Best and worst fans in college football

winghaz

We had a discussion at the office: Who has the best fans in Division I-A football and who has the worst fans?

One of the names floating around for best fans was Wisconsin because win or lose, they still enjoy the beer and brats after the game.

Some of the worst included Oklahoma, LSU and Alabama.

But I'd rather see your opinions. Thank you.

Texas A&M, and the 12th Man. 30,000+ student section in Kyle Field. The entire 12th Man (student section) stands through the entire game. Students go to yell practice at midnight (called Midnight yell) the night before home games. After the game if the Aggies win, the corp chases the yell leaders and throws them in the "fish pond." If they Aggies are out scored (since Aggies don't lose) the 12th Man stays after the game for more yell practice, because if the Aggies are out scored then the 12th Man didn't make enough noise. Also in Kyle Field you can "Whip it out" "Pull out" and "Hump it." On a closing note, the tradition of "Aggies score you score" if the Aggies score you kiss your date.

dmr

I nominate University of Cincinnati Football Fans (I went there so I can). One year we were caught on National TV against Louisville Flipping off Louisville's Student section to the tune of F--- You UL! I believe they were winning at that point, but most of us were drunk and didnt care. I know we were caught cause there was an email the next day from the Athletic Director in everyones inbox lol

The best fans are MY team's fans.. the worst are my team's biggest rival's fans. They suck.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I nominate University of Cincinnati Football Fans (I went there so I can). One year we were caught on National TV against Louisville Flipping off Louisville's Student section to the tune of F--- You UL! I believe they were winning at that point, but most of us were drunk and didnt care. I know we were caught cause there was an email the next day from the Athletic Director in everyones inbox lol

So, your nominating UL for worst fans right? GOTHCHA!

I know the Big East quite well (worked all SU football and hoops games at the Carrier Dome) and I must say I never enjoyed dealing with Va Tech fans or Miami fans. I guess that's because we found little success against them in the 90's.

But I can't stand Notre Dame fans. Pompous, arrogant, catholics!

[not a slam on catholicism]

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I will have to nominate Navy and its fans as the Best in college football. Hell, Army and Air Force as well. You will never meet a more knowlegable bunch as fans of service academies. Ask any Midshipmen fan and they'll tell you that courage, honor and tradition are the reasons they are fans. Ask them what there doing at a game when the other team leads 35-0 its pouring raining and the 4th quarter and they'll tell you that "strength, the unwillingness to accept defeat, to play as hard as you can till the final whistle, to battle and never give up" are the reasons why people cheer for the Midshipmen. I strongly suggest to all of you. If you have kids, find a way to take them to a Navy game. Because they will show class, determination, sportsmanship and thats how you want your youngsters to play the game. And heck, at the end win, lose or draw..the Midshipmen themselves will cheer on there warriors and salute them with the schools alma mater.

Navy Blue and Gold

Now colleges from sea to sea may sing of colors true,

But who has better right than we to hoist a symbol hue:

For sailors brave in battle fair since fighting days of old

Have proved the sailor?s right to wear the Navy Blue & Gold.

Four years together by the Bay, where Severn joins the tide,

Then by the Service called away, we?re scattered far and wide;

But still when two or three shall meet, and old tales be retold,

From low to highest in the Fleet, we'll pledge the Blue & Gold.

Like I said, if you ever get to go to a Midshipmen game. Stay to the end. Listen to the song. Listen to the men and women and the former midshipmen as they stand in attention to pay homage to there players, there school. It gets you choked up. And its inspiring. thanks.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

So, your nominating UL for worst fans right? GOTHCHA!

I know the Big East quite well (worked all SU football and hoops games at the Carrier Dome) and I must say I never enjoyed dealing with Va Tech fans or Miami fans. I guess that's because we found little success against them in the 90's.

But I can't stand Notre Dame fans. Pompous, arrogant, catholics!

[not a slam on catholicism]

Rochman...i too agree with you about Notre Dame fans. I was at the Navy/Notre Dame game this past season in Giants Stadium...there fans poked fun at Midshipmen, threw cups at the Midshipmen 1st class, and proceeded to yell "Navy sucks" during the Midshipmens school song. So I agree with you totally 100%. I'm sure the founders of Notre Dame would be insulted at the way there so called "fans" treated people who are training to defend our country.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

I've gotta second what budbowl said. The Army, Navy, and Air Force fans are some of the most knowledgable, whether it be about football, or just play smarts, out there. (Obviously, I'm not bragging, since i'm a complete dumbass...) They know how far is too far when rooting for a team. They know that you give respect to the other team's alma mater (coughNOTRE DAMEcough). A good example is both the Army and the Navy football teams standing together as both alam maters are played after the army/navy game.

A&M fans are simply amazing - the whole 12th Man thing is very cool and the rituals are time honored and always well done.

I was surprised to see a remark discounting OU Sooner fans. Having attended a few games at Owen Field and having been to a number of MU-OU games in Columbia, MO, I have never had a problem with the Sooner fans that came up to support their team. Matter of fact, I went to an MU-OU game in Norman clad in my Mizzou sweatshirt and was treated exceptionally nice by the people sitting around me and a few of them were very knowledgeable about the Mizzou program.

I'd have to agree that LSU is more on the bad side fan wise. I don't know about worse though. I went to the Sugar Bowl when Illinois made their first (probably last) BCS appearence. All I heard the entire time was "Tiger Bait" which got very annoying because that's all they said. A couple times nearly got into fights because they'd throw our hats on the ground on bourbon street or push us around, after the game same stuff.

Of course they packed the super dome. 1/4 of the dome was orange. The other 3/4 was purple and we were offered about 1500 bucks for a pair of tickets more than once. Why I didn't take it...I'll never know. So they are pretty big fans as well. More were respectful of us than the bad ones.

The best fans are MY team's fans.. the worst are my team's biggest rival's fans. They suck.

When they were here, they started yelling during the invocation. And during our alma mater. And I got hit by a flask during the national anthem.

I dont know who you are talking about, or who you think I was talking about.

My post was to point out that everyone will think their team has the best fans. It was supposed to be in jest.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Yes I am biased, but it is hard to argue with Wisconsin being right up there. Their fans travel very well. If you can't sell your game out, Wisconsin fans will buy up your tickets, whether it's Iowa or UNLV.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

When they were here, they started yelling during the invocation. And during our alma mater. And I got hit by a flask during the national anthem.

My post was to point out that everyone will think their team has the best fans. It was supposed to be in jest.

I assumed you were specifically referring to Georgia's fans. I guess I was wrong.

LMU's fans are terrible. They only show up for when we play Pepperdine, or when we're on TV. Otherwise, the 4,000 seat arena only has 75 people in it, including the band.

VmWIn6B.png

I assumed you were specifically referring to Georgia's fans. I guess I was wrong.

I'll be glad to say it, though:

UGA's fans are:

50% Redneck

40% Bandwagon

10% Alumni

I respect 10% of the UGA fans. They come exclusively from the third grouping.

ΓΔΒ!

UM fans most definitely are the WORST. I remember when they lost their first game last year the next game at the Orange Bowl they were playing in a half empty stadium.

This just isn't for UM but for all fans in all the sports we have down here. The Miami Dade, Broward area is heavily bandwagonerized. Very few true fans.

1997 | 2003

Archived