Most Overated players

stimpy

Baseball

Jorge Posada, There is no way this guy deserves and ALL star every year, Varitek has always put up better numbers

Derek Jeter, Not has great has everyone says, alot of errors and the "dive into the stands" play was the biggest piece of BS ever. He made the catch and couldnt stop, thats what he gets credit for??

Barry Bonds, He's good but not "The greatest player ever" like alot of people say that makes me mad

Jason Giambi, one word Steroids

Football

Joe Horn, That Cell Phone thing really boosted his career

Basketball

Yao Ming, He's tall, so what?

Vince carter, He was never that good

Hockey

Can't think of any right now

Give Yao Ming Time

Most Overrated in Baseball I agree Giambi this year shows he was all roids.

In Football its starting to look like Michael Vick unless he starts playing wll and soon

In Basketball Vince Carter is clearly the choice here

In Hockey Jaromir Jagr is the most overrated look at his career since leaving Pittsburgh.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Currently?

NHL-none, they're all locked out!

Hmm-Kris Draper or any of several Leafs players--including Eddie Balfour

Historically for the NHL I would say Grannt Fuhr, and not because I'm a FLames fan--I like Andy Moog and Bill Ranford--and would have loved to have had either one on the Flames.

One of the Goalies I really hated as a Flames fan was Rick Wamsley--and was glad when they traded for him, for that reason alone--he always seemed to play very well against the Flames...

Fuhr could be lazy, "oops did that go in? oh well--we have a bunch of guys who will get it back for me..."

Now understand-I am NOT saying he was lousy--no--he was very good-and deserving of being in the Hall of Fame, and I wouldn't have minded him on the Flames (where he did end his career--and I didn't mind having him well past his prime).

BUT overrated doesn't necessarily mean lousy--just not as good as most people say he is/was--Fuhr fits the bill...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I miss Grant. We'd have probably won a Cup in '96 if not for the Leafs player taking him out...Fuhr thinks so anyway...

Okay...sorry...just felt the need to say that.

Maybe--but there were other factors...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I miss Grant. We'd have probably won a Cup in '96 if not for the Leafs player taking him out...Fuhr thinks so anyway...

Okay...sorry...just felt the need to say that.

Maybe--but there were other factors...

Factors of what?

If you mean the Blues getting knocked out in '96 (and you very well may not), I think the most you can say is that a healthy Grant Fuhr does not gurantee us a Cup.

However, with our backup, Jon Casey, we advanced to the second round. Oh man. I hate this memory. Game seven, double OT, 0-0...Gretzky craps up a pass in his skates (probably not his fault, but since he left for NY shortly after, I hold my grudge)...Yzerman hits a slapper at the blueline...beats Casey top shelf on what is really an ugly goal. Blues are eliminated. Shouldn't have been a goal, but you can't be mad at Casey because he played so awesome leading up to that...much better than expected.

Anyway, of course, the Red Wings went on to be the Cup Champs. Now, I think it'd be hard to argue against the opinion that the Blues would have been able to beat the Wings with a healthy Fuhr. If the Wings won the Cup, and the Blues would have beat them...well...the Blues definatley were gonna be sitting pretty.

Baseball

Jorge Posada, There is no way this guy deserves and ALL star every year, Varitek has always put up better numbers

Derek Jeter, Not has great has everyone says, alot of errors and the "dive into the stands" play was the biggest piece of BS ever. He made the catch and couldnt stop, thats what he gets credit for??

Barry Bonds, He's good but not "The greatest player ever" like alot of people say that makes me mad

Jason Giambi, one word Steroids

Football

Joe Horn, That Cell Phone thing really boosted his career

Basketball

Yao Ming, He's tall, so what?

Vince carter, He was never that good

Hockey

Can't think of any right now

Barry Bonds IS one of the greatest players ever. He's atleast the second best ever. He's the most respected, his numbers are absolutely out of this world, and he does it against the best players in the world. Not just the best white players in America -- like Babe Ruth got to face. I heard something the other day that they think Bonds can see the pitch faster than any other player in the game and know what it is. I think they said he can see it about 4 feet before any other player can. Dunno how they came to that conclusin but still.

Derek Jeter is the heart behind a Yankees team which is in the World Series year in and year out. I don't see him as being overrated at all as I think he's the most important player on the Yankees. My opinion, of course.

From what I saw last year, Yao Ming looks like he will be the best answer any team has to Shaq in the near future. He will be a better player than he already is -- and he will be in the hunt for some championships with Tracy McGrady.

