2024 NFL Changes

21 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

How about this? We've reached the point where even logo geeks like us can tune in an NBA game and have no idea who's playing because the teams have so many uniforms. It's like if Coca-Cola had 20 different "can combos" for Coke Classic and most of them had an alternate logo and colors. That's how it dilutes the brand.

Good analogy. If I love Coca Cola and then I go into the store and all the packaging is yellow out of the blue because of a "Yellow at Walgreens" promo, I'm less likely to notice and purchase it. Sure, if I really want to, I'll seek it out. And if I'm a huge cola addict, I'll probably be generally aware of all the packaging options and find it. But brands like this thrive on familiarity. Coca Cola would be crazy to not have its products be clear to the customers.

Sports are a bit different, I suppose. The impact of spending a couple of seconds of thinking Celtics/Heat is Kings/Clippers because of off-brand uniforms (before noting the score bug) might not be as big of a financial and customer retention concern. But money is also not what we're concerned with here; we're concerned with our own takes on uniforms and it makes sense that some of us don't like the watering down of identities, along with the flat out confusion of who's who.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just now, YelichGraphics said:

And I would argue that the NBA has gone out and changed their alternate identities WAY more than the NFL has. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of BFBS in the league atm however I can't name one alternate in the league where I still can't tell who that team is.

I think it's OK in the NBA or other leagues since they play so many games...but not the NFL, where there are only 17 (soon to be 18) games.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 29texan said:

"Nice" is subjective.

This was in 1996, btw:

az_ty_law_1996.jpg?w=640

I guarantee there'd be people bitching about those, the Eagles, the Niners, and the Ravens if this was 1996. There'd probably even still be grumbling over the Falcons and Jets "going BFBS" and the Jaguars using such a "gimmicky" color like teal. The Panthers' uniforms would probably be compared to the Arena League.

Of course, that would all look quaint compared to the meltdowns that would ensue over the Broncos' redesign the following year.

• Like 9

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

In 1996, some teams had nice  uniforms and some teams didn't. But they all had clear identities.

• Like 10

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Out of the new Unis this year

1-J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets 

- great classics 

- updates logo is very nice

2- Texans 

- (See post above )

3- Lions 

- I was badmouthed for this but I just think their Okay

4- Broncos 

- Jerseys are great 

- Everything else 😔

19 minutes ago, 29texan said:

"Nice" is subjective.

This was in 1996, btw:

az_ty_law_1996.jpg?w=640

When the Patriots transferred over from the World League or the CFL American experiment. I can't remember which? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

iq5b7nF.png

6 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

The only thing that makes it less professional is the perceived notion that an NFL team should have nothing more than a home and away uniform, and that since the league began we should stick to limited options but nothing they have done has made me feel like we are at an NCAA level where Oregon has a new uniform each week.

The NFL has teams using "swords for shoulders" and "bull horns" on their jerseys and claiming "triangles represent dissipating oxygen." This stopped being about looking professional a while ago.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Who had Denver being the clear loser in this year's new uniform Olympics?

Respectfully, I’m not so sure that Denver are the clear losers. I think it depends on how we look at it.

As far as upgrading from their previous set, they are the clear winners. As far as just a standalone uniform, I might declare Houston as the losers. Especially seeing the jerseys up in fan shops, I wouldn’t wanna wear any of those Houston jerseys more than Denver, NYJ, or Detroit, especially.

• Like 2

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

4 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

I think it's OK in the NBA or other leagues since they play so many games...but not the NFL, where there are only 17 (soon to be 18) games.

I agree with others that the NBA has blurred identities way more than the NFL has and in this respect it's worse. Turning on a game and seeing the Magic in orange and the Lakers in black is what we're talking about. In the early days of alts, I'd buy this argument; give me like 5-10 games of the Pistons in red alts or the Bulls in Black...but the alts held to the identity. Now they really don't.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't like these. Besides switching back to the original shade of navy blue so that it can match the helmet, everything else is a downgrade. I don't like either of the two alternates and the number font is significantly worse.

The Regular Navy Jersey is the best. The H logo helmet looks like a high school helemet. The Red set with the has horns going to different directions. Kind of a mess. I can live with the 2nd Navy jersey with a different helmet.

Really pleasantly surprised with the general reaction to the Texans look. Mixed here (better than I thought) and overwhelmingly positive in general. I was mainly worried they'd be bad and then I was worried it would be a Denver like mass panning of them.

• Like 1

Just now, infrared41 said:

The NFL has teams using "swords for shoulders" and "bull horns" on their jerseys and claiming "triangles represent dissipating oxygen." This stopped being about looking professional a while ago.

And the Eagles have had giant bird wings on their helmets forever. Just because it doesn't look good, pointing at the Titans, doesn't make it any less professional. It's a sports league meant to entertain. Just because its not the 60s anymore and every team isn't wearing some variety of stripes doesn't mean a team can't branch out to explore new ways to express their brand.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, YelichGraphics said:

And the Eagles have had giant bird wings on their helmets forever. Just because it doesn't look good, pointing at the Titans, doesn't make it any less professional. It's a sports league meant to entertain. Just because its not the 60s anymore and every team isn't wearing some variety of stripes doesn't mean a team can't branch out to explore new ways to express their brand.

They could put the horn on their helmet and make that their look, rather than it be part of many looks. 

They don’t need to double down by also having bull horns on the jerseys… which are actually backwards from the ones in the helmet - that looks ridiculous. 

Nothing wrong with trying new things - but commit to it. For better or for worse, make it your brand. Don’t have a different look for every day of the week because you’re afraid of commitment. They no longer have a brand. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

In 1996, some teams had nice  uniforms and some teams didn't. But they all had clear identities.

I'm not saying I love every team's current uniforms, because I don't. But looking around the league, the only teams I don't think have a clear identity are the Cardinals, Saints and Commanders. The Texans were also on that list until today.

The rest of the league, no matter how conservative or modern they are, at least have something that stands out, whether it's a color, a font, a striping pattern, etc. In 1996, we still had the Bills and Giants dressing exactly the same from the neck down and the Falcons trying to cosplay as the Raiders. Half the league had a basic black, silver or white helmet and unlike today, there were no alternate helmets that allowed teams to try something else. Merchandising has grown since then and forced teams to put a little more thought into it, not that they always succeed.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

16 minutes ago, BBTV said:

They could put the horn on their helmet and make that their look, rather than it be part of many looks. 

They don’t need to double down by also having bull horns on the jerseys… which are actually backwards from the ones in the helmet - that looks ridiculous. 

Nothing wrong with trying new things - but commit to it. For better or for worse, make it your brand. Don’t have a different look for every day of the week because you’re afraid of commitment. They no longer have a brand. 

This might be the best counter-argument I've been given. You got me, there are inconsistencies. I'd also argue just because they released 4 "different" uniforms doesn't mean they aren't all connected in some way, shape, or form. You can still tell that they are the Texans, the Home and Color Rush are basically the same but colored differently and the Away and Alternate are the same but colored differently.
I'd also still argue that having separate options that are all connected in some way doesn't make it unprofessional. I'll come back when you are all begging for a certain pair of pants to be paired with whatever they planned on top.

54 minutes ago, coborjobs2010 said:

spacer.png

loving this combo

I do too.  Not sure how I’ll like it with either helmet.   A White helmet with Navy facemask would’ve been great with these.

• Like 1