2024 NFL Changes

20 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Falcons

?? There's no way I would put the Falcons current set in "modern classic" territory. As soon as they released that set, I started counting down the five years until it could be replaced.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

The Lions striping debacle has a simple solution: New stripe on jersey and socks, classic northwestern stripes on the helmet and pants. (Silver facemasks and modern numbers are my personal preference, though I know that’s not a universal stance) Tall, complex stripes like the Lions and Steelers are better suited for horizontal application but don’t work as well on vertical application. A unified pattern is nice in some applications, but is not always automatically the best idea simply because it’s “cOnSiStEnT”. I prefer no more than one or two stripe patterns, but again, that’s not a hard and fast rule. Some sets just feel right with different striping patterns (pre-2020 Giants away uniforms, Georgia Bulldogs ‘80s throwbacks for example).

QDZdyeQ.png

• Like 13

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

34 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

The Lions striping debacle has a simple solution: New stripe on jersey and socks, classic northwestern stripes on the helmet and pants. (Silver facemasks and modern numbers are my personal preference, though I know that’s not a universal stance) Tall, complex stripes like the Lions and Steelers are better suited for horizontal application but don’t work as well on vertical application. A unified pattern is nice in some applications, but is not always automatically the best idea simply because it’s “cOnSiStEnT”. I prefer no more than one or two stripe patterns, but again, that’s not a hard and fast rule. Some sets just feel right with different striping patterns (pre-2020 Giants away uniforms, Georgia Bulldogs ‘80s throwbacks for example).

QDZdyeQ.png

That's a cool idea- I never thought about how the stripes from the previous uniform (the classic northwestern stripes) could be utilized as a narrower version of thr current stripes. That could work, and it would certainly solve the gripes from some commenters that the helmet and pants stripes are too busy.

53 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

QDZdyeQ.png

Their stripes definitely need white in them though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I love the cardinals white set. I've said this on here before, but if they just throw the red pants away and wear the white pants on both home and road, they would look great. (Of course the BFBS set needs to go too but that's another topic)

With red socks it would be fantastic. With white socks it’s meh. 

2 hours ago, HopewellJones said:

Socks and stripes make all the difference. 

I Just. Don't. Understand the popularity of wearing stripeless pants and socks of the same color. It looks so friggin goofy. I'd be gushing over the Lions upgrade if they only had silver pants. I'd even be cool with the silly black alternate. But the blueberry look is so bad, and I just can't understand what the kids see in it. 

Monochrome is definitely not a dealbreaker for me. I think it works great in many instances. But I think the only time same-color, stripeless socks and pants can work is when it's black or white (Ravens alts, Longhorns away, etc). Maybe a dark navy. I'm rambling but yeah, that Lions shade of blue being literally the only thing present below the numbers...not a good look at all.

I had a sock epiphany about five years ago and since then have color-coordinated my clothing. I would estimate I own socks in around 20 different colors (most solid-color, a few striped). Not dress socks either - athletic socks. I feel good about how I look, and on the rare occasion others notice, their reaction is usually positive or neutral. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

A pants stripe that doesn't match the helmet or the jersey?

They'd probably put the jersey stripes on the pants if anything, no?

5 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

But your stripe doesn't match the helmet and jersey stripes.

I get that, but prefer a simpler pattern for that area. 

Having said that, I still would gladly take this over the stripe-less blue pants:

Rw9Ptzj.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Lions have a long history of matching their pants stripes to the helmet though. 

White/blue/white stripes on these pants would be "complementary" to the uni but would still look like piss compared to the blue/white/blue stripes that match the helmet

Detroit Lions Fan Shop HQ

Sure but the Lions uniform in that image doesn't have sleeve stripes with a match pattern either.

The proposed pattern below is pretty nice in my opinion because the thicker silver stripe bookended by two thinner white stripes has a thematic connection to the sleeve which has a pair of thicker silver stripes surrounded by white even if it doesn't match exactly. Would I use the exact same pattern? Sure. But this is still nice and I'd take it over the plain blue.

