2024 NFL Changes

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Oh, I agree, but that design is associated in many minds with the old name and logo. 

It was only the name, not the logo or uniform/helmet designs, that were offensive. Otherwise they wouldn't have used the stripped down versions for their 2-year tenure as WFT. I've actually never heard anyone, other than you, refer to the uniform design as offensive.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

45 minutes ago, McCall said:

It was only the name, not the logo or uniform/helmet designs, that were offensive. Otherwise they wouldn't have used the stripped down versions for their 2-year tenure as WFT. I've actually never heard anyone, other than you, refer to the uniform design as offensive.

I never referred to it as offensive. I said some overly sensitive people might gripe about it. I personally would love for them to use that design. 

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I never referred to it as offensive. I said some overly sensitive people might gripe about it. I personally would love for them to use that design. 

I'd venture to guess about 99% of the people who found the name offensive couldn't even tell you what the uniform design looked like. And the other 1% could probably distinguish between an offensive name and a basic uniform design.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I suspect t that would offend some people. 

17 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

A guy on Twitter/X merged the home jerseys of WFT & Commanders

GNKdCxgXgAAwNQw?format=png&name=small

As long as the jerseys don't have the old nickname or logo on it, I don't see anyone getting too worked up over a design like that. In fact, most people would likely prefer this over any other design the team wore, other than that 70th anniversary uniform. 

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

For the record.

Washington operated as The Football Team for two whole seasons using the 80's uniforms and nobody had a problem with it. None of the folks, myself included, who wanted the old moniker dropped had beef with the uniforms themselves.

The Commanders got new uniforms because the team, inventing a new nickname, wanted new uniforms to go with the rebrand.

So there's no straw manning the uniforms as potentially offending anyone. 

Personally, I would've loved it for Washington to stay the Washington Football Team and roll with the numbers on the helmets. 

gettyimages-1363677670-594x594-1.jpg

• Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 3

22 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For the record.

Washington operated as The Football Team for two whole seasons using the 80's uniforms and nobody had a problem with it. None of the folks, myself included, who wanted the old moniker dropped had beef with the uniforms themselves.

The Commanders got new uniforms because the team, inventing a new nickname, wanted new uniforms to go with the rebrand.

Personally, I would've loved it for Washington to stay the Washington Football Team and roll with the numbers on the helmets. 

This is basically where I am, too. I do understand the argument that, without another definitive mascot/name, calling them the Washington Football Team and keeping a look that they used for so many years under the offensive moniker could be perceived as a constant reminder that they used to have another name and the lack of a conventional mascot/name would equate a wink and nod to the previous name. ("Hey, we're just called 'Football Team' now because we can't use our real name. But you guys remember it, right??")

I don't agree that that's what would happen, but I can see the logic to the argument. And of course, regardless of what the team is called, you'll have old heads who use the old name out of habit without any necessary intent to cause offense and people who like to use the term "snowflake" who will intentionally use the old name, but I think they're well in the minority.

Otherwise, yes: just keep using the old uniforms, use the new helmet (with the gloss/car paint/deep finish that they used in the 2000s), and perhaps include a logo-less throwback to the dark burgundy/old gold/khaki pants era. Given this is a team with a significant history and decent pedigree (on the whole, anyway), they should retain a look familiar to the franchise. If they want to go in a new direction, do so wholesale: Buy the DC Defenders identity from the UFL and rebrand as them, or go completely in another direction without either burgundy or gold.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For the record.

Add back the helmet striping, and there would be no need to ever change the uniform design ever again. Just the logos and whatever it says depending on the nickname at the time.

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For the record.

This isn’t European soccer.  Keep the colors and uniform scheme, change the nickname to something better than Commanders.  Done.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

6 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

This is basically where I am, too. I do understand the argument that, without another definitive mascot/name, calling them the Washington Football Team and keeping a look that they used for so many years under the offensive moniker could be perceived as a constant reminder that they used to have another name and the lack of a conventional mascot/name would equate a wink and nod to the previous name. ("Hey, we're just called 'Football Team' now because we can't use our real name. But you guys remember it, right??")

I don't agree that that's what would happen, but I can see the logic to the argument. And of course, regardless of what the team is called, you'll have old heads who use the old name out of habit without any necessary intent to cause offense and people who like to use the term "snowflake" who will intentionally use the old name, but I think they're well in the minority.

Otherwise, yes: just keep using the old uniforms, use the new helmet (with the gloss/car paint/deep finish that they used in the 2000s), and perhaps include a logo-less throwback to the dark burgundy/old gold/khaki pants era. Given this is a team with a significant history and decent pedigree (on the whole, anyway), they should retain a look familiar to the franchise. If they want to go in a new direction, do so wholesale: Buy the DC Defenders identity from the UFL and rebrand as them, or go completely in another direction without either burgundy or gold.

But those nimrods keep calling them by the slur even as Commanders. There's that one jamoke who's been trotting out the same Tamenend argument for a decade.

You can't focus on the idiots, who are always going to be made anyway.

I actually find the idea of the negative space of the moniker to be a good thing. Like scar tissue. "We had a crummy name, it was wrong, we fixed it, and we aren't going to shrink from that by covering with something else."

• Like 4
  • Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 1

Commanders is such and awful name. You just can't replace the colonized with a the colonizer's enforcers. So tone deaf. If you have to honor military (which seems like we have to in today's NFL, I'm still devoted to Redtails. No need to go overboard with the fighter pilot motif. Keep the feather on circle with either an R or a profile of a pilot. I know a lot of folks think that it'd bring up memories of a very offensive name/logo/history, but I think it actually reclaims it and over time replaces the memory.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Conspiracy theory time-

The person who decided on the name “Commanders” was none other than Ron Rivera because of his family’s military background. No one else had input on the name and it wasn’t some bs about honoring the nation’s capital or whatever was said. Hell, he’s definitely the one who designed the all black uniform too.

• LOL 2

3 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Conspiracy theory time-

The person who decided on the name “Commanders” was none other than Ron Rivera because of his family’s military background. No one else had input on the name and it wasn’t some bs about honoring the nation’s capital or whatever was said. Hell, he’s definitely the one who designed the all black uniform too.

I believe the "Commanders" nickname part but as far as the uniform, I'm not unconvinced Snyder himself did it partially out of spite.

"Oh you want me to change the name? Well here's the uniforms that I want."

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1

19 minutes ago, Froob said:

Apologizes if this has been discussed but is there a new logo coming for the Pats?

Ugh. The reverse is much worse than the one posted on the mothership
new-england-patriots-new-secondary-logo-2024-1000x563.jpg

I could actually get behind this (just the NE mark) on a white helmet fauxback

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1

3 minutes ago, Krona said:

Ugh. The reverse is much worse than the one posted on the mothership
new-england-patriots-new-secondary-logo-2024-1000x563.jpg

I could actually get behind this (just the NE mark) on a white helmet fauxback

Just wear the silver pants. No need for any alts aside the reds.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Froob said:

Just wear the silver pants. No need for any alts aside the reds.

Agreed, no need, but you know it's a matter of time. Just saying I like it and it breathes from life into a stale, on the bleeding edge of dated logo.