2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

As a Stars fan, I and other Stars fans will push back on the whole "every team in the Sun Belt is a massive failure."  The early success of the Stars resulted in places called StarCenters, which are centers for Youth Hockey, High school Hockey and used as skating rinks for the local communities in which they are located.  There's also a high school hockey league too.

And the assumption that NHL hockey can succeed in Houston because it succeeded in Dallas is premature.  Could they be a success like the Stars?  Absolutely they could be but we don't know for sure.  

honestly my issue isn't really with a sunbelt team winning (though it being specifically a Florida team is moderately irritating), it's moreso that the opportunity for Edmonton to kill American hockey fans' own personal attack helicopter joke on a reverse sweep was right there and it just didn't happen. it makes Florida winning their first-ever cup at home feel less like a triumph and more like a narrowly-averted disaster. just one of the biggest blue-ballings in recent sports history.

at least now I can just spend my summer coasting on the Yankees being good and the Mets being chaotic neutral.

53Ocz8U.png

38 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

While the Panthers are basking in the glory of victory tonight, the NHL seems to be saying goodbye for good to another franchise. After the auction for the land that Alex Meruelo was planning for an arena was cancelled, it looks like he is walking away from the Coyotes franchise prospects for good. At this point, the timing to get the franchise back up and running was too tight.

R.I.P. Arizona Coyotes. Your journey in the desert had no shortage of entertainment. May you wander the desert sands eternally, forever looking for your next home.

Sources: Alex Meruelo is walking away from Coyotes ownership (gophnx.com)

Well, since it looks like Meruelo is out of owning anything Coyotes-related, maybe we can just let Utah officially have the Coyotes franchise lineage (records, retired numbers, rights to the Kachina, etc.). At least Shane Doan’s retired number 19 would  have a place to hang—the Jazz pretty much did it with Pistol Pete Maravich:

spacer.png

I know it’s not likely to happen, but a guy can dream, and as a fan, I’d own it.

Edited by DustDevil61
A guy can dream
  • Like 1

Insert Signature Here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

honestly my issue isn't really with a sunbelt team winning (though it being specifically a Florida team is moderately irritating), it's moreso that the opportunity for Edmonton to kill American hockey fans' own personal attack helicopter joke on a reverse sweep was right there and it just didn't happen. it makes Florida winning their first-ever cup at home feel less like a triumph and more like a narrowly-averted disaster. just one of the biggest blue-ballings in recent sports history.

at least now I can just spend my summer coasting on the Yankees being good and the Mets being chaotic neutral.

I would be curious to know from the anti "NHL should never expand to the Sun Belt" people how would they feel if it was the Dallas Stars that had won tonight?  

Just now, GDAWG said:

I would be curious to know from the anti "NHL should never expand to the Sun Belt" people how would they feel if it was the Dallas Stars that had won tonight?  

buddy, if the Stars were in the finals, I already would've checked out two weeks ago. your franchise is trazodone on ice.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

6 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

buddy, if the Stars were in the finals, I already would've checked out two weeks ago. your franchise is trazodone on ice.

The Stars have been a success story though, as I mentioned before.  They are proof that Sun Belt Hockey can work if done correctly.

The team is quite boring on the ice if that is what you are saying.  

Just now, GDAWG said:

The Stars have been a success story though, as I mentioned before.  They are proof that Sun Belt Hockey can work if done correctly.

And I don't know that word "trazodone."  

notice how nobody here is talking about the Stars but you.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

Like most everyone else I was rooting for Edmonton to pull this off, and was disappointed when the Panthers won. But that was before I realized that @Unocal was going to cry like a baby for pages.  If I knew this kind of comedy gold was on the way I could’ve starting cheering for Florida sooner.  

• LOL 4

I was pulling hard for Edmonton until about 11 minutes left in the third when I became terrified at the prospect of a game 7 overtime for the Stanley Cup. That prize coming down to a flukey bounce or a controversial call that we will never stop talking about scared the crap out of me. At that point I started rooting for my old buddy Sergei Bobrovsky to come through one more time and close it out so the ending would be clean. 

Bob's got a sneaky hall of fame case now, by the way. Two Vezinas, two finals appearances, a cup ring, and, most importantly, that time he swept the 62 win Lightning. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

Grrr! Team in warm city no deserve hockey! Big mad they won cup! 😠

I was just hoping it didn't end up being a total gong show of a sweep it almost became. And, truly, it would've been really cool to see McDavid have that career defining moment of willing his team to the first reverse sweep in a final since WWII, on top of everything else he already already has done. I would've been very happy for him and the Oilers fans for that... but it never gets old seeing the "hockey is only for Canada and a handful of states in the US" crowd get all riled up.

The only thing that truly disappointed me was how ESPN can somehow make every game they broadcast feel like it doesn't matter all that much. I can't quite explain it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I get annoyed by hockey elitists who think that NHL in the Sun Belt is a massive failure.  The NHL in Dallas is a smashing success, and there is significant evidence to prove it.  

Id put Nashville down as a success too.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

I think I might have been one of the few pulling for Florida (however I also would have loved an Edmonton win). At the beginning of the playoffs I picked Florida beating Vancouver for the cup. Just picked the wrong Canadian club.

Signature intentionally left blank

8 hours ago, Unocal said:

This is a dark day in hockey. A thug and goon squad with crappy jerseys, fake fans, a crappy logo, the losingest coach ever, the most overpaid goalie ever.........is a Cup champion

I used to love the NHL. I used to revere the playoffs.

Now I barely tolerate the garbage the NHL has devolved into.

Rob Manfred was wrong- the real piece of metal is not the MLB's trophy, it's the NHL's.

THE FLORIDA PANTHERS ARE A DISGRACE TO HOCKEY! THEY DO NOT DESERVE A TEAM, LET ALONE A CUP!

I would have never guessed with how much you trash every thread you enter