2024 NFL Changes

9 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

The Peter Man is a zero. Zach Wilson is a zero

How Nathan Peterman continues to get paid by NFL teams, I just don’t know. 

7 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

And now we wait for a QB on the Bills, Browns, or Eagles to wear 0.

Tecmo Super Bowl reference?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

tpc_original_014.png tpc_original_015.png

Nice work... except didn't the Browns have Bernie?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

tpc_original_014.png tpc_original_015.png

Nice work... except didn't the Browns have Bernie?

Bernie was “QB BROWNS” in Tecmo Super Bowl. 

That was still an incredible  game for its time though. Unlike the earlier Tecmo Bowl, it had all (at the time) 28 teams, with official names and helmet logos. It also had real players and more or less accurate rosters, plus a season mode. And thanks to cleverly designed alternate uniforms, you could always tell the teams apart. Plus it was 11 on 11, and you could sub and shuffle the guys who handled the ball on offense. It was also nicely fast-paced. 

Now let’s look at the NES competition. Tecmo Bowl had 12 teams, real players, no team names, no subs, and fewer players on each side than in real life. NES Play Action Football had eight teams with real players, had subs, was eleven on eleven, and even had a tournament mode…but gameplay was painfully slow, there were no team names, and uniforms were pretty generic. NFL Football had all the teams and their names and helmets, but lacked real players and any non-single-game mode. (Haven’t been able to tell whether or not it had the full eleven to a side.) Plus TSB could simulate games!

Now keep in mind that TSB came out in 1991. The first of the Front Page Sports: Football series for computer (a much more powerful medium than an NES!) wouldn’t come out till the next year…and wouldn’t have real player names until 1993…and wouldn’t have real logos until 1994. Even Madden wouldn’t feature actual player names till what…1993? 

TSB was phenomenal. It was a blast to play and, as a simulator, wasn’t even that far behind 16-bit games (and was ahead in some respects). I wish innovative pro football games hadn’t become a thing of the past with EA’s monopoly on the NFL license. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Draft hat leak (No Jets, Titans, Seahawks, Patriots, Buccaneers, Cowboys, Commanders pics yet. Lions and Broncos shown with current logos). Looks like three retail

versions - black, dark gray, team color. All hats have two offset drop shadows behind the primary logo.

Honestly, I'm not mad at it.  They've done much worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Now keep in mind that TSB came out in 1991. The first of the Front Page Sports: Football series for computer (a much more powerful medium than an NES!) wouldn’t come out till the next year…and wouldn’t have real player names until 1993…and wouldn’t have real logos until 1994. Even Madden wouldn’t feature actual player names till what…1993? 

IIRC 1994 actually (Madden 95). 

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

55 minutes ago, Discrim said:

IIRC 1994 actually (Madden 95). 

I had Madden 95 for Game Gear. Never quite got through a season - it turned off when the car turned off. Still fun memories. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 8:09 AM, BBTV said:

tpc_original_014.png 

Could be wrong, but I wanna say I head Cunningham opted out of the game because his in-game name would've just read 'CUNNING' and he wasn't for that

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

Could be wrong, but I wanna say I head Cunningham opted out of the game because his in-game name would've just read 'CUNNING' and he wasn't for that

I think it was more to do with him and some other QBs leaving the NFLPA and signing some deal with NFL Properties that gave them personal control over their NIL, and TSB probably wasn't paying enough for some of them.  I vaguely remember the QB Club seceding from the PA, and it causing some tension between the two camps.

EDIT: yeah a quick Google search confirms that at least most of my old-ass memory is right... or close enough.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there a new template this year other than the silly "V" one that most teams used last year?  I'm noticing that some 2024-specific replicas, even the $$350 style, are on a template that doesn't have that "feature".

(this is not the top-model one, as Fanatics took that one down overnight, but the cut was more/less the same - definitely not the "vapor hyper super ultra mega fuse" or whatever dumb-ass name they call their dumb-ass crap.)

mens-nike-saquon-barkley-midnight-green-

EDIT: something else I just thought of - since Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox are technically still on the roster since their retirements aren't technically effective yet, if you order their jersey, do you get the one with the new wordmark that they'll have never worn and never will, or one that's last-year's stock?  Ones with the old wordmark aren't on sale, which is what I would have expected, but that just be because Fanatics doesn't even realize that anything changed.

46 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is there a new template this year other than the silly "V" one that most teams used last year?  I'm noticing that some 2024-specific replicas, even the $$350 style, are on a template that doesn't have that "feature".

(this is not the top-model one, as Fanatics took that one down overnight, but the cut was more/less the same - definitely not the "vapor hyper super ultra mega fuse" or whatever dumb-ass name they call their dumb-ass crap.)

mens-nike-saquon-barkley-midnight-green-

EDIT: something else I just thought of - since Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox are technically still on the roster since their retirements aren't technically effective yet, if you order their jersey, do you get the one with the new wordmark that they'll have never worn and never will, or one that's last-year's stock?  Ones with the old wordmark aren't on sale, which is what I would have expected, but that just be because Fanatics doesn't even realize that anything changed.

Don't think I realized just how bad that new word mark was until seeing it on the jersey. What a downgrade!

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I think it was more to do with him and some other QBs leaving the NFLPA and signing some deal with NFL Properties that gave them personal control over their NIL, and TSB probably wasn't paying enough for some of them.  I vaguely remember the QB Club seceding from the PA, and it causing some tension between the two camps.

EDIT: yeah a quick Google search confirms that at least most of my old-ass memory is right... or close enough.

Googled this also -- It was Eric Dickerson who opted out of TSB, partly because of the truncated name. I knew that story had applied to someone. Just assumed Cunningham because of his lengthy name

6uXNWAo.png

I got really worried when I saw the Lions one on its own, and it had a black primary logo. I'm a little less worried now that I see every team has a graphite version.

(I'm still terrified)

Edit: Dang it. The Lions have both a graphite AND a black hat, although the black hat at least has a blue logo. But I've got the feeling a black alt uniform is on the way 😭

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Googled this also -- It was Eric Dickerson who opted out of TSB, partly because of the truncated name. I knew that story had applied to someone. Just assumed Cunningham because of his lengthy name

That makes sense. “Cunning” is a pretty positive description, but I could see someone not wanting to be called “Dickers”.