2024 NFL Changes

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

Sums it up nicely.

I’ve liked this guy ever since he showed up on my Twitter feed. Much more knowledgeable about uniform aesthetics than the fashion advice guy.

He’s done some great Commanders concepts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

To me it waters down the identity.  Universities are not as tied to football and football helmets for their identity, as they have bigger athletic departments and more.  While Michigan bringing out an "M" helmet and a cartoon mascot helmet to go along with their famous helmet would raise eyebrows, at most schools, it's all an expansion of a broader identity.

I'm well into my 40s and so maybe this isn't the same for younger people but the the helmet was a defacto alternate (or occasional primary) for all teams when I was younger. T-shirts, jackets, hats, stickers, etc. displayed the helmets. I still remember my Vikings pajamas with the helmet taking up most of the front.  While this has diminished some, the helmet has remained a part of the identity...now you have no idea which helmet the Texans will wear. This holds true to several other teams. The helmet, outside of maybe Dallas and a couple of other teams, is going away as a key team identifier.

I'd argue that the Texans very much spelled out which helmet they will wear. Nothing about their release gave me the impression they were planning on mix and matching the helmet, and I don't think there has been another instance in the NFL, maybe other than the Broncos release, where that was and or is the case. I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

How about this? We've reached the point where even logo geeks like us can tune in an NBA game and have no idea who's playing because the teams have so many uniforms. It's like if Coca-Cola had 20 different "can combos" for Coke Classic and most of them had an alternate logo and colors. That's how it dilutes the brand.

Sure, but this isn't about the NBA. I understand the comparison but 2 "extra" helmets doesn't dilute the Texans brand.

The only thing that makes it less professional is the perceived notion that an NFL team should have nothing more than a home and away uniform, and that since the league began we should stick to limited options but nothing they have done has made me feel like we are at an NCAA level where Oregon has a new uniform each week.

4 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

I'd argue that the Texans very much spelled out which helmet they will wear. Nothing about their release gave me the impression they were planning on mix and matching the helmet, and I don't think there has been another instance in the NFL, maybe other than the Broncos release, where that was and or is the case. I could be wrong though.

I was referring to the fact that they will wear multiple helmets, thereby watering down that identity. Most fans won't understand the helmet/jersey combos and won't know in advance what's being worn. They'll just know that the Texans wear three different helmets. That they've indicated their plans doesn't really solve the watering down problem.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

I was referring to the fact that they will wear multiple helmets, thereby watering down that identity. Most fans won't understand the helmet/jersey combos and won't know in advance what's being worn. They'll just know that the Texans wear three different helmets. That they've indicated their plans doesn't really solve the watering down problem.

Yes. Can you turn on the game and know instantly who is playing based on the uniforms? If not, your brand has failed.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

Just now, OnWis97 said:

So if you were to tune in to a week 14 and you see the texans wearing a red helmet would the casual fan know that the team playing is the Houston Texans. Yes

• Facepalm 1

Just now, YelichGraphics said:

Sure, but this isn't about the NBA. I understand the comparison but 2 "extra" helmets doesn't dilute the Texans brand.

My guess is someone was saying the same thing about the NBA back when it started adding alternates.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

My guess is someone was saying the same thing about the NBA back when it started adding alternates.

And I would argue that the NBA has gone out and changed their alternate identities WAY more than the NFL has. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of BFBS in the league atm however I can't name one alternate in the league where I still can't tell who that team is.

• Like 1

Gotta say I want to not like these but I really do, like really do. 

Pros

- Home is very clean and is a nice palette cleanser 

- Away/Alt template is great striping is beautiful

- Red helmet 😍

- Pant stripes

- Speckle paint😍

- Little splashes of Oiler Blue on collar

Cons

- H-Town Alt

• Like 1

In a way, the Broncos uniforms reminds me of the Jets' overhaul from 2019 - Struggling to compete while trying to figure out what their next steps will be, introduce a new uniform that might hopefully distract from the on-field play (it won't), only for them to revert back to a retro-inspired look 5 years down the road. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos