Loosely inspired by my recently competed series, I wanted to imagine an alternate history in which Major League Baseball found a foothold out West and then expanded east, rather than the other way around. What would it have looked like the Dodgers and Giants departed California to give the NL two present-day New York teams? Or if the A’s started out in Oakland and ultimately wound up in Philly? My main prompt here was to depict what current-day teams who relocated in the second half of the 20th century would have looked like in the dead-ball era, and visa versa. We'll start things off today with...

What if the Los Angeles Dodgers moved to Brooklyn?

LOS ANGELES DODGERS (1914)

HOME:

LA-Dodgers-Home-1914.png

ROAD:

LA-Dodgers-Road-1914.png

Notes:

- The L.A. Dodgers are based on Brooklyn’s 1914 look, which featured pinstripes and a Tuscan "B" on the breast of the home jersey.

- The road set features a vertical “LOS ANGELES” wordmark down a solid-colored placket.

BROOKLYN DODGERS (2024)

HOME:

Brooklyn-Dodgers-Home-2023.png

ROAD:

Brooklyn-Dodgers-Road-2023.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:
Brooklyn-Dodgers-Alt-2023.png

Notes:

- The modern-day Brooklyn Bums are essentially the Dodgers meet the Mets (specifically, the late '90s Mets, sans black), with a royal blue and orange color scheme based on the New York City flag.

- I went with an arched block "BROOKYLN" wordmark, as the modern-day New York Giants will be using a script for their road jersey. 

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (LA/Brooklyn Dodgers 2/5)
23 hours ago, Coiler said:

Since the Mets only exist due to New York not having had an NL team anymore...

Nice work.

Thanks!

What if the Washington Nationals became the Montreal Expos?

WASHINGTON NATIONALS (1980)

HOME:

Washington-Nats-1980-Home-triple-racing-

ROAD:

Washington-Nats-1980-Road.png

Notes:

- My 1980s Nationals design makes use of the Washington Stars prototype logo intended for the Padres' aborted move to Washington. 
- A third stripe is added between the Expos' red and blue racing stripes to produce a patriotic red, white and blue effect. 

- Similar to those '80s Expos uniforms, the road uniform is just a powder blue version of the home set. 

MONTREAL EXPOS (2024)

HOME:

Expos-Home-2023-pullover.png

ROAD:

Expos-Road-2023-pullover.png

HOME ALT:

Expos-Home-Alt-2023.png

ROAD ALT:
Expos-Road-Alt-2023.png

Notes:

-  Raglan sleeves were a recent addition to the home and road designs after the Nats unveiled their new alternate a week or so ago. 
- Just as the Nats use both a script and block style "W," so too would the Expos with a Montreal "M." The home and home alt feature a block “M” set against the silhouette of St. Joseph’s Oratory (which conveniently has a similar silhouette to the Capitol Building), flanked on either side by fleur-de-lis.
- Inspired by the Flag of Montreal, the sock pattern features a red symmetric cross. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (Nationals/Expos 2/6)
26 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Congrats for finishing the series and great start for a new one! Brilliant idea, as usual 💯 These 4 first teams all look great, specially the Nats.

Given the Expos' name, what about using the Canadian pavilion for the home and alt unis?

9 minutes ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

It's not that St. Joseph's isn't a recognisable building and doesn't have the nice parallel with Washington, but I'm not sure it's quite an iconic enough building to qualify for logo silhouette level.

Thank you! Very reasonable comments about the use of St. Joseph's. I'll try it out with the Canadian pavillion or another more iconic landmark once I wrap up the rest of the series.

What if the Baltimore Orioles became the St. Louis Browns?

BALTIMORE ORIOLES (1916)

HOME:

Orioles-Home-1916.png

ROAD:

Orioles-Road-1916-w-black-scripts.png

Notes:

- Yes, I'm aware the original Baltimore Orioles played from 1901-02, but that team has no relation to the modern day O's who descended from the St. Louis Browns. 

- I chose a more orange-forward look to set the Orioles apart from brown-dominant St. Louis, which you'll see below. 

- The caps and home jersey feature the ornate "B" used by the 1890s Orioles, while the sleeves use a recolored version of the cross from the Maryland flag

ST.  LOUIS BROWNS (2024)

HOME:

Browns-Home-2023-lighter-orange.png

ROAD:

Browns-Road-2023-lighter-orange.png

HOME ALT:

Browns-Home-Alt-2023-lighter-orange.png

ROAD ALT:

Browns-Road-Alt-2023-lighter-orang.png

Notes:

- The modern-day Browns look more or less how you'd expect, with scripts, piping and block numbers consistent with the Orioles' current look. 

- Just as Baltimore's jerseys use a roundel containing the Maryland flag, all four jerseys here feature a new roundel incorporating the St. Louis flag

- The home cap features the face of mascot Brownie the elf, while the road features a shorthand "B's" mark as a nod to the "O's" cap used by Baltimore.

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (Browns/Orioles 2/7)

Nice, always like the Browns colors.

