2024 NFL Changes

18 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

You really just gotta stand back in awe at how in 3 seasons, the uniform rules went from-

“the color has to be present on one of the primary uniforms to be considered for an alternate uniform”

straight to-

“f*** it, add any color you want.”

But is it really that? It has to be present to serve as a main color, thus the black swoosh on the Colts uniform so that they could have a black uniform. The Jets added black trim for the same reason.

The Texans (or any team) are free to add any trim color that they want to add at any point -- you just can't base an alt uniform on a color that isn't already there. This might be where they're headed. They've added Charger Blue (dammit I'm calling it that now, much like I refer to Patriot grey and not wolf gray) as a tertiary color - so they could unveil an alt in that color down the road.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

Well it was only a matter of time before PFT chimed in:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/texans-reached-compromise-with-nfl-titans-over-use-of-oilers-style-blue

Last year, the NFL forced the University of Houston to ditch alternate uniforms that included Houston Oilers-style Columbia Blue. This year, the NFL and the Tennessee Titans gave the Houston Texans permission to use the color in an alternate uniform.

During a Tuesday appearance on SportsRadio 610 in Houston, Texans ownership explains that the two teams and the NFL worked out a compromise that returns Columbia Blue to the Houston NFL team’s color scheme.

“We worked with the NFL, and there was some push and shove and we came to where we . . . could get to with the NFL, giving us a compromise, and sort of a certain percentage in the uniform,” Cal McNair said. “And I think our fans would like more. And we’re probably in that same boat, but we’re working with the powers-that-be with the league and all that stuff to get to where we could get.”

“I think there was some talk,” Hannah McNair added, “I think even publicly we discussed that we were going to be able to use a different color than Columbia Blue, and so when that was released and we got approval to do that, that’s when we started getting pushback. . . . And then it got to a point where they just said, ‘No, you can’t,’ and then we compromised.

The situation traces to the fact that, when the Oilers left Houston, Houston made no effort to retain the names or the logos or the colors (unlike Cleveland). So the Oilers took their logos and colors and ditched them for the Titans and now use the Oilers as a throwback, even though it makes zero geographic sense to think of the Oilers as a Tennessee property.

Frankly, Houston should own the Oilers name and logo. It’s good that a compromise was done. It would be better if the Texans had the Oilers option.

It would be best if Nike would quit cajoling teams into having umpteen uniforms. The ditching of the one-helmet rule has unlocked a new universe of combinations which will have multiple NFL teams looking like Oregon — all while having more jerseys and helmets to sell, sell, sell.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

7 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/texans-reached-compromise-with-nfl-titans-over-use-of-oilers-style-blue

Last year, the NFL forced the University of Houston to ditch alternate uniforms that included Houston Oilers-style Columbia Blue. This year, the NFL and the Tennessee Titans gave the Houston Texans permission to use the color in an alternate uniform.

During a Tuesday appearance on SportsRadio 610 in Houston, Texans ownership explains that the two teams and the NFL worked out a compromise that returns Columbia Blue to the Houston NFL team’s color scheme.

“We worked with the NFL, and there was some push and shove and we came to where we . . . could get to with the NFL, giving us a compromise, and sort of a certain percentage in the uniform,” Cal McNair said. “And I think our fans would like more. And we’re probably in that same boat, but we’re working with the powers-that-be with the league and all that stuff to get to where we could get.”

“I think there was some talk,” Hannah McNair added, “I think even publicly we discussed that we were going to be able to use a different color than Columbia Blue, and so when that was released and we got approval to do that, that’s when we started getting pushback. . . . And then it got to a point where they just said, ‘No, you can’t,’ and then we compromised.

The situation traces to the fact that, when the Oilers left Houston, Houston made no effort to retain the names or the logos or the colors (unlike Cleveland). So the Oilers took their logos and colors and ditched them for the Titans and now use the Oilers as a throwback, even though it makes zero geographic sense to think of the Oilers as a Tennessee property.

Frankly, Houston should own the Oilers name and logo. It’s good that a compromise was done. It would be better if the Texans had the Oilers option.

It would be best if Nike would quit cajoling teams into having umpteen uniforms. The ditching of the one-helmet rule has unlocked a new universe of combinations which will have multiple NFL teams looking like Oregon — all while having more jerseys and helmets to sell, sell, sell.

