2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

Did they switch the duck's eye from orange to gold on the home jersey? Did they think that little speck of orange put it over the top? That inconsistency is going to drive me nuts. 

Also it looks like they might be using a modern number font with dropshadows. 

It's probably just the lighting making the eye look that way in the photo. As much as they had different triangles in the past, they're more likely keeping the crests identical to keep costs down. See also the webbed D on the now-old white jersey which had an extra black outline around the crest.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 hours ago, LMU said:

And the thing with the nostalgia is that it's pretty much nostalgia for the PR of the club and not the actual club.  The won the cup in Samueli 1.0 and the Giguere Super Saiyan run derailed by Concussed Kariya ditched the eggplant/jade sweaters  for the black/eggplant "Anaheim" alts.  All the yearning is really just for Disney products and not for the actual era in club history.

Interesting angle. The Disney Adultification of the NHL, I suppose.

Some of those era mashups the Ducks did for anniversary years were intriguing. Maybe jade, eggplant, and orange could have worked. But I'm not on board with Pylon Wing here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would have seriously preferred mapping the orange alt uniform to a white counterpart OR doing the inverse for the white reverse retro uniform. I fear like the new modernized logo is over-stylized compared to the timeless original. There's no need for glowing eyes or colorful angry eyebrows. I would have also liked some additional black on the home set to balance out the bright orange, but that's a personal preference.

But this is still such a massive upgrade so I can't complain that much.

• Applause 1

13 minutes ago, SavardToColton said:

Buried in this social media graphic following the big trade today, the Kings used the chevron logo. Of course it's probably the worst kept secret in the world at this point, but interesting. 

I am fairly certain they have never used that variant of chevy logo before. Outside of the obvious re-colouring, it does look slightly different than they used in the 90's, but for all I know, they just lost some of the detail in it while re-colouring it

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

These remind me a lot of the 2000's Calgary Flames.

This is not a bad thing.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

'Iconic' is a word that gets thrown around a lot on these boards but it definitely applies to the original duck mask logo...  Disney connection or not, there's a reason why that logo is so revered.  This new version feels like what the team should have just done in first place back in 2006...  Update the original logo with a more contemporary feel and new colors.  The more realistic hockey sticks, orange eye and thicker outlines go a long way towards making it feel more serious and respectable than the original. 

We've yet to see a clear picture of the full re-design but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they knocked it out of the park.

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

'Iconic' is a word that gets thrown around a lot on these boards but it definitely applies to the original duck mask logo...  Disney connection or not, there's a reason why that logo is so revered.

Yes. It was in a movie that all millennial kids had on home video. That is why. It's not because they were the team that had Teemu Selanne, no, no that one, the other one.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

The Admiral is apparently not familiar with the original The Mighty Ducks, the one people are most nostalgic for, in which the duck mask is absent because it didn't exist in 1992.

I'm largely indifferent to the film series and Disney in general, and probably wouldn't be here talking about this if either the NHL team  or the hockey playing superhero space ducks were wearing that District 5 jersey with the weird googly eyed duck. But to be fair - sure, the other two movies, and The Animated Series, and the likes of Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Steve Rucchin, Guy Hebert, and Jean-Sebastien Giguere may have played a part in the appeal and recognisability of the duck mask; but the logo is well-constructed and visually appealling, and also is easy to understand because there is something resembling a duck that tells you what the team's name is without needing to spell it out. The webbed D? They were so afraid of fans Not Getting It that they tacked on the rest of the name, and even now there are still people learning that it's supposed to be a duck foot. Or mistaking it for a wonky Starfleet emblem.

Are there better ways to illustrate a duck for this team? Eh, maybe. But the mask is finally back so I don't care. What they're doing now is no different to other teams that have brought back or updated their signature, iconic, fan favourite looks, just like the Kings are also about to do.

Speaking of them; interesting that the new Chevy is a bit bulkier. Mostly hoping they get rid of that weird Muppet eyes crown.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

the logo is well-constructed and visually appealling,

It didn't use the same colors across home and away and those hockey sticks were anything but "visually appealing"

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

What they're doing now is no different to other teams that have brought back or updated their signature, iconic, fan favourite looks, just like the Kings are also about to do.

It's quite different. The Flames and Oilers went back to what they won championships in, the Kings went back to what Wayne Gretzky wore, and the Coyotes went back to what they looked like before the dumbest bankruptcy of all time. The Ducks went wild with the paint-bucket tool and turned into traffic cones with attitude.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1