2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

Back to Utah. So are the uniforms going to be just black and white? No accent colors or stripes? Will they even be for sale? I'm curious about that aspect of it.

No one really knows for sure. The only concrete information we've been given is that the jerseys will have 'Utah' on them, and we don't even know what the style will be. Maybe it's the Jazz-ish all-caps wordmark we've seen them use so far, maybe they go with a diagonal script like the Rangers, maybe we get a University of Maine style wordmark. The mothership posted an educated guess on what they'll be today, but nothing is confirmed.

spacer.png

Whatever the final jerseys end up looking like, they'll definitely be available for purchase. The team isn't going to pass up the opportunity to sell temporary jerseys for $300 a pop.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

No one really knows for sure. The only concrete information we've been given is that the jerseys will have 'Utah' on them, and we don't even know what the style will be. Maybe it's the Jazz-ish all-caps wordmark we've seen them use so far, maybe they go with a diagonal script like the Rangers, maybe we get a University of Maine style wordmark. The mothership posted an educated guess on what they'll be today, but nothing is confirmed.

spacer.png

Whatever the final jerseys end up looking like, they'll definitely be available for purchase. The team isn't going to pass up the opportunity to sell temporary jerseys for $300 a pop.

Nice, but a little too close to Seattle. So you'll have the league's 2 newest teams looking very similar. No big deal I guess, but still. 

• Huh? 3

sig.png

Possible unpopular opinion: I think the Dallas Stars should consider switching to green helmets for their home uniforms. I want to believe it would be a good look for them.

• Like 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Nice, but a little too close to Seattle. So you'll have the league's 2 newest teams looking very similar. No big deal I guess, but still. 

If there is any truth to that image, it looks like they'll have different stripes and different colors. And a wordmark for the crest is pretty different. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Just put long sleeves on these and call it good! ICE JAZZ!

s-l1200.jpg

• LOL 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Again, it makes the league look foolish to write the Ryan Smith puff pieces about how he was seriously interested for a while now but then play dog-ate-my-homework with the identity. If he was serious about a team for over a year, he should have had something locked and loaded.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Again, it makes the league look foolish to write the Ryan Smith puff pieces about how he was seriously interested for a while now but then play dog-ate-my-homework with the identity. If he was serious about a team for over a year, he should have had something locked and loaded.

Maybe he does, and all these crappy names for the team is to throw people off base. I doubt it, but I can always hope.

7 hours ago, mjarvie said:

Maybe he does, and all these crappy names for the team is to throw people off base. I doubt it, but I can always hope.

It's possible, I guess...

Bill Foley initially began a 'fan input' charade for the Las Vegas NHL franchise,

but quietly quit that when poles/surveys etc., weren't supporting his 'Knights' desire.

I can't though, see a surprise ending with a name choice NOT on this pretty mediocre list.

19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The only concrete information we've been given is that the jerseys will have 'Utah' on them,

If that's the case and it's not temporary, it's already a bad start. But Winnipeg managed to design their uniforms before the season began so maybe it'll be ok.

8 hours ago, mjarvie said:

He has said in interviews that he does have a preferred choice, but he wants this to be up to the fans. Like I've said previously, the reaction to the Jazz rebrand seemed to spook him, so he's going with a fan-first approach with this team.

46 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

If that's the case and it's not temporary, it's already a bad start. But Winnipeg managed to design their uniforms before the season began so maybe it'll be ok.

It's been confirmed that this will be a PWHL situation with temporary uniforms for the first season. We'll likely have the team name in place for next season, and possibly the colours, but the logo & official uniforms won't be ready until 2025.

I thought it would come in minor-league baseball but I can see this team getting the "THE FIRST LOGO EVER DESIGNED WITH AI" copy. Ryan Smith seems like he'd be down for something that sounds cutting-edge but upon further inspection isn't.

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That's what the Phoenix Suns did with their G League team.  Had fans submit names only to pick the Suns and be blasted for it. 🙄

This is what the Canucks farm team did. Polled season ticket holders on the name and just went with Canucks for the AHL team

Either take fan feedback genuinely, or just don't do it. Just phony PR nonsense 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That's what the Phoenix Suns did with their G League team.  Had fans submit names only to pick the Suns and be blasted for it. 🙄

The Magic did the same thing. Name-the-team contest, winner gets free season tickets... and then pick Lakeland Magic. They just wanted to have people talking about the team.

``After careful, thoughtful consideration, and to create synergy and extend the Orlando Magic brand, we made the determination to call our team the Lakeland Magic,’’ said Wilkes, who took over her current position in January. ``We appreciate all the entries and enthusiasm with our ``name the team contest,’’ and we received multiple entries for the name Magic - which we ended up concurring with and ultimately choosing.’’

Wow, multiple entries for Magic! If that's the best descriptor they could muster there really can't have been that many submitting it. But hey, at least they honored the free-season-ticket pledge to the first one who sent Magic in.

ExJworW.png

On 5/12/2024 at 12:04 PM, Foxxtrot44 said:

It seems like the voting has dried up on the poll - which I'm sure is similar of the official poll too. So having watched it a bit, here are some thoughts/observations.
-SEG may as well skip to  a final four for the next vote. Yeti, Outlaws, Mammoth, and Blizzard are getting more than 50% of the vote. I don't see where, for example, Hive will suddenly be a contender because Fury got dropped.

Quoting myself because I have no shame.
According to Smith in an interview today, the name contest has been whittled to a final four. Mammoth and Yeti are among those 4.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Can someone answer this, was Ryan Smith part of the Jazz re-branding that massively failed?

I guess the bright side of that is the team realized its mistake and tried to correct the course right away

2 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Can someone answer this, was Ryan Smith part of the Jazz re-branding that massively failed?

He most certainly was.

18 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

Quoting myself because I have no shame.
According to Smith in an interview today, the name contest has been whittled to a final four. Mammoth and Yeti are among those 4.

I really hope they aren't locked into those being singular names. Both would be 100x better with an 's' at the end.

16 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I guess the bright side of that is the team realized its mistake and tried to correct the course right away

Yes, he determined that the Jazz had an identity crisis, and instead of leaning into one of the previously popular colour schemes he decided that the best course of action was to come up with another brand new palate. Of course this backfired almost immediately, so they had to pivot back to purple with a couple of throwbacks.