2024 NFL Changes

13 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Yes, and they tied in with the Red numbers.  

No Red numbers, no Red socks.

Too unbalanced.

I could be on board with a red facemask and red socks for the newest set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaydre1019 said:

I feel like I'm going crazy, but I hate red facemasks on dark helmets. It gives generic high school vibes.

I agree. I'd like to see it with a white facemask.

• Dislike 3

3 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

I feel like it may be some sort of Mandela effect, but I swear I've seen pics on here where the Steelers put the Nike logo inside their sleeve striping rather than above it when they became a Nike team in the late 90s. 

It was when Starter made the uniforms in the early 90's and apparently it was only on one sleeve? Most game pictures it's hard to see but it's definitely only on one sleeve, as if it's a quirk to tie in with the helmet or something.

1993-pittsburgh-steelers-number-6-game-i

• Like 9

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Seriously... why do pretty much all the new NFL uniforms not have TV numbers? Cardinals, Patriots, Rams, Commanders, Chargers (they have helmet numbers), now Texans. I hate it.

1.  Much less space on modern football jerseys.

2.  We’re all watching on 65” HDTVs.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

1.  Much less space on modern football jerseys.

2.  We’re all watching on 65” HDTVs.

Not from the stands we aren't, nor from the broadcast booth.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

14 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

The broadcast booth is watching the game on a screen simultaneously. They do not need TV numbers

And as a college football fan, I have never had trouble identifying players from the stands without TV numbers

• Like 7

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

15 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

The broadcast booth is watching the game on a screen simultaneously. They do not need TV numbers

And as a college football fan, I have never had trouble identifying players from the stands without TV numbers

They're watching the game, often with binoculars. Their spotter is certainly watching it that way, and it's his job to provide the number of the tackler, among other things. Whether or not the feed is in real time is also subject to the various setups.

From up in Row 53, I frequently use the tv numbers. To each his own.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

They're watching the game, often with binoculars. Their spotter is certainly watching it that way, and it's his job to provide the number of the tackler, among other things. Whether or not the feed is in real time is also subject to the various setups.

From up in Row 53, I frequently use the tv numbers. To each his own.

Maybe all that exposure to the Packers has just made you blind. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

8 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

I feel like I'm going crazy, but I hate red facemasks on dark helmets. It gives generic high school vibes.

It always looks worse than a solid dark colored helmet to me.

What examples have we ever even had? 1996-2008 49ers, or does metallic gold even count as dark? Cardinals’ black alt maybe?

Custom number fonts, especially of late, are an excellent encapsulation of "just because we can doesn't mean we should".

Since it used to be that suppliers (at least to a degree) dictated what number styles were available, there was more uniformity, at least in concept, among number sets. And differences in generally similar styles led to interesting (but tame) quirks and differences (like the "Champion" numbers essentially being "block" but with the curved 7, etc.). Because of certain teams sticking with styles over time, even after changing suppliers, we ended up with some teams with contextually unique numbers. (Two examples that stick out there are the Bears, and to a lesser degree, the Red Sox.) But somewhere around the mid-to-late 90s (I suppose starting with the Ravens, Eagles, and then Broncos), that changed. Those number sets were, at least, somewhat coherent in their designs though. Now, with numbers like the Texans, Dolphins, Seahawks, Titans, etc., it just seems like numbers are designed first and foremost to not look like other numbers, and then Nike et al back into some brand-speak, brand-related explanation for why they look like they do.

(That's not to say all modern numbers that are currently unique are like this. Cleveland's an example that seems a little more coherent and intentional. Though even there, the half-serif on the 7 is questionable.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That number font is a disaster.

I'm honestly sitting here just waiting (like I'm watching a golf ball hang on the edge of the cup) for that 3 to fall over.  It's so hideous.  

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

They're called "TV numbers", not "Section 53 numbers".  They help when watching the broadcast (before all the different camera angles and HD) and they helped identify players in still photographs like in newspapers, SI, etc.  But now that most media is moving videos or gifs, they're just to that important.  

If anything, putting numbers on the helmet bumpers would solve a lot of "problems" that may or may not actually exist.

Or F it - we have the technology to have a hologram of the number floating above the player's head so you can easily tell who's running down he field, or which fat F on the line just got pancaked.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They're called "TV numbers", not "Section 53 numbers".  They help when watching the broadcast (before all the different camera angles and HD) and they helped identify players in still photographs like in newspapers, SI, etc.  But now that most media is moving videos or gifs, they're just to that important.  

If anything, putting numbers on the helmet bumpers would solve a lot of "problems" that may or may not actually exist.

Or F it - we have the technology to have a hologram of the number floating above the player's head so you can easily tell who's running down he field, or which fat F on the line just got pancaked.

Sorry (not sorry) I've upset the Vet.

Let me try to spell this out -- I use TV numbers when I watch football. Any time (almost) that someone claims that nobody uses them, or that nobody sees them in the stands, I'll point out that they are, in fact, used and seen.

Are they "just to that important" [sic]? Maybe. Your facetious remark about the hologram reminds me of John Madden earnestly reminding everyone that the players can't see that first down line when it debuted. You know that, and you know that we wouldn't see it in the stands.

• Yawn 1

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

70,000 watching in a stadium,  17 million watching from home.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Custom number fonts, especially of late, are an excellent encapsulation of "just because we can doesn't mean we should".

Since it used to be that suppliers (at least to a degree) dictated what number styles were available, there was more uniformity, at least in concept, among number sets. And differences in generally similar styles led to interesting (but tame) quirks and differences (like the "Champion" numbers essentially being "block" but with the curved 7, etc.). Because of certain teams sticking with styles over time, even after changing suppliers, we ended up with some teams with contextually unique numbers. (Two examples that stick out there are the Bears, and to a lesser degree, the Red Sox.) But somewhere around the mid-to-late 90s (I suppose starting with the Ravens, Eagles, and then Broncos), that changed. Those number sets were, at least, somewhat coherent in their designs though. Now, with numbers like the Texans, Dolphins, Seahawks, Titans, etc., it just seems like numbers are designed first and foremost to not look like other numbers, and then Nike et al back into some brand-speak, brand-related explanation for why they look like they do.

(That's not to say all modern numbers that are currently unique are like this. Cleveland's an example that seems a little more coherent and intentional. Though even there, the half-serif on the 7 is questionable.)

I have a theory that custom number fonts are one way that the manufacturers tried  to deter bootleg jersey sales.  

Easy to get China jersey online for $25 with accurate numbers when it’s full block; harder when those bootleggers don’t have a custom number font file to copy.