2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

The fact that it's a gambling ad makes the whole thing even more infuriating

I actively try to not out myself, as I used to work for EA Sports and now work on marketing with BCLC which is the BC version of the Play Alberta company. They are both government run organizations

BCLC didn't pursue this with the Canucks because they were worried of impending legislation from the federal government that would ban it in video games or real life.

I have no idea what the rules are now, but when I worked at FIFA we had pretty big issues with on jersey gambling/alcohol ads.  Many countries don't allow products that are marketed to kids to have any gambling ads in them. We can simply omit the the front jersey ads fairly easily, but the way league badges are programmed, we actually had to leave any gambling ads on them completely out of the game for all additions - as you see below the "SkyBet Championship" name is just fully omitted from FIFA/EA FC.

Why that's important? Those ad contracts 100% mention video games, as in the Twitch era, those games draw more impressions than their real life counterparts. While the NHL may be subject to each state/provincial law with regard to these ads, prohibiting advertising in video games may reduce the value of jersey space for gambling companies. 

As of the last time I checked, gambling ads still exist in on the front of jerseys in the UK/US/Canada version of EAFC (FKA FIFA). However, on the Canadian side, everyone is fairly certain that is going to change soon. Which again will ruin the ad value these patches bring.

TLDR, there will still be ads on jerseys, but I would doubt they will continue to be gambling ads

spacer.png

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

I actively try to not out myself, as I used to work for EA Sports and now work on marketing with BCLC which is the BC version of the Play Alberta company. They are both government run organizations

BCLC didn't pursue this with the Canucks because they were worried of impending legislation from the federal government that would ban it in video games or real life.

I have no idea what the rules are now, but when I worked at FIFA we had pretty big issues with on jersey gambling/alcohol ads.  Many countries don't allow products that are marketed to kids to have any gambling ads in them. We can simply omit the the front jersey ads fairly easily, but the way league badges are programmed, we actually had to leave any gambling ads on them completely out of the game for all additions - as you see below the "SkyBet Championship" name is just fully omitted from FIFA/EA FC.

Why that's important? Those ad contracts 100% mention video games, as in the Twitch era, those games draw more impressions than their real life counterparts. While the NHL may be subject to each state/provincial law with regard to these ads, prohibiting advertising in video games may reduce the value of jersey space for gambling companies. 

As of the last time I checked, gambling ads still exist in on the front of jerseys in the UK/US/Canada version of EAFC (FKA FIFA). However, on the Canadian side, everyone is fairly certain that is going to change soon. Which again will ruin the ad value these patches bring.

TLDR, there will still be ads on jerseys, but I would doubt they will continue to be gambling ads

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's also language specifc too.

I play EAFC in french, which follows French law and omits the sponsors for alcohol. 

But, if you play in English, they're there.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

14 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Alberta is on the verge of changing their laws to allow private gambling operators to become licensed in the province, similar to how it is in Ontario. I guess the government wants to get the Play Alberta brand as much facetime with hockey fans as possible before they're dealing with competition from the FanDuels & DraftKings of the world.

On 9/9/2024 at 10:08 AM, Foxxtrot44 said:

You make a solid argument.

acvsm83qeev41.jpg

I'll do you one better:

s-l1200.jpg

18 hours ago, Aardvark said:

skibidi rizz ong no cap

washington-capitals-tiktok-patch-sportsl

Okay, so...this is so problematic on sooo many levels. I ain't finna get all political up in here since this is the uniform thread (and because I ain't trying to be hemmed up by the 27 councillors of the Majestic XII—and because I aint trying to have the men in black chase me down), but for the Caps to do that, even amidst the feds'  burgeoning push to illegalize TikTok nationwide, is just some of the most ironic irony that's ever ironied.

(And that's before we even get to the ad-creep...)

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

18 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I have no idea what the rules are now, but when I worked at FIFA we had pretty big issues with on jersey gambling/alcohol ads. 

Still same thing. I'm not modding FIFA/EAFC for few years now, but from what I know people still making patches that removes ads restrictions. We also did that.

Btw if can I ask you. For what you was responsible when you worked on fifa/eafc? I'm asking, because not gonna lie we need to correct kits every edition since many of them were poorly recreated. I remember situation when EA kitsmaker left a  reference photo on texture on Man United gk in Fifa 14.

