2024 International Soccer (National Teams)

MJWalker45

I'm going to laugh so hard if they just end up hiring Robin Fraser or Jim Curtin or somebody like that. But, I thought the new front office did well to get Emma Hayes for the women's team and I wouldn't have expected that hire, so, we'll see.

I'm already annoyed at the fans who seem to think Jurgen Klopp is the only other manager in the world's game.

Berhalter deserves more credit than he got from the fans. He did well to get a lot out of guys like Dest, Turner, even (eventually) Reyna to consistently play well for the USMNT when they were hardly getting any minutes at all at the club level. That's an underrated skill that's not an easy thing. His "system" is whatever but I think the more important thing is that the team had an identity in the previous cycle, which was a real change from the rudderless years prior. It's worrying that that identity seemed a lot less robust in Berhalter Stage 2 and we should all hope it was more about the coach getting stale than the players losing drive. Not sure why the fed, even with all its new faces and structures, still clings to always wanting to keep a coach around for longer than they ought to. We should've learned by now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Messi going out as a champion. GOAT?

I think he'll want to at least play in the next World Cup as a final bow in the United States as an Argentine international. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the US Women's National Team has a new scoring trio in Trinity Rodman, Sophia Smith and Mallory Swanson.  They had a legit fourth scorer when they initially announced the Olympic roster in Catarina Macario, but she had to withdraw due to knee irritation.  She was a part of the 2021 team that won Bronze in Tokyo, but it would be a shame if that's the only major team accomplishment in her career.  

• Like 2

Looks like the US has actually hired Mauricio Pochettino to be their next head coach. 

Amazing get for the USMNT. Can’t believe we’ve been able to upgrade this significantly from Berhalter. 

• Applause 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

19 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Looks like the US has actually hired Mauricio Pochettino to be their next head coach. 

Amazing get for the USMNT. Can’t believe we’ve been able to upgrade this significantly from Berhalter. 

Interesting that both Men's and Women's National Team coaches had Cheslea as their last stop.  

Mildly surprised that they actually went and got a guy with an actual coaching resume. Stupid that Chelsea fired him but good for Poch to get an easy plum gig in a low-pressure environment; good riddance to the nonsense of the current European club climate. Despite that I have some concerns: 

1. I remember last season when Chelsea fans were moaning about their tactical system not suiting their players and the non-stop crosses that hardly produced a goal, which sounds oddly familiar. (This improved as the season wore on but he was also largely bailed out by Cole Palmer going nuclear.)

2. Related to the previous -- the increasingly belligerent USMNT fanbase won't have Old Gregg to kick around anymore, and I suspect that they'll be too blinded by Europhilia to take much out on Poch, so I expect the players themselves to feel more public pressure than they have previously, especially with hosting the WC. This is probably a fair distribution of blame but given how mentally fragile/stupid these players have been, I worry things could go south on that front. Man-management needs to be a real priority for Pochettino here.

3. Poch's teams tend to ship goals and, given how badly the USMNT's defensive form dropped from WC22 to Copa, that problem might get further exacerbated. OTOH, maybe this is a case for playing to your strengths and we can realistically say we expect to win by playing comically high energy and winning 3-2 every game. Should be entertaining at least.

Biggest thing I'm hoping Poch can do, besides the aforementioned instilling of confidence and intelligence, is put in some calls to his coaching buddies and get our players in better club situations. 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

So is he going to go "Euro Heavy" in that he'll have a roster full of Americans who play in Europe or were born in Europe who also play for Euro teams but are eligible for the US?

I mean, it's international play, the player pool is the player pool. The roster is already as Euro-heavy as it's ever been and the Berhalter era secured several key dual nationals in the US setup, so I don't know what could really shift there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...