Reebok Logo on NHL Jerseys

BBTV

I know it has been discussed if the NHL jerseys would carry the Reebok brand or if they would remain CCM/Koho. Apparantly, it will be Reebok. Here is an article that was in the Phila. Inquirer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/10299227.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reebok gears up for hockey

After a deal, the brand's making its way into arenas and stores. But until play resumes, its NHL uniforms are getting no wear.

The absence of a National Hockey League season isn't stopping Reebok from becoming the world's biggest supplier of ice hockey equipment.

Of course, it's not helping, either.

Over the summer, Reebok acquired The Hockey Co., the Montreal-based leader in hockey gear with its CCM, Koho and Jofa brands. That sped Reebok past rival Nike, which in 1995 acquired Bauer.

Reebok hockey gear is slowly showing up in leagues and will hit retail stores around March, says John Frascotti, Reebok's senior vice president of licensing and new business.

Whenever NHL players get back on the ice, they'll wear Reebok jerseys, just as NFL players do. (Last season, NHL players wore either CCM or Koho jerseys.)

Jarome Iginla and other Team Canada players in the summer's World Cup of Hockey wore Reebok-branded helmets. In the American Hockey League, players already use either CCM or Reebok helmets, gloves and sticks. Reebok also will produce its first line of ice skates.

The venerable CCM brand will continue, and Koho and Jofa will carry on in certain markets, Frascotti says. So, how will the Reebok hockey brand fit into the mix?

"With Reebok, we will appeal more to the more expressive hockey player of the future," Frascotti says.

Besides making NFL jerseys, Frascotti points out, Reebok provides uniforms and warm-ups to the NBA and shoes for Major League Baseball.

"Hockey was the only major sport we did not have a relationship with," he says.

About one-third of The Hockey Co.'s revenue has been from team-licensed gear, and that end of the business has suffered during the lockout. Retail chains, including Modell's, aren't even displaying NHL jerseys in their stores. Retail sales of NHL-licensed apparel are down about 50 percent from last year, according to SportScanInfo in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Things aren't so bad in hard goods, or equipment. Every hockey parent knows how much gear it takes to get a player onto the ice, regardless of whether the Flyers are active. The Hockey Co.'s brands still do strong business in college and minor leagues across North America.

"The last NHL lockout was in 1994, and at that time The Hockey Co. saw their sales go up," Frascotti says.

He wouldn't say how the lockout has affected sales this time, but nationally, combined sales of hockey equipment are down 18.4 percent this year, according to SportScanInfo.

Reebok in 1991 licensed its "Pump" sneaker technology to The Hockey Co. for use in skates and now expects to bring its footwear expertise to Reebok skates. But Frascotti doesn't expect Reebok's targeting of "the expressive hockey player of the future" to include the kind of footwear tied to a player - like Allen Iverson's Answer 8 shoes - that Reebok produces in basketball.

At least, not right away.

"With hockey skates, these guys are looking for performance," he says. "You don't wear them around, off the ice. It's not quite the same."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And another tradition goes down the toilet. How long until all the equipment is branded Reebok???

This sounds like some needless whining to me.

Reebok used to do jerseys for the IIHF, Canada included.

Reebok will not be renaming all of The Hockey Company's equipment line. The branding will be CCM, Koho, Heaton, Reebok by Jofa (Protective) and Reebok Hockey.

If you're going to place a big emphasis on tradition that's fine. But, seriously, is their a huge tradition with the actual brand of hockey jerseys used in the NHL? I don't think so.

Did you shed a tear when CCM started branding their jerseys as CCM instead of Sport Maska? :blink:

I was at a hockey retailer early this fall and asked him about the Reebok logo. One guy I talked to wasn't sure how Reebok was going to be advertising its brand on hockey equipment. It's possible that Reebok might put its logo on jerseys, like it's doing now in lower Minor and Junior leagues, with CCM/Koho keeping its name on all non-jersey equipment. It's one thing to put your brand on a jersey, since the clothing doesn't usually affect performance like other euipment does, but it's another thing to replace old brands entirely with your own moniker.

About 10 or so years ago, Nike acquired Bauer/Cooper hockey equipment companies. Bauer kept its own name, but Nike replaced the Cooper line. Anyone remember Cooperalls? This is why there still is separate Nike and Bauer gear, but both are owned by the same company. And Nike did have its name on Edmonton Oilers jerseys in the mid 80s. Somehow, the Cooper name stayed on baseball equipment for many years after the hockey entry.

