions, Chiefs, 49ers added)
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope I never actually start an NFL redesign series because a lot of my ideal looks for these teams look nearly identical to what you've posted.

The only CC I can think of that aren't just minor creative differences are:

Eagles

- Don't care for having the collars be colored while the cuffs aren't. Should be one or the other imo.

- Number font still isn't working for me. It maybe could be with just an outline instead of the drop shadow but the grey and white lose themselves within each other. (like the black, charcoal, and grey do for the birds rn)

Seahawks

- that green has to be more of an accent color with how dominant it is. (A shade closer to their throwback green would be nice but that probably wouldnt mesh well with the blue you have)

Jets

- the traditional stripes on the pants and socks clash with the sharp stripes on the shoulders a little.

Ravens

- would prefer TV numbers with some design on the sleeve caps. (could be a small sublimated pattern or just the B or the crest/sheild logo they use)

Lions

- maybe would see where white could fit on the home look (other than the numbers) if possible. Have no idea where it would come from though and it already looks great, so not a big deal.

Titans

- While the original look is 10x nicer than what they have now, I wouldnt consider it a great one. Would love to see what a unique take from you could look like. If you're going to go with this one thought,  somehting on the sleeve cap would be nice. Maybe a one color wordmark too?

Overall, even if none of it is too ambitous, it looks great and is presented cleanly!

• Love 1

These are all really solid. I like what you did with Seattle particularly. I am still not sold on silver being the secondary color for the Cardinals, but that is not on you.  Absolutely wish the Titans would go back to something closer to their original uniforms.   Now, the question, will you get rid of or keep Carolina's weird helmet swooshes. To me they are one of the weirdest and most dated elements of any current uni. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Weapon X said:

I hope I never actually start an NFL redesign series because a lot of my ideal looks for these teams look nearly identical to what you've posted.

The only CC I can think of that aren't just minor creative differences are:

Eagles

- Don't care for having the collars be colored while the cuffs aren't. Should be one or the other imo.

- Number font still isn't working for me. It maybe could be with just an outline instead of the drop shadow but the grey and white lose themselves within each other. (like the black, charcoal, and grey do for the birds rn)

Seahawks

- that green has to be more of an accent color with how dominant it is. (A shade closer to their throwback green would be nice but that probably wouldnt mesh well with the blue you have)

Jets

- the traditional stripes on the pants and socks clash with the sharp stripes on the shoulders a little.

Ravens

- would prefer TV numbers with some design on the sleeve caps. (could be a small sublimated pattern or just the B or the crest/sheild logo they use)

Lions

- maybe would see where white could fit on the home look (other than the numbers) if possible. Have no idea where it would come from though and it already looks great, so not a big deal.

Titans

- While the original look is 10x nicer than what they have now, I wouldnt consider it a great one. Would love to see what a unique take from you could look like. If you're going to go with this one thought,  somehting on the sleeve cap would be nice. Maybe a one color wordmark too?

Overall, even if none of it is too ambitous, it looks great and is presented cleanly!

Figured I'd go through these one by one:

Eagles - fair critiques, just a difference of styles. I prefer to just have the collars colored with this color scheme, and I've always liked this current Eagles font. I do hear you on the grey and white losing themselves in one another, I can come back around when I make tweaks and see if I can clean that up.

Seahawks - I like the splash of neon green, but I see where it could be too much for some. I can look at toning that down a bit by using it more as an accent color.

Jets - this is the concept I like the least in here. very tough to blend the modern and the traditional with the Jets. may come back and re-do this entire thing at some point.

Ravens - I wanted to go simple here, with the number font and color scheme carrying the day. I also think the Maryland flag gets a bit overdone, and adding a logo just to add a logo doesn't do much. If I think of a design I like, I'll add it. Otherwise, this one is going to stay the same for me.

Lions - went through the same dilemma when making this. I think it looks good anyway, so I'm not going to try to shoehorn in white if it doesn't need to be there.

Titans - Similar to the Ravens, I was trying to let the color blocking and larger design carry this one and stick to simplicity.  I could definitely add a wordmark on the front, but I do get worried that adding more to the shoulder design would actually take away from it. I'll mull that over, but the shoulder yoke like that is quintessential Titans to me, so I was always going to build around that.

Thank you for the feedback!

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

These are all really solid. I like what you did with Seattle particularly. I am still not sold on silver being the secondary color for the Cardinals, but that is not on you.  Absolutely wish the Titans would go back to something closer to their original uniforms.   Now, the question, will you get rid of or keep Carolina's weird helmet swooshes. To me they are one of the weirdest and most dated elements of any current uni. 

Thank you! I have a feeling Carolina is going to come later in my list, mostly because that's one team where I have a ton of different ideas I like a lot and I need time to narrow it down. But I can assure you, those helmet swooshes will be gone (just like they are for my Ravens and Titans concepts). 

12 hours ago, Bomba Tomba said:

Seeing the Ravens and Lions in those bangers makes it hurt even more that they didn't advance

Here's what that would have looked like for you.

nxyr1Yv.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1