Nowadays is much better with kits.

4r2eer.png

Rangers white practice jerseys have these contrasting shoulders as well. Not a fan of this design- made me think they'd ripped. But it seems like it might be the new standard Fanatics design for practice jerseys

12 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Still same thing. I'm not modding FIFA/EAFC for few years now, but from what I know people still making patches that removes ads restrictions. We also did that.

Btw if can I ask you. For what you was responsible when you worked on fifa/eafc? I'm asking, because not gonna lie we need to correct kits every edition since many of them were poorly recreated. I remember situation when EA kitsmaker left a  reference photo on texture on Man United gk in Fifa 14.

Nowadays is much better with kits.

I was not on the team for FIFA 14, but  can talk to a mistake I did (kinda).  In the early editions of these games, they are just riddled with reality breaking glitches. Like a new hairstyle can do things like make a player's head fall off or something.

For about a month before release, it was my job to play through the story mode with different players with the sole purpose of using players who had unique haircuts or tattoos on around their neck to make sure it didn't impose itself onto this outfit for the cutscene. EG, we had issues with long hair going through the back of that collar. 

Well I completely forgot Petr Cech wears that rugby helmet thing...

spacer.png

• Love 1
  • LOL 9

On 8/25/2024 at 3:13 AM, Klondyke said:

At EA, we got all the RBK edge CADs about 7-8 months before they came out. None of them ever had that 2D logo. The only place i have ever seen it on actual merch was in really old Icethetics posts that showed some prototypes

If anyone know of any merch that used this variant of the 2D logo, I would love to see it

spacer.png

I remember seeing some Bic lighters sold at gas stations around Ottawa with that prototype centurion logo on it.

And nowadays Bic no longer makes Sens branded lighters. I believe we're the only Canadian team without its own branded Bic lighter. I'm not sure if we should be proud or ashamed of this as a fanbase.

thecatch.jpg

On 9/10/2024 at 12:28 AM, Klondyke said:

I used to work for EA Sports

Don't suppose you have any insight on why they still won't release NHL games on Nintendo Switch?

On 9/11/2024 at 7:42 AM, Klondyke said:

Well I completely forgot Petr Cech wears that rugby helmet thing...

Fun fact: he's now a hockey goalie! He had a brief stint with my local team the Chelmsford Chieftains in 2022/23 but now plays for the Belfast Giants.

W133fxD.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

28 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

I'll say something I know will be controversial...

I don't mind these. They aren't huge, they are relatively neutral colored and don't disrupt the uniform from doing what it is intended to do.

Ads become an issue with me when they are so adversely out of the color scheme of the team, too large, or crowd the uniform in the case of the Capitals who do not have the real estate for the anniversary patch, ad, and captain patch.

Like it or not, jersey ads are not going anywhere so complaining after every single one will not do anything. If they are small, take the win when you can get it.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 5
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Don't suppose you have any insight on why they still won't release NHL games on Nintendo Switch?

I believe the only EA Sports game released on the Switch was EA FC. I know that game is the same PS3/XBOX 360 era game, with new jerseys and roster updates. So EAFC 24 for Switch is essentially FIFA 13.  FIFA/EA FC has such a huge customer base that many kids in lower income countries who can only afford a Switch Lite will still buy the game and not really complain that its the same.  We did not have any dev kits for Nintendo at all for NHL.

I don't have a definitive answer, but I would guess EA does not find it profitable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

I'll say something I know will be controversial...

I don't mind these. They aren't huge, they are relatively neutral colored and don't disrupt the uniform from doing what it is intended to do.

Ads become an issue with me when they are so adversely out of the color scheme of the team, too large, or crowd the uniform in the case of the Capitals who do not have the real estate for the anniversary patch, ad, and captain patch.

Like it or not, jersey ads are not going anywhere so complaining after every single one will not do anything. If they are small, take the win when you can get it.

The colour blue shouldn't be anywhere close to a Sens uniform.

Complaining about ads won't do anything, but that doesn't mean we need to try and justify the choice every time a team announces one. A smaller ad isn't a win. It's like being happy about your team losing 3-2 instead of being blown out 7-0.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2