OoEs45d.png

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Sure but the Lions uniform in that image doesn't have sleeve stripes with a match pattern either.

The proposed pattern below is pretty nice in my opinion because the thicker silver stripe bookended by two thinner white stripes has a thematic connection to the sleeve which has a pair of thicker silver stripes surrounded by white even if it doesn't match exactly. Would I use the exact same pattern? Sure. But this is still nice and I'd take it over the plain blue.

OoEs45d.png

The pant stripes don't have to match the sleeve stripes. For the Lions, they usually match the helmet stripes. 

The Lions have a thick-two-racing-stripe theme in the unis, and putting pants stripes that have two thin lines on the outside completely goes against the theme.  

If the LIons had white and silver stripes in the same style as the Browns, all with the same weight, then a white/silver/white look would be fine on the pants. But they don't.  The two thick silver or blue racing stripes are clearly the focus here. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 hours ago, ruttep said:

?? There's no way I would put the Falcons current set in "modern classic" territory. As soon as they released that set, I started counting down the five years until it could be replaced.

I wouldn’t necessarily call the Falcons themselves a “modern classic” per se, that was just the easiest category to fit them in. “Modernized looks that keep things restrained & aren’t overly busy or grotesque” doesn’t really have the same ring to it.

I will take the moment to defend the Falcons uniforms just a bit, though. I personally think they’re over-hated (and I was part of that hate when they first released): The “ATL” is obviously too big, & the number font could use a little  bit of work, but there isn’t really any element that is obnoxiously and ridiculously bad, there’s nothing near the level of the Jaguars’ old two-tone helmet or the Bucs’ alarm clock numbers, for example.

I really like the red stripe down the side, it provides a nice pop of color in the TV view, and coheres well with their logo. It creates a bit of a problem with including a potential red jersey, to which their solution was to do the gradient. I never hated that uniform, that was a guilty pleasure design for me.

The only thing I really dislike about the Falcons’ current set is whenever they go completely white-out, which they’ve seemingly done less & less frequently over the years. Black socks help the white jersey, white pants combo immensely.

Moreover, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think any of the Falcons’ throwbacks are worth going back to, at least not without some significant changes. The red-heavy years just feel like Georgia Bulldogs-lite, & the black-heavy years feel like the Raiders with a black helmet. The current set provides a nice balance of both colors.

There is no universe in which the definition of “modern classic” could apply to the Falcons uniform. In fact, id argue that it was designed with planned-obsolescence in mind, and was never supposed to last more than 5-7 seasons. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong (feel free to hold me accountable in 2030) but that’s my thoughts on it. 

Even if they somehow did decide to keep it for 20-30 years, that doesn’t necessarily make it a “modern classic”. 

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There is no universe in which the definition of “modern classic” could apply to the Falcons uniform. In fact, id argue that it was designed with planned-obsolescence in mind, and was never supposed to last more than 5-7 seasons. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong (feel free to hold me accountable in 2030) but that’s my thoughts on it. 

Even if they somehow did decide to keep it for 20-30 years, that doesn’t necessarily make it a “modern classic”. 

It can be a "modern classic" if they simply do black/white/black at home, white/black/red on the road, or white/white/black on road, and shrink the ATL to Atlanta. Otherwise I don't think they're terrible, just a few things from being middle of the road.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Goodness, I knew I was gonna get flak for grouping them in. 😂 

My only point was that the Falcons, to me, are more along the lines of the Vikings, Chargers, Bengals, & Dolphins than they are the Titans, Rams, Commanders, & now Broncos, if that makes sense.

Whatever you want to call that group of teams that have modern designs, but are at least somewhat restrained compared to the worst of the worst, I leave that up to your discretion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily call the Falcons themselves a “modern classic” per se, that was just the easiest category to fit them in. “Modernized looks that keep things restrained & aren’t overly busy or grotesque” doesn’t really have the same ring to it.

I will take the moment to defend the Falcons uniforms just a bit, though. I personally think they’re over-hated (and I was part of that hate when they first released): The “ATL” is obviously too big, & the number font could use a little  bit of work, but there isn’t really any element that is obnoxiously and ridiculously bad, there’s nothing near the level of the Jaguars’ old two-tone helmet or the Bucs’ alarm clock numbers, for example.