Good find. I had forgotten about the Cougars trying to use that color. It's just a shame that the Texans couldn't make better use of the color. I pointed out in another post where to find the new blue on their uniforms, but it's invisible when the jersey is worn. So it's almost like the Texans were told they couldn't use it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

Ah. So they’re dumb, bitter, and selfish and don’t understand how any of this works.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, VikWings said:

Honestly if they just throw out the blue pants, orange socks and white helmets it would go a long way.

I can live with the numerous options having been forced to look at these two bland uniforms for most of my life:

Bet365%20Colorado%20bonus%20code%20TSNCO

56a8e9a3c08a806f008bcd28?width=986&forma

That is one positive of the new set is that we will get more variety and they hopefully won't get as stale over time.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 6
  • Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

That brown facemask was horrible and I'm happy we have the white facemasks back. Especially since the team looks closer to the days we had Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar. 

Now the Browns just need to find a way to be as much fun to root for as the Kosar and Sipe teams were.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

BB52Big.jpg

19 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

I can live with the numerous options having been forced to look at these two bland uniforms for most of my life:

That is one positive of the new set is that we will get more variety and they hopefully won't get as stale over time.

The only issues I had with that set were the dumb pants stripes and the side panels. The helmet stripe was kinda silly, but it wasn't awful. Lose the side panels, fix the pants stripes, and that's a really nice uniform. I always liked the colors. 

• Like 8

BB52Big.jpg

27 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The only issues I had with that set were the dumb pants stripes and the side panels. The helmet stripe was kinda silly, but it wasn't awful. Lose the side panels, fix the pants stripes, and that's a really nice uniform. I always liked the colors. 

If they did something with NW stripes, it would’ve at least been somewhat compatible with the helmet stripe.

1 hour ago, SportsFan12 said:

In a vacuum, these older jerseys are much less bland than the new ones. The new ones are much more boring.

Thoughts on the recent reveals:

Jets: The switch full-time to the "Sack Exchange" look is fine, I just wish they had used the basis as the foundation and took the time to modernize it a bit. There's a way to fuse modern and traditional, and they shied away from it, so that left me feeling a bit disappointed with it. I have no words for the black alternate, because it's unnecessary.

Lions: These are the best, so far, but would rank higher if in wasn't for the incongruency. The standard home set is perfect. All they had to do was add the same striping to the blue and white pants. Maybe add some stripes to the socks, and the Lions are tops of the league in uniform aesthetic. No comment on the alternate, I don't care for it.

Broncos: Very underwhelming to say the least. Just at a glance, their new look has a void that I can't quite find the word for. I was really holding out hope that they'd shift from navy blue and back to the royal blue, but it didn't come to be. I just don't have a lot of words for something that is lacking, creatively. At least the numerals have outlines, and the pants have stripes. Not a fan of the design on the helmet. What were they doing in the design process?????

Texans: I do like that the home and road sets didn't stray too far from the previous set, but I don't like that the home jersey doesn't mirror the road jersey, that should have been a no-brainer. Road jerseys should have retained the red numerals outlined in navy, to make it feel less "navy-heavy." The H-Town alternate should've featured a white helmet and a H-Town Blue or white jersey, because what's the point of two different navy jerseys in rotation? (I don't care about the compromise they came to) This set has potential, but they missed the mark in some areas.

• Like 3

One thing about the Broncos the jerseys, I think the "mountain" design on the sleeve cap is going to have a similar effect as the Seahawks "feather", where its going to look like one thing on the players wearing them over shoulder pads, but extra stupid on the jerseys fans buy with the extended sleeves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

That's fair, but I think the Vikings already look dated.

This may be a stretch of merging modern and classic, but the Lions' new jerseys. I don't think any team has used Mustang style stripes, so it's a new use of a classic design. And it's a tie to the region that doesn't look forced.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

One thing about the Broncos the jerseys, I think the "mountain" design on the sleeve cap is going to have a similar effect as the Seahawks "feather", where its going to look like one thing on the players wearing them over shoulder pads, but extra stupid on the jerseys fans buy with the extended sleeves. 

This is an interesting point given that sleeves have actually made a very limited comeback recently. I noticed it started with Tyreek Hill last year, and now some players in the UFL have been sporting longer sleeves. I presume this is a "quarterback cut" jersey style or something a la Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. (Though frankly, I didn't know they were still available.) I'm now curious what the Broncos' new sleeve design will look like on this particular cut of the jersey.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

The new uniforms look even more bland to me.

• Like 2