For a real "what-the-what-if", you could mix the Orioles with the Astros. The 1890s Orioles had more or less the exact same reputation as the contemporary Astros: Good but dirty and ruthless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coiler said:

Nice, always like the Browns colors.

For a real "what-the-what-if", you could mix the Orioles with the Astros. The 1890s Orioles had more or less the exact same reputation as the contemporary Astros: Good but dirty and ruthless.

Interesting suggestion. They both wear orange, so that might be a place to start...

What if the Texas Rangers became the Washington Senators?

TEXAS RANGERS (1961)

HOME:
Rangers-Home-1961.png

ROAD:

Rangers-Road-1961.png

Notes:

- Much like the Senators, the ‘60s Rangers would boast very simple uniforms, with pinstripes at home and road grays with no trim or piping.

WASHINGTON SENATORS (2024)

HOME:

Senators-v2-Home-2023-w-drop-shadow-scri

ROAD:

Senators-v2-Road-2023-w-placket.png

HOME ALT:

Senators-v2-Home-Alt-2023-w-drop-shadow-

ROAD ALT:
Senators-v2-Road-Alt-2023-w-crest.png

Notes:

- The modern-day Senators feature a drop shadowed version of Washington’s 1959-60 home script, as well as a block “W” cap logo and numbers in the style of the Rangers.  
- A billowing D.C. flag adorns the sleeves of all four jerseys, a la the Texas flag on the Rangers’ unis.

C&C appreciated, and Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (Rangers/Senators 2/11)

Man, that Senators one is 🔥🔥🔥. I’ve seen a lot of Washington concepts, this is great and unique. Excellent work!That Baltimore B is beautiful; classy set. The “B’s” are perfect! Script is spot-on. White sleeve on the Dodgers is a really nice touch and makes everything pop. Lots to love here, looking forward to the rest of the Series.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Man, that Senators one is 🔥🔥🔥. I’ve seen a lot of Washington concepts, this is great and unique. Excellent work!That Baltimore B is beautiful; classy set. The “B’s” are perfect! Script is spot-on. White sleeve on the Dodgers is a really nice touch and makes everything pop. Lots to love here, looking forward to the rest of the Series.

3 hours ago, LaGrandeOrange said:

Yeah really great concept, no real reason the Nats couldn't look like that.

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Oh that senators one looks incredible

Wow, thank you all!

What if the Oakland Athletics moved to Kansas City?

OAKLAND ATHLETICS (1919)

HOME:
Oakland-A-s-Home-1919.png

ROAD:
Oakland-A-s-Road-1919.png

Notes:

- The 1900s Oakland A’s keep their classic green and gold while adding pinstripes to the home set. 

- I used the Philadelphia A's 1902-19 "A" logo--which would eventually evolve into the one currently used by Oakland--for both the home and road jersey. 

KANSAS CITY ATHLETICS (2024)

HOME:

Kansas-City-A-s-Home-2023.png

ROAD:

Kansas-City-A-s-Road-2023-w-block-script

HOME ALT:

Kansas-City-A-s-Home-Alt-2023-w-white-sc

ROAD ALT:
Kansas-City-A-s-Road-Alt-2023-w-monogram

Notes:

- Vest style jerseys are meant to mimic those worn by the A's during their final years in Kansas City.
- Royal gold from KC's 1969-92 primary logos is promoted to secondary color status to pull off the dual-color look of Oakland's uniforms. 
- The road cap features an Old English style “KC” monogram.

As always, C&C appreciated!

• Like 7

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (Oakland/Kansas City A's 2/13)

I wonder what would happen with Oakland and Vegas in this Universe...

• Like 2

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

On 2/14/2024 at 1:41 PM, GrayJ12 said:

The royal gold with the A's branding surprisingly fits very well. Keep it up!

Thank you!

On 2/14/2024 at 12:56 PM, Blindsay said:

I wonder what would happen with Oakland and Vegas in this Universe...

That's an interesting question. I might have to revisit this thread in 2-3 years and reverse engineer the Vegas A's uniforms to imagine how they would have looked in the 1910s or '20s. 😉

What if the San Francisco Giants moved to New York?

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (1923)

HOME:

SF-Giants-Home-1923.png

ROAD:
SF-Giants-Road-1923.png

Notes:

- San Francisco's set is based on the Giants' 1923 look, with home and road pinstripes, tri-colored headspoon & sleeve piping and pinstriped caps.  
- I repurposed the Negro League Seals' cap logo, which happens to look like a more crudely-rendered version of the Giants' monogram. 

NEW YORK GIANTS (2024)

HOME:

NY-Giants-Home-2023-Elite-script.png

ROAD:

NY-Giants-Road-2023.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:
NY-Giants-Alt-2023-Elite-script.png

Notes:

- I wanted the modern New York Giants to look as different from the Yankees as possible, so I went all-in on the '80s Mets racing stripes and kept the off-white from San Francisco's home uniforms.

- The home script comes from the Baltimore Elite Giants Negro League club. 

