2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, Froob said:

I think they should be.  I like when the numbers are the same color as the primary jersey.

I agree. They added more orange to the road jerseys, but it still feels like orange is the home color and navy is the road color, which has been an issue since they made orange the primary in 2012. Was hoping the rebrand would solve this issue since they got to start from scratch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SportsFan12 said:

It's sad that we've reached a point where it's considered an "upgrade" if a team doesn't completely screw up their redesign, no matter how uninspiring it is.

This whole process has become exhausting with all the teasers, leaks, hype videos, fake names of colors, gimmicky names of uniforms, backstories behind the most trivial uniform details, etc.  I miss when a team would say they are releasing the uniforms on a certain date and then post photos of players in those uniforms on that date.

Oh, and I can't even remember the last team to release a new uniform that didn't feature at least one Color Rush/monochrome uniform option. Is it a requirement at this point?

to be fair, isn't that kinda what all the teams that have unveiled new unis this season have done? 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, coborjobs2010 said:

I saw this about an interview Cal did this morning, "For those wishing a different uniform was home or away, the league basically told them which ones they had to use for home/away."
Seems like most Houstonians prefer the red as well, but I guess it wasn't possible?

That seems strange.  I'm trying to think if any of the recent new uniforms have changed home uniform colors.  The Falcons and Rams  come to mind (primary red to black & navy blue to royal blue respectively)

12 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Colts should definitely be at the bottom of the list of teams that need to change. I personally think their alternate uniform isn’t bad, but it should definitely not be pair with the black helmet.

I didn't mind the CR either, I just thought having three blue jerseys was a bad idea. The all-blue from the neck down with a black helmet felt out of balance as well. By itself the jersey is fine, and black socks may have helped to book-end the uniform and create a more balanced look.

• Like 1

Do the Texans have any photos of the uniforms that aren't closeups in dark lighting or awkward angles of players flexing/posing? The site doesn't seem to have much. Also looking for some different combinations if they did that at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

I agree. They added more orange to the road jerseys, but it still feels like orange is the home color and navy is the road color, which has been an issue since they made orange the primary in 2012. Was hoping the rebrand would solve this issue since they got to start from scratch.

I'm on the fence about that. I prefer the away jerseys to be the reverse of the home jerseys too, but the Broncos haven't used non-blue numbers since 1961.

19 minutes ago, coborjobs2010 said:

I saw this about an interview Cal did this morning, "For those wishing a different uniform was home or away, the league basically told them which ones they had to use for home/away."
Seems like most Houstonians prefer the red as well, but I guess it wasn't possible?

Now that I’ve had time to digest everything, I’m pretty firmly in the camp that there wasn’t anything truly terrible released this offseason. Some are mediocre, others really good, but definitely not the worst new uniforms offseason we’ve seen.

If I had to rank the changes it would be this:

1. Browns (new helmets with a white facemask).

2. Jets (I love the simplicity of the uniforms which allows the green to really stand out).

3. Texans (absolutely adore the new home jersey).

4. Lions (love everything except the stupid black and blue uniform and the new stripe. It just doesn’t do it for me).

5. Broncos (saw someone on twitter say the uniforms look like they could be a new UTEP redesign and now I can’t get that out of my mind).

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

2001 was peak NFL to me. Everyone had a really nice home and away. I even really liked the Patriots uniform back then. 

That's a funny and apt year to pick, because 2002 was when the NFL went from having a whole bunch of different companies on field to giving the exclusive rights leaguewide to Reebok.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

RHL9LkZm.jpgtfWgLRBm.jpg

xAmFv2Sm.jpgDmqupDXm.jpg

The good:

• The home uniform is damned near perfect. I like that instead of using the bull horns, they went minimalist. It really works.
  • Surprisingly, the home uniform is actually an upgrade over what was a really good previous look.
  • Replacing the red numbers with blue numbers on the road uniform looks pretty good.

The bad:

• I should take the easy route and just say everything else, but that's not what we do here.
  • Truncated pants stripes.
  • The bull horns on the road and alternate jerseys are dumb. They're a classic example of Nike not knowing when to stop. Huge downgrade that ruins what could have been a very solid road look.
  • The entire bull motif. The players aren't bulls and no one thinks they look like bulls. They aren't comic book characters, they're football players. Adding bull horns doesn't enhance their abilities, it just makes the jersey look weird. The "teams need to look like what they're named after" nonsense needs to stop before my Buckeyes end up wearing brown, tan, and green.
  • The bull horn on the alternate helmet is not great. It needs more contrast. A simple fix would be to make the inside part white. It wouldn't make the helmet any better, but at least you'd be able to clearly see that the players are supposed to be bulls. Full disclosure:  I've never seen a bright red bull with blue horns.
  • The alternate with white pants wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but the head to toe read is awful.
  • The H-Town uniform is a complete and utter disaster. While I can respect telling the Titans to :censored: off, you gotta do it a lot better than this.

Grades:

Home uniforms - A

Road uniforms - D

Alternate - F (C- with white pants)

H-Town: Dumpster fire.

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

BB52Big.jpg

1. Jets — Very solid all around aside from matching socks. No stupid gimmicks or weird design elements is a huge plus, and even their crappy black alternate at least uses the same template as the other sets, which sadly is worth noting in today's NFL.

2. Lions — Lack of pant stripes is the obvious issue with these. Alternate is decent and better than their old Color Rush, and they at least use the correct logo on the helmet unlike the Texans.

3. Texans — Home and road sets are fine, although I was hoping they would incorporate more red. Alternate uniforms/helmets are weird and don't look like the Texans. 

4. Broncos - Just okay. I like the mix and match possibilities, but the white helmet is awful. At least it isn't the primary as was rumored. The sock situation looks like it's gonna be a disaster, which doesn't help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

In interviews they say the new Texans Navy is like the Yankees and the red is like Ohio State.

The difference being Ohio State makes red look good most of the time*.

*Despite having one of the best looks in college football, we do have the occasional dumbass uniform moment.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

In interviews they say the new Texans Navy is like the Yankees and the red is like Ohio State.

And in terms of Pantones, they aren't at all.

• Like 7

The white stripe makes it look like a curving road. I like it in theory, but it doesn't work for me in practice.

• Like 9
  • LOL 2
  • Huh? 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Another example of just sloppy design... the bevel effect on this H:

6623a296d3e89f832652ab7d_hlogo.webp

Ignoring the choices about the shape of the letter, if the light source is coming from the top-right,  then the bottom and left sections need to be darker:

Sucks-Beveled-900.jpg

....yet you can see on the left side that the highlights curve the entire way down to the point of the "bullhorns," breaking the lighting.

t5poqXU.png

I still have major problems with the construction of the blackletter H, but even just the smallest amount of refinement to the bevel and minor tweaks does wonders for the design.  

• Like 2