2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

3 hours ago, LMU said:

The true issue with the Webbed-D is that it was meant to be phase 2 of the rebrand since phase 1 was the wordmark-as-logo set.  Of course the Ducks won the Cup in phase 1 so phase 2 didn't have the nostalgia to the Cup win and became an Edge monstrosity with constant throwbacks hinting at the Disney era and showing how inferior it was.

This is the first I've heard of the Ducks intending on some phased rollout. I thought they started using the webbed D more because they realized very quickly that in an era of favicons and other small-scale renderings, the full wordmark logo was illegible and looked silly next to the other team logos. For historical context, the Ducks were the last team to win the Cup before the iPhone. 

From there, they just seemed to do the Alternate Shuffle like so many teams before them.

EDIT: the Ducks, along with the Buffaslugs, were also the last team to redesign before Edgeification, but unlike the Buffaslugs who seemed to design their sweater with the Edge template in mind (which raises the question: why jump the gun a year? better yet, why design it at all? it sucked), the Ducks' big swooshes on the hemlines didn't transfer over correctly and the hybrid wordmark-crest didn't fit right, so they had to tilt and shrink it to make it fit, thus making the whole thing a relic by year 2. Wow, what a mess, sure is a good thing they had Chris Pronger around to elbow everybody in the head or else we'd all think a lot less of that operation.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Am I the only person who really likes "Outlaws"?  It sounds generic; but if you think about it, basically no one else uses it.  It's better than most names without an S on the end, anyway.

I know "Yeti" will almost certainly win, but I really don't care for it.  It sounds like it's trying way too hard to be alliterative without actually being alliterative, and the result is a weird set of syllables.

• Like 3

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

41 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Am I the only person who really likes "Outlaws"?  It sounds generic; but if you think about it, basically no one else uses it.  It's better than most names without an S on the end, anyway.

Outlaws and Swarm were the two I preferred of the original list, I even like Venom better than Yeti, Mammoth, Blizzard and HC

• Like 1

Dumb idea I just had: the ex-Coyotes should become the Utah Reggae 🤣  Why not, makes just as much sense as whatever they're gonna trot out anyway.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

5 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

This is the first I've heard of the Ducks intending on some phased rollout. I thought they started using the webbed D more because they realized very quickly that in an era of favicons and other small-scale renderings, the full wordmark logo was illegible and looked silly next to the other team logos. For historical context, the Ducks were the last team to win the Cup before the iPhone. 

As I understand it, the D was always meant to be the main logo but they chose the wordmark to literally spell out and establish the removal of "Mighty" before later switching to the D. The Samuelis were even made aware of how badly the wordmark would scale against other team logos but went with it anyway - probably influenced by the black and purple Anaheim script jersey as it was popular at the time.

'Course it didn't stop Snoop Dogg calling them the Mighty Ducks on that one FSN interview.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Utah's team will wear jerseys in their first season with "UTAH" scrawled across the front to represent the club's roots within the state and dedication to its new fan base.

Wow, I was way off!  I thought jerseys were to differentiate teams; little did I know!

The whole 'we can't get a proper design done in time for first season' makes sense to my ignorant brain, but is there a chance it also makes them more money?  Fans buy generic jersey year 1 and then actual jersey year 2

22 hours ago, DJT said:

Are we sure that’s a trademark done by the team or done by a random person hoping to get money? Tough to tell with trademarks. 

I would prefer Yetis to Yeti I think. But I voted for Outlaws. 

If UYTE isn't SEG, then whoever is behind it managed to successfully guess most of the names that would later end up on the official poll. So either a) SEG really liked those trademark trolls, b) UYTE has inside info on the name choices and squatted, or c) UYTE is SEG.

It's C.

• Like 2

spacer.png

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

Wow, I was way off!  I thought jerseys were to differentiate teams; little did I know!

The whole 'we can't get a proper design done in time for first season' makes sense to my ignorant brain, but is there a chance it also makes them more money?  Fans buy generic jersey year 1 and then actual jersey year 2

Maybe they could be the 'Utah Still Undecideds' for year 2 and really milk it!

2 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

If UYTE isn't SEG, then whoever is behind it managed to successfully guess most of the names that would later end up on the official poll. So either a) SEG really liked those trademark trolls, b) UYTE has inside info on the name choices and squatted, or c) UYTE is SEG.

It's C.

Ok that’s good to know. 

Maybe if Yeti(s) wins they will do another survey asking if it should be plural or not haha. 

3 hours ago, Foxxtrot44 said:

It's C.

Which is confirmed based on all placeholder Utah HC logos also being registered by UYTE.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Which is confirmed based on all placeholder Utah HC logos also being registered by UYTE.

I just pulled up and I don’t see an actual trademark for Utah Yeti. It’s only Utah Yetis. 

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I think this was known, but now its confirmed.

A very forgettable alternate considering they wore it for 6 seasons. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DJT said:

Maybe if Yeti(s) wins they will do another survey asking if it should be plural or not haha. 

Gotta milk out all that free publicity for Qualtrics. 

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, LMU said:

Which happens to confirm that Yetis will be the chosen name because UYTE has to stand for Utah Yetis Trademarking Enterprise, and it is SEG's secret company they made just to trademark things for the Yetis.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjxTRuWChs_7f-P3caBPg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I think this was known, but now its confirmed.

yeah, nobody cared about this thing; at least the black alts were actually trying something different. having an alt that looks like what you'd get from asking someone to visualize an Isles version of the Devils' unis in their mind never made sense.

can we try an orange alt again now? seventeen years is long enough, right...?

53Ocz8U.png

spacer.png

Not completely sold yet on Yeti & Mammoth...

Both have that 'Colorado' feel to them IMO, probably because the original Avs' mascot (Howler) WAS a Yeti, and Colorado's NLL team (also owned by Kroenke) is called the Mammoth...Maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm saying nyeti to both H.C. and Venom.

Outlaws?...A wild west theme would be unique, but the logo?

Anything to do with guns is out, and a 'masked cowboy' seems overused.

And...Is a Blizzard more powerful than an Avalanche?

I'm OK with using the H.C. placeholder for the start...It seemed to work well for the PWHL.

Should be enough "new team" excitement to carry the fan base for a while.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1