I really like the red stripe down the side, it provides a nice pop of color in the TV view, and coheres well with their logo. It creates a bit of a problem with including a potential red jersey, to which their solution was to do the gradient. I never hated that uniform, that was a guilty pleasure design for me.

The only thing I really dislike about the Falcons’ current set is whenever they go completely white-out, which they’ve seemingly done less & less frequently over the years. Black socks help the white jersey, white pants combo immensely.

Moreover, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think any of the Falcons’ throwbacks are worth going back to, at least not without some significant changes. The red-heavy years just feel like Georgia Bulldogs-lite, & the black-heavy years feel like the Raiders with a black helmet. The current set provides a nice balance of both colors.

The red pant stripe bothers me because they don’t have any red socks. It looks like it’s leading to/pointing at something, and then…nope. 

14 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

My only point was that the Falcons, to me, are more along the lines of the Vikings, Chargers, Bengals, & Dolphins than they are the Titans, Rams, Commanders, & now Broncos, if that makes sense.

Whatever you want to call that group of teams that have modern designs, but are at least somewhat restrained compared to the worst of the worst, I leave that up to your discretion.

I would consider the Rams’ current set to be better than Atlanta’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

The “ATL” is obviously too big, & the number font could use a little  bit of work, but there isn’t really any element that is obnoxiously and ridiculously bad

You named the two elements that are obnoxiously and ridiculously bad. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

28 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

The red pant stripe bothers me because they don’t have any red socks. It looks like it’s leading to/pointing at something, and then…nope. 

I wouldn’t mind the inclusion of some red socks, especially when they wear black pants with the white jersey, but it might be a bit distracting having the most attention-grabbing color be most prominent on the socks, without balancing it out with a red helmet.

28 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I would consider the Rams’ current set to be better than Atlanta’s. 

I can’t agree with you there. The Rams set can look decent from a distance, but I can’t get over the segmented banana/crescent moon horn, the Fruit Roll-Up numbers, and the highlighter yellow. Fix those three (incredibly frustrating) elements, & they’d be right there in that “Modern Classic™” discussion for me.

13 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Nah, I can’t put either of those elements on nearly  the same level as the Jags’ two-tone helmet, the Bucs’ alarm clock numbers, “Browns” down the side of the pants, or even the Rams’ dishwater uniform.

Would I shrink the large “ATL” (or go with “Falcons” &/or “Atlanta”) & adjust the number font, if it were completely up to me? Sure, of course, but it doesn’t burn my retinas to look at those elements, like the other examples I listed do.

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

That's your grouping, and there's nothing wrong with your grouping. However, I'd bet that most people would have these Falcons uniforms in the second set of teams rather than the first.

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

40 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That's your grouping, and there's nothing wrong with your grouping. However, I'd bet that most people would have these Falcons uniforms in the second set of teams rather than the first.

Of course, I acknowledged as much that it was seemingly an unpopular opinion in the original post. I’m all about the subjectivity of all of this. 

But @ruttep keeps trying to dunk on me with clever comebacks & present his views as objective fact, so I figured I’d double down & actually explain my reasoning.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

I wouldn't call them obnoxiously and ridiculously bad if fixing them is as simple as it is.

Reduce the ATL in size or (maybe move it to where the Rams have their patch), maybe tweak the font slightly and it's turned into a pretty nice uniform those aren't load bearing features. I'll give them a lot credit or getting the side panel to look pretty good. I've been very skeptical (I'd prefer it to be a straight stripe) but I think it's turned out pretty good.

AA1qdb4s.img?w=768&h=512&m=6

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

After watching every Falcons game since these uniforms have debuted, they are just stale at this point. It's true that it isn't overly bad, but to us , it's just like the hawks set from 2015. The volt and triangle feather pattern was cool and unique, but quickly ran cold. The Hawks listened to the fans when everyone was asking to switch to a more traditional set. We just want the same for our other Birds