Vince Carter was, and in some aspects, still is good.

IUe6Hvh.png

Football

James Hird (Essendon) although that 200k fine was maney well spent cos' after that he got a great ride from the umpires

Nathan Buckley (COllingwood) cos' it's NAthan Buckley

Eddie MAguire (COllingwood PResident) cos' he is a dope with a big chin and cos' he is the pres of the filth

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Eddie MAguire (COllingwood PResident) cos' he is a dope with a big chin and cos' he is the pres of the filth

:lol: we're talking about players here. He's just an overrated commenator. :D

Oh yeah, the player who ran over Fuhr, Nick Kypreos.

I saw, I came, I left.

Anyway, of course, the Red Wings went on to be the Cup Champs. Now, I think it'd be hard to argue against the opinion that the Blues would have been able to beat the Wings with a healthy Fuhr. If the Wings won the Cup, and the Blues would have beat them...well...the Blues definatley were gonna be sitting pretty.

The Wings didn't win the Cup in 96 though, they were beaten in the Western Conference Finals by Colorado (remember the Lemieux/Draper incident?). I gotta agree with you though, the Blues were on a major roll that year and very well could've gone all the way...

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

i can't comment on nba or baseball since i know very few players from either league.

however in football, im going with the retired Ricky Williams and the extremely overrated Randy Moss.

in hockey, peter bondra, Paul Kariya, Temmu selanne, Bill Guerin, Pavel Bure the list goes on.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Baseball:

Jeter. Jeter's a good ball player, but he is a product of his system.

(Retired) Ripken. His numbers were not great. His games record makes people overstate his greatness. When he and Tony Gwynn go into the Hall of Fame together, it's going to be Cal Ripken day, with Gwynn as an afterthought and Gwynn was MUCH better hitter.

Basketball:

Definatley Vince Carter. In pre-ESPN Plays of the Week days, he'd be considered just another pretty good starter. He makes some nice athletic plays, but he's not the guy you want to build a team around.

Football:

Chris Hovan and Daunte Culpeper. I'm a vikes fan and I think these two are overrated.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

However, with our backup, Jon Casey, we advanced to the second round. Oh man. I hate this memory. Game seven, double OT, 0-0...Gretzky craps up a pass in his skates (probably not his fault, but since he left for NY shortly after, I hold my grudge)...Yzerman hits a slapper at the blueline...beats Casey top shelf on what is really an ugly goal. Blues are eliminated. Shouldn't have been a goal, but you can't be mad at Casey because he played so awesome leading up to that...much better than expected.

In focusing on that one goal, you're forgetting Game Six. The Blues had won three straight leading up to the sixth game and had the opportunity to eliminate the Wings in St. Louis. They blew that chance, pushing the series to seven games.

Anyway, Detroit was 3-1-1 against St. Louis during the 1995-96 regular season, they had beaten the Blues with Fuhr then so it might not have mattered in the playoffs.

And Stampman, I think you're nuts if you say Draper is overrated.

Baseball:

Jeter. Jeter's a good ball player, but he is a product of his system.

(Retired) Ripken. His numbers were not great. His games record makes people overstate his greatness. When he and Tony Gwynn go into the Hall of Fame together, it's going to be Cal Ripken day, with Gwynn as an afterthought and Gwynn was MUCH better hitter.

Jeter is not overratted, he's not a numbers guy but take Jeter off the Yankees and they do not win 4 world championships, and they are not in the World Series last year. Jeter is the heart and soul of the Yankees, without him the are the LA Dodgers of a few years ago, overpaid and underachievers.

As for Ripken, he holds the record for hr for a shortstop. He was the first of the offensive shortstops.

I wouldn't call Vick overrated. I mean, he had a damn good rookie year, then got foolish in the preseason and got hurt in 2003..what do you want from him? Play quarterback in a wheelchair?

i think people mean he's over rated because he has all the hype and hasn't played but 1 full season.

Put a season together like today and he is definitely "The Man".

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

If you mean the Blues getting knocked out in '96 (and you very well may not), I think the most you can say is that a healthy Grant Fuhr does not gurantee us a Cup.

That's exactly what I meant...

And Stampman, I think you're nuts if you say Draper is overrated

Again, overrated doesn't necessarily mean lousy--Draper isn't lousy--but to hear a Wings fan talk about him is hear exaggeration of his talent (which he does have).

Archived