2024 NFL Changes

Call me crazy, but the McNairs hinted at something still to come. 

We haven't seen Stroud in any of these, I'm going to predict he's got a white helmet for a white out look at the unveil.  Would keep with the 3 shell rule.

EDIT - ehhh I think they have two blue shells, and the alt has red flake which seems like a waste.

40 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Respectfully, I’m not so sure that Denver are the clear losers. I think it depends on how we look at it.

And I look at it as Denver being the clear losers. Respectfully.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

BB52Big.jpg

45 minutes ago, Chawls said:

Respectfully, I’m not so sure that Denver are the clear losers. I think it depends on how we look at it.

As far as upgrading from their previous set, they are the clear winners. As far as just a standalone uniform, I might declare Houston as the losers. Especially seeing the jerseys up in fan shops, I wouldn’t wanna wear any of those Houston jerseys more than Denver, NYJ, or Detroit, especially.

Denver's are more cohesive across the set. Houston's have the better designs. Depends on which you value more

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

42 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

And the Eagles have had giant bird wings on their helmets forever.

True, but the Eagles aren't wearing white helmets, brown jerseys with sublimated feather textures, and yellow shoes and socks because it represents the quality craftsmanship and hardworking, high flying example of the American eagle. That's the difference.

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Just noticed that the stupid H-Town Alt numbers have a crappy shiny plastic finish. 🤮 

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the last set was that the color rush numbers (red on navy) were hard to see. So brightening the red and adding some shine, along with darkening the navy is a win for me.

As far as the set: I'm a traditionalist and a Texans fan who loved the original set.

I like em. Don't love em, but they are farrrr better than they could've been. I was expecting something along the lines of the broncos/old jags/old Bucs.

Are they perfect? No? There are a lot of things I would change. but they still look like the Texans. And the Color rush is pretty unique as far as the rest of the league goes.

2 minutes ago, damnyoutuesday said:

Denver's are more cohesive across the set. Houston's have the better designs. Depends on which you value more

What if I value aesthetics over both of those?

BB52Big.jpg

I think the Texans made some really good decisions like the bull-horn helmet, brightening the red and trying to craft a visual identity that wasn't "generic Oilers replacement" that the original look  — for as much as I was a fan — never seemed to get past, even with the awesome logo.

However, any good that the Texans did with this rebrand gets washed away because they failed to show the smallest semblance of restraint.  It's an identity-by-improv... throwing increasingly crazy ideas at the wall until the end and you have no idea how you arrived where you did. 

I could pick apart the entire identity, but I think something as simple as the helmet/shoulder logos pairings is the best example of the problem.  The team has this new bull-horn concept that they want to tie into the uniforms and helmets... It's objectively a good idea! But because it's a new visual that has no existing brand equity, you'd imagine that they'd want to keep the logo around in some fashion so people know it's the Houston Texans.

The logical solution is to keep the logo on the helmet and pair it with the horns on the uniform, and when you move the horns to the helmet for the alternate, the horns come off the jersey and the logo is added to the shoulders.

Instead, they somehow arrived at doubling up the logos on the home uniform and creating an alternate uniform that has no logos at all and four bull horns, just because they were trying to appeal to this fan survey that they self-interpreted as "Well, at least one of the uniforms needs to be conservative" and they decided that had to be the home uniform for reasons.  The general rule for interpreting fan surveys is that if there's no consensus, the general takeaway should not be "everyone's right, so let's try to make them all happy" and far more "We haven't provided a good enough solution up to this point, so our fanbase doesn't know what to pick."

This is elementary-level branding stuff and completely self-inflicted by the leadership. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

True, but the Eagles aren't wearing white helmets, brown jerseys with sublimated feather textures, and yellow shoes and socks because it represents the quality craftsmanship and hardworking, high flying example of the American eagle. That's the difference.

And neither are the Texans. I'm really just saying the whole "They look so unprofessional" line is just an excuse to say you would rather the design play it more safe and you don't like the look. And the examples you give I still don't think there's a team that is overtly being ridiculous in their design choices. I would agree with you on the Jags 2012 look and the Commanders but that's about it.

So you're telling me that the red pants have blue and white stripes. Yet the red jersey and helmet doesn't have white in the "horns'? Why on earth would they do this. There are so many inconsistencies and easy fixes in this set.

• Like 1

Theory: Texans put the primary logo on the sleeve for the home uniforms just in case they decide to make the bull horn helmet the primary in the future. The reception for that helmet has been overwhelmingly positive so far, lots of people saying it should be the primary.  You can only change uniforms every 5 years in the NFL but is there a similar rule for helmets? They could pivot to a navy helmet with red/white bull horns next season?

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

And neither are the Texans. I'm really just saying the whole "They look so unprofessional" line is just an excuse to say you would rather the design play it more safe and you don't like the look. And the examples you give I still don't think there's a team that is overtly being ridiculous in their design choices. I would agree with you on the Jags 2012 look and the Commanders but that's about it.

First off, I don't "make excuses." I state my opinion. My uniform opinions are based on one thing - does the uniform look good? I don't give a flying :censored: about "design process" or any of the other industry-speak that tries to justify an aesthetic disaster. It's not about "playing it safe" vs.  being "bold" or whatever. The design is either good or it isn't. Anything after that is just a circle jerk that I'm not particularly interested in taking part in.

Your opinion might be different from mine and that's perfectly OK.

You aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. How about we move on and annoy different people?

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

7 minutes ago, JustABallCoach said:

Love the deceptive phrasing here by using sold out incorrectly. This also isn't actually impressive. They said the exact same thing with the terrible 2015 Browns jerseys too as though it meant anything other than fans will buy new jerseys.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Just now, infrared41 said:

First off, I don't "make excuses." I state my opinion. My uniform opinions are based on one thing - does the uniform look good? I don't give a flying :censored: about "design process" or any of the other industry-speak that tries to justify an aesthetic disaster. It's not about "playing it safe" vs.  being "bold" or whatever. The design is either good or it isn't. Anything after that is just a circle jerk that I'm not particularly interested in taking part in.

You aren't going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. How about we move on and annoy different people?

I didn't know I was annoying you my apologies I was just debating my take. One of the things that annoys me is the instant negativity to all new things among these boards and I would like to at least a little leeway to a team trying to expand their brand. At the end of the day it's not that serious, just some uniforms. Agree to disagree

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Love the deceptive phrasing here by using sold out incorrectly. This also isn't actually impressive. They said the exact same thing with the terrible 2015 Browns jerseys too as though it meant anything other than fans will buy new jerseys.

Locally the H-Town alts have near unanimous praise, so it matches what I've seen and heard.

• Like 1