Expos to Washington on Thursday

jkrdevil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the last few years, they should have been renamed the Montreal/San Juan/Washington/Virginia/Portland/Monterrey/Las Vegas/Norfolk Wanderers, seeing as how they didn't even have a home. But, let's see if I can think of some ideas for a DC name...

Washington Generals (Senators is supposedly owned by the Rangers, so might as well use the name of another loser. :P

Ok, seriously now...

Washington Monuments

Washington Admirals

Washington Cavalry

Washington Infantry

Washington Nationals

VmWIn6B.png

And, Chris, here's the report, which will help you decide if you want to go to Montreal or not.

NEW YORK -- Exactly 33 years after the Washington Senators played their final game, the nation's capital might learn on Thursday that major league baseball plans to return next season.

Several baseball officials said Monday that the most likely day for an announcement that Washington, D.C., has been selected for the future home of the team is Thursday, although there was a slight chance the timetable could be moved up.

After a meeting of the sport's executive council last Thursday, a high-ranking baseball official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said major league baseball would attempt to finalize negotiations with Washington within a week. It would be the first franchise relocation in the major leagues since the expansion Washington Senators became the Texas Rangers after the 1971 season.

The deal to move the Expos to Washington would be subject to government approval of funding for both a $13 million refurbishment of RFK Stadium and a new ballpark costing slightly over $400 million, which would be built along the Anacostia River in the southeast section of the city.

A move also must be approved by three-quarters of major league owners and survive legal challenges by the Expos' former limited partners and possibly by Baltimore owner Peter Angelos, who objects having a team just 40 miles from his.

After an announcement, the process of selling the Expos will start. A group that includes former Rangers partner Fred Malek has been seeking a Washington franchise for five years. In addition, several baseball officials have said in the past week that Stan Kasten, former president of the Atlanta Braves, Hawks and Thrashers, might be trying to assemble a group.

Kasten is close to baseball commissioner Bud Selig, which likely would be an advantage during the bidding process.

"I am studying all the situations in all of the sports right now," Kasten said Monday. "I haven't committed to any group, any city or any sport."

The original Washington Senators played 4,610 home games before becoming the Minnesota Twins after the 1960 season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The expansion Senators played 883 home games before moving to Texas.

In the Senators' last game, on Sept. 30, 1971, they led the New York Yankees 7-5 with two outs in the ninth inning when fans seeking souvenirs went on the RFK Stadium field, which could not be cleared. The Yankees wound up winning the game in a forfeit.

The Rangers retain ownership of the name "Washington Senators," baseball spokesman Carmine Tiso said after consulting with Ethan Orlinsky, a lawyer for Major League Baseball Properties, the sport's licensing division.

Montreal's last home game is scheduled for Wednesday night against Florida. Monday's series opener drew a crowd of 3,923 to Olympic Stadium.

"Now that it looks like it's going to happen, that this is going to be the end, it's a little tough for people to get up and talk about it in the positive way that they should," Expos manager Frank Robinson said. "And I think that's kind of a pity, really, because it deserves that people say more about how they feel about the situation, about the possibility of losing baseball in the Montreal area. ...

"I think there were a lot more good times possibly than bad times. This is where an expansion ballclub grew into one of the best organizations in baseball, at one time, and it's sad the way it has gone over the last few years and the way it is going out, if this is the end."

VmWIn6B.png

Robinson is dead on with his quote...

I hope they announce it Wednesday morning or afternoon so they can officially treat it as the final game, know what i mean?

I will be there, I bought the tickets in August.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I can now at least say that Ive was there to witness the Montreal Expos final appearance in San Francisco

i was also at their last apperance in Toronto... so between three of us on the board we will have been at their last game in four cities.

Awesome! :)

---

Chris Creamer

on another note, I was there to witness 6 of the Giants seven home games against a canadian team this year.

oh yeah, the Giants went 8-1 this year against canada :hockeysmiley:

whoa, now that I think about it, the Giants didnt have to play a single game in canada this year :blink:

on another note, I was there to witness 6 of the Giants seven home games against a canadian team this year.

oh yeah, the Giants went 8-1 this year against canada :hockeysmiley:

whoa, now that I think about it, the Giants didnt have to play a single game in canada this year :blink:

That must've been a first for any MLB team since 1977.

Time for research! :)

---

Chris Creamer

The Twins should hold the right to the name as well., however i think Texas will part with the name for monetary compensation (Leon Hess did it with the Titans)

The only name there can be is Washington Senators. That's just it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It's already over: the Expos are playing now their last ever games in Canada.

The nickname "Senators" is property of the Rangers. In these current days MLB attorneys are negociating with the Texas' people about the nick stuff.

I think that the name "Washington Senators" is a good nick for the relocated Expos despite its almost terrible history.

Did you know that the Senators will be back for the first time to the National League after almost 110 years? And did you know that the Padres almost leave San Diego for Washington in, I believe, 1973? It's not all: the Padres actually had all the Washington's new uniforms!!! :P

Well, anyone here knows if the Montreal people will have a minor league team in 2005?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

1. Montreal would be wise to go after a team in the ever-changing Northeast League. Quebec City is the only Canadian team in that loop, MOntreal would be a perfect fit.

2. I still drop the gauntlet for anyone wishing to do a "DC Cabs" identity package for the alleged new team in Warshington.

Yale, anything you'd care to add to this thread?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Its a shame to see Montreal lose the Expos...but i'm excited to see that baseball is back in an original Baseball town. I wonder though..with Washington coming back into the fold..will baseall have realignment...Washington is an American League town, and to be honest..a Baltimore-Washington Beltway Rivalry would be right up Peter Angelos ally $$$ wise.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying any attention.

A National League team for Washington, eh? Well, why not? It'll give President Nixon something to do when the Senators are out of town and George Allen isn't available to chat.

Go Chirs Go

Im going to their Frinal Final Game Sunday at Shea which I expect will be empty enough to look like Olympic Stadium

Fitting since their first game was in New York.

oh yeah, the Giants went 8-1 this year against canada  :hockeysmiley:

whoa, now that I think about it, the Giants didnt have to play a single game in canada this year  :blink:

That must've been a first for any MLB team since 1977.

Time for research! :)

Someone can double check this, but I don't think the Brewers played in Canada this year as well.....

I saw, I came, I left.

1. Montreal would be wise to go after a team in the ever-changing Northeast League. Quebec City is the only Canadian team in that loop, MOntreal would be a perfect fit.

2. I still drop the gauntlet for anyone wishing to do a "DC Cabs" identity package for the alleged new team in Warshington.

Well, being an Expo fan for 25 years, I just can't bring myself to participate in naming this Washington franchise. However, if Montreal still has the Alouettes, that's good enough for me.

I do agree with Montreal being a franchise in the Northeast League, an the idea of a provincial rivalry with the Quebec Capitales, which is my favourite minor league/independent team. But if Montreal and Quebec City played for a championship, who shall I cheer for?

Hmmm, tough call. :flagcanada:

Archived