Reebok has had a small link to hockey, licensing the Pump? technology to CCM for hockey skates. So it's not like Reebok is getting into a genre to which it has no connection. At least Reebok isn't making the actual balls and pucks (yet) that Nike did right away. I mean, they're athletic shoe companies, what are they doing making basketballs and baseball bats?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i don't see what the complaining is about either. reebok is a wonderful high-quality company. look at how much of a difference in quality a puma replica NFL jersey and a reebok NFL equipment replica jersey have...

and before anyone starts all the bull**** whining about it being against tradition for these big shoe companies to make the sweaters, just remember that nike made the gretzky-era oilers sweaters, nike made the back-to-back wings sweaters, and before recently, koho had never made ANY team's NHL sweater.

it's just a brand. a damn good one, imo. anyone who cries about this being a slap in the face of tradition just doesn't know the facts, and to steal a line from ICS, is just being a sheep. :)

i originally heard that CCM would keep making the white sweaters, and reebok would make the dark sweaters... but i suppose i heard wrong.

To add to that, the Flyers were wearing Nike jerseys, too. So when they first got into the NHL, they only had four teams (the Ducks and Hawks were the other two). Yet two of their teams went to the Finals.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I'd imagine that, and the fact that there is no hockey, so they want to promote purchases as much as possible

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I don't really care who makes the jerseys (though I must say I sorta hate seeing one company eat up so much of the sports world...just because), but don't be surprised if the quality of replica's and maybe even authentic jerseys go down.

Hopefully that won't be the case...hopefully the same manufacturing is done just with a different logo, but reeboks fan jerseys for other leagues are pitiful.

There are numerous inaccuracies on their NBA replicas.

In the NFL, the replica's aren't always bad, but we've pointed out many problems. Their lowest line of replica's right now is terrible though. Sleeve stripes no longer go all the way around the sleeve, they stop in the middle. Shoulder stripes are about 4 inches long on top of the shoulder and do not continue downwards.

My major problem stems from Rams jerseys though. I already mentioned the 4 inch shoulder stripes, but it's worse than that.

To my knowledge, there are no true accurate current Rams jerseys, authentic or replica, in existance in the entire world excluding the ones worn by the team. Ever since the year the Rams removed the side stripes, Reebok has messed up bad.

The gold stripe on both jerseys has been reduced to a much smaller proportion on replica's, and the white stripe on the blue is of equal size. The gold is too small and the white stripe too big. I hate it.

Then, I guess I could go for an authentic, but they mess those up too. This time the gold stripes are the right size, but the white stripe is still of equal size making it much, much too big. Also, I have seen authentics with the white and gold stripes reversed in position.

I suppose it's possible that an authentic white Rams jersey might be accurate--I haven't checked too much in that range--but it would only be because they lucked out and don't have a white stripe to screw up.

As much as I'd like a Rams jersey without the side stripe because it's current, I won't buy one until Reebok shapes up.

I don't really care who makes the jerseys (though I must say I sorta hate seeing one company eat up so much of the sports world...just because), but don't be surprised if the quality of replica's and maybe even authentic jerseys go down.

Hopefully that won't be the case...hopefully the same manufacturing is done just with a different logo, but reeboks fan jerseys for other leagues are pitiful.

In the NFL, the replica's aren't always bad, but we've pointed out many problems. Their lowest line of replica's right now is terrible though. Sleeve stripes no longer go all the way around the sleeve, they stop in the middle. Shoulder stripes are about 4 inches long on top of the shoulder and do not continue downwards.

My major problem stems from Rams jerseys though. I already mentioned the 4 inch shoulder stripes, but it's worse than that.

To my knowledge, there are no true accurate current Rams jerseys, authentic or replica, in existance in the entire world excluding the ones worn by the team. Ever since the year the Rams removed the side stripes, Reebok has messed up bad.

The gold stripe on both jerseys has been reduced to a much smaller proportion on replica's, and the white stripe on the blue is of equal size. The gold is too small and the white stripe too big. I hate it.

Then, I guess I could go for an authentic, but they mess those up too. This time the gold stripes are the right size, but the white stripe is still of equal size making it much, much too big. Also, I have seen authentics with the white and gold stripes reversed in position.

I suppose it's possible that an authentic white Rams jersey might be accurate--I haven't checked too much in that range--but it would only be because they lucked out and don't have a white stripe to screw up.

As much as I'd like a Rams jersey without the side stripe because it's current, I won't buy one until Reebok shapes up.

that's odd... i've got a titans white jevon kearse jersey, a titans third keith bulluck jersey, a vikings purple daunte culpepper jersey, a packers green favre jersey, and a chargers power blue tomlinson jersey, and they're all perfectly accurate, as far as i can see. the numbers aren't even coming CLOSE to coming off either, like my old puma kearse titans jersey, that you can barely make out a 90 on.

in my opinion, nfl replica jerseys went WAY UP in quality when reebok started making them.

i've got a friend who's a diehard jets fan, and he's got a few of those jerseys too (pennington, chrebet, and blank), and i've never noticed anything wrong with them.... even my sister's curtis martin and steve mcnair women's jerseys are great.

the nba, on the other hand, i agree... they are messed up. between all my reebok mavs jerseys, i think i've got 20 different shades of blue, and none of them have the side-piping of the real thing.

Perhaps Reebok just screws up the Rams jerseys then. The only other complaints I've heard are number size and then the jerseys I mentioned where the stripes stop on the sleeves.

So other than that, maybe Reebok does a good job with the NFL, but they do a terrible job with the Rams, so I won't buy until they fix it.

OK, I'll stop my incessant whining now. :D I do remember when Reebok made the international jerseys, and I did want one of those, almost as much as I still want a Nike Oilers sweater. Sorry to upset you all. That really was a childish comment on my part, sorry to slip down to the level of some who are no longer a part of this board.

They have the Mitchell & Ness jerseys on sale as well. Do you think thats a sign of a change coming with the vintage line, or is that just a good way for them to sell a few shirts during the lockout.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

i originally heard that CCM would keep making the white sweaters, and reebok would make the dark sweaters... but i suppose i heard wrong.

I have also read this news, and it was what I was expecting.

IMO, I'd like it if Koho did all jerseys becasue their logo on the back of collar is less distracting than the CCM logo or Reebok logos because those have boxes around them.

Also, as far as the quality itself goes, it'll be no different that it currently is because it's still The Hockey Company and their factories making them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Some notes from me, because I have a friend that works in reebok corporate and I may be joining their ranks soon...

I've got to say the replicas as far as NBA has dramatically increased. Think about the champion days. The NFL is pretty solid all around as well.

I can check with my friend and see if he's got any info in this regard (NHL jerseys when they begin play again.)

Some notes from me, because I have a friend that works in reebok corporate and I may be joining their ranks soon...

I've got to say the replicas as far as NBA has dramatically increased. Think about the champion days. The NFL is pretty solid all around as well.

I can check with my friend and see if he's got any info in this regard (NHL jerseys when they begin play again.)

Can you ask him what's up with the Rams jerseys too, lol?

that's odd... i've got a titans white jevon kearse jersey, a titans third keith bulluck jersey, a vikings purple daunte culpepper jersey, a packers green favre jersey, and a chargers power blue tomlinson jersey, and they're all perfectly accurate, as far as i can see. the numbers aren't even coming CLOSE to coming off either, like my old puma kearse titans jersey, that you can barely make out a 90 on.

in my opinion, nfl replica jerseys went WAY UP in quality when reebok started making them.

i've got a friend who's a diehard jets fan, and he's got a few of those jerseys too (pennington, chrebet, and blank), and i've never noticed anything wrong with them.... even my sister's curtis martin and steve mcnair women's jerseys are great.

the nba, on the other hand, i agree... they are messed up. between all my reebok mavs jerseys, i think i've got 20 different shades of blue, and none of them have the side-piping of the real thing.

Is your sister hot? LOL :P

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Jerseys in the ECHL are provided by CCM/Koho (now Reebok) and I went the the Greenville Grrrowl at Pensacola game Saturday and Greenville had reebok vectors. The Pilots use SP so no vectors there. The logo looks pretty good a jersy actually, just that I like tradition better.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

what's up with the Pats jerseys too? Don't get me wrong, I think Reebok is a good jersey/apparel manufacturer, but comparing the number sizes on my Deion Branch Patriots jersey #83, to my Santana Moss Jets jersey #83 (keeping it consistent) the 83 on my Deion Branch jersey is much smaller. Yeah, i know, the Pats use 3 colors on their numbers (red, silver, white) as opposed to the Jets, who just use white numerals. But seriously, some consistency is all I ask. Other than that, I do like Reebok...they have brought back the Patriots red throwback jerseys in replica form (thank you!) and the NFL apparell they put out is top-notch.

Archived