- Since racing stripes only really work with a matching jersey and pants, I went mono-black to produce a look that could be worn at home and on the road. 

C&C appreciated!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (San Francisco/New York Giants 2/15)
12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Thank you!

That's an interesting question. I might have to revisit this thread in 2-3 years and reverse engineer the Vegas A's uniforms to imagine how they would have looked in the 1910s or '20s. 😉

What if the San Francisco Giants moved to New York?

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (1923)

HOME:

SF-Giants-Home-1923.png

ROAD:
SF-Giants-Road-1923.png

Notes:

- San Francisco's set is based on the Giants' 1923 look, with home and road pinstripes, tri-colored headspoon & sleeve piping and pinstriped caps.  
- I repurposed the Negro League Seals' cap logo, which looks like a more crudely-rendered version of the Giants' "SF" monogram. 

NEW YORK GIANTS (2024)

HOME:

NY-Giants-Home-2023-Elite-script.png

ROAD:

NY-Giants-Road-2023.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:
NY-Giants-Alt-2023-Elite-script.png

Notes:

- I wanted the modern New York Giants to look as different from the Yankees as possible, so I went all-in on the '80s Mets racing stripes and kept the off-white from San Francisco's home uniforms.

- The "Giants" script comes from the Baltimore Elite Giants Negro League club. 

- Since racing stripes only really work when the jersey and pants match, I went mono-black to produce a look that could be worn at home and on the road. 

C&C appreciated!

The NY Giants look awesome, though I would like to think they would have an orange squatchee for the home and road cap and an orange billed alternate cap in this universe, the SF Giants orange billed cap I have is one of my faves.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 9:59 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

Would the NFL Giants be black and orange in this universe too?

That's a good question! I honestly hadn't even thought about it.

On 2/15/2024 at 12:30 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

The NY Giants look awesome, though I would like to think they would have an orange squatchee for the home and road cap and an orange billed alternate cap in this universe, the SF Giants orange billed cap I have is one of my faves.

Good call.  I've edited my previous post with your suggested tweaks. I also added a white stroke to the logo on the alt cap so it makes the jersey script.

What if the Atlanta Braves moved to Boston?

ATLANTA BRAVES (1939)

HOME:

Atlanta-Braves-Home-1939.png

ROAD:

Atlanta-Braves-Road-1939.png

Notes:

- My 1930s Braves concept puts a spin on Boston's 1939 set, albeit with a more navy dominant look than red. 

- The home uni features an ornate letter "A" evoking the Old English "B" worn by Boston in their early years and throughout the early 1940s

BOSTON BRAVES (2024)

HOME:
Boston-Braves-Home-2023-darker-blue.png

ROAD:
Boston-Braves-Road-2023-different-script

HOME ALT:
Boston-Braves-Home-Alt-2023-darker-blue.

ROAD ALT:
Boston-Braves-Road-Alt-2023-different-sc

Notes:

- I wanted to go in a wildly different direction for the modern day Boston Braves, so I used the colors from the Red Sox City Connect set. These colors are also similar to those worn by Boston when they took the field as the Bees from 1936-40. 

- Pinstripes return to the home uniform, which, when paired with double outlined scripts and numbers, result in a look somewhat resembling Atlanta's 1976-79 unis

- I wasn't sure what do for a sleeve patch (if one is even needed), so suggestions are certainly welcome. 

C&C appreciated, and I hope everyone has a good weekend! 

• Like 6

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB Reverse Relocations! (Atlanta/Boston Braves 2/16)
8 hours ago, Coiler said:

Ah, the Bees! Nice work on all of them.

e37465a1-367f-4a53-a0e3-33ec557b795d_tex

Thank you!

What if the Minnesota Twins became the Washington Senators?

MINNESOTA TWINS (1912)

HOME:
Twins-Home-1912.png

ROAD:
Twins-Road-1912.png

Notes:

- Minnesota's uniforms are pretty straightforward off-white and gray versions of one another. 
- I wanted another solid-colored placket design in this series, and the early 1900s Twins, inspired by the 1910s Senators, presented the perfect opportunity to do so. 
- The cap and jerseys feature a reimagining of the Twins' classic "TC" logo with interlocking Old English-style letters. 

WASHINGTON SENATORS (2024)

HOME:

Senators-Home-2023.png

ROAD:

Senators-Road-2023.png

HOME/ROAD ALT:
Senators-Alt-2023-darker-red.png

Notes:

- It turns out @MJD7 and I were on very similar wavelengths when I was working on this project and he was simultaneously working on his MLB Multiverse series, as we ended up producing nearly identical concepts for a modern day Washington Senators set based on the Twins' new look. 

- There are a few small differences from Matt's design, including the striping colors and cap logo. I was also conscious of avoiding letting this set to look too much like my previous Rangers-to-Washington concept, which is one reason why I went with off-white home unis over white. 

C&C appreciated! I currently have just one team left planned, but please let me know if I managed to miss any. 

• Like 7