Expos Concept Moratorium?

Frenchie

... the body's still warm.

Until last week, I found the speculation about the move, and the new name, and the new uniforms slightly annoying, but now I really wished people would let the Expos die of their slow death.

Can't we wait until the last out to start the "scavenging"...

Despite what the other Montrealers think, the Expos do belong in Montreal.

Obviously they deserve better fans, but as an icon, it will hurt more to see them leave then the Nordiques...

R.I.P.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

In the words of Gilbert O'Sullivan...

To think that only yesterday,

I was cheerful, bright and gay.

Looking forward to, and who wouldn?t do,

The role I was about to play.

But as if to knock me down,

Reality came around,

And without so much as a mere touch,

Cut me into little pieces.

Leaving me to doubt,

All about god and his mercy,

Oh, if he really does exist,

Why did he desert me?

And in my hour of need,

I truely am, indeed,

Alone again, naturally.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I was at what's looking like the last Expos home opener in Montreal this spring...they got 30,000 fans on the same night the Habs were playing in Tampa in the playoffs. The atmosphere was incredible, even by my spoiled-by-Yankee Stadium standards and I thought, just for a moment, maybe this could work.

Aye. There goes another great road trip.

Indirectly (or even directly), you can blame the player's strike in 1993 for this situation. The Sporting News had a great "What If?" article a few months back where they posited certain questions and alternate history scenarios. One was: what if the strike of 1993 had been averted? The biggest beneficiary of that scenario was Montreal. Remember that prior to that strike they were handily leading the division and should have easily made the playoffs. The article posited that they would have gone to the World Series, and whether or not they won, this would have led to support for a winning team, which in turn should have led to a successful drive to build a new downtown stadium (similar to what happened in San Diego), which would mean more revenue, thus holding on to better players, thus a more competitive team, and all combined would have led to the Expos remaining a successful and viable franchise.

It is what it is.

Indirectly (or even directly), you can blame the player's strike in 1993 for this situation. The Sporting News had a great "What If?" article a few months back where they posited certain questions and alternate history scenarios. One was: what if the strike of 1993 had been averted? The biggest beneficiary of that scenario was Montreal. Remember that prior to that strike they were handily leading the division and should have easily made the playoffs. The article posited that they would have gone to the World Series, and whether or not they won, this would have led to support for a winning team, which in turn should have led to a successful drive to build a new downtown stadium (similar to what happened in San Diego), which would mean more revenue, thus holding on to better players, thus a more competitive team, and all combined would have led to the Expos remaining a successful and viable franchise.

Sure, but the Brooklyn Dodgers won the 1955 WS and two years more, they are gone...

Winning the WS doesn't assure you a new ballpark. Ask it to the Marlins fans... they saw two WS champs but not yet a new ballpark.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

... the body's still warm.

Until last week, I found the speculation about the move, and the new name, and the new uniforms slightly annoying, but now I really wished people would let the Expos die of their slow death.

Can't we wait until the last out to start the "scavenging"...

Despite what the other Montrealers think, the Expos do belong in Montreal.

Obviously they deserve better fans, but as an icon, it will hurt more to see them leave then the Nordiques...

R.I.P.

Hi folks I'm new to this sight and like alot of the work I see here... on topic... I said it before and Ill say it again....Montreal did not lose MLB....MLB lost :flagcanada::flagcanada: Montreal!!!Nuff said.

Olympic stadium was the first big league ballpark I ever went to, I only attended one game and I was five years old but it was my first baseball game, The Reds happened to be playing there and we were on vacation. Shame just a shame.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

Alas, the loss of the Expos is a sad day as well.

I think the fact that the Expos got close a couple of times to getting a park despite very few competitive seasons lends strength to B-Rich's argument. Also, to find out whether downtown parks have an impact, look no further than the Alouettes.

The Olympic Stadium was the single worst thing to ever happen to Montreal sports.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Indirectly (or even directly), you can blame the player's strike in 1993 for this situation.  The Sporting News had a great "What If?" article a few months back where they posited certain questions and alternate history scenarios. One was: what if the strike of 1993 had been averted? The biggest beneficiary of that scenario was Montreal.  Remember that prior to that strike they were handily leading the division and should have easily made the playoffs. The article posited that they would have gone to the World Series, and whether or not they won, this would have led to support for a winning team, which in turn should have led to a successful drive to build a new downtown stadium (similar to what happened in San Diego), which would mean more revenue, thus holding on to better players, thus a more competitive team, and all combined would have led to the Expos remaining a successful and viable franchise.

Of course the REAL "Big if?" question is, "What if there was a 1993 strike?" :D

and pcgd? I have no idea what mlb city would have the best strip clubs. Montreal's was magnifique! Atlanta would be my best guess.

I saw, I came, I left.

now what MLB city has the best strip clubs?

I can vouch for San Francisco. There are quite a few that are as uh......"liberal" as the clubs in Montreal are :D

I likely heading down to San Francisco next summer for my cousin's wedding. Maybe I should check it out for myself. Hopefully her finacee will hold one helluva bachelor party.

I saw, I came, I left.

Ahhh.... Montreal Strip Clubs....

Good times... goooooood times...

It helped to have a brother that took me on his Canada runs... :P;)

Those girls will do anything for an american dollar. :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I likely heading down to San Francisco next summer for my cousin's wedding. Maybe I should check it out for myself. Hopefully her finacee will hold one helluva bachelor party.

just keep mum on which one youre going to...

because if I find out where......:devil:

Archived