NFL Logos

Shmee

I just noticed this really for the first time yesterday when I opened up http://www.nfl.com. When I saw all of the leage's logos together, I noticed that every logo that has a face, including all animals, the Flying Elvis, and even the Browns' helmet, faces to the right.

In fact, the Philadelphia Eagles logo is the only exception to this rule. Anyone know why Philly is the only team that has its logo facing to the left? In the NHL, the direction that faces are turned to are pretty balanced between left and right.

Just thought I'd share something I thought was a little quirky. :grin:

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

In the primary logo, it is facing right:

eagles-logo1.gif

I would think they should face left, since your eye moves left to right it would give the faces more attention?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True enough.

The reason that most helmets are shown facing right is because that's the side that shows off the logo in its correct form. Most NFL logos are the same on both sides (Packers, Raiders, Chargers) or a mirror image (Seahawks, Broncos). Then there are the two teams who have separate logos for each side of the helmet - the Chiefs and Ravens. Everytime they show those helmets facing left, they're not showing the actual logo of the team.

Well, kinda not the actual logo of the team.

You know what I mean! :P

I believe the Bengals leaping tiger faces left.

From a design standpoint, things just look better facing right.

It seems to convey motion and the essence of moving forward.

The Eagles still looks great facing left and yes also because of the "E".

Which makes me wonder why the primary lfaces right, that's inconsistent.

on a personal note I hate when newspapers or TV graphics show the

left side of the Steelers helmet, blank black. I always do a double take as to who it is.

It is a cultural thing. In western society, moving or facing left to right signifies good or positive. Moving or facing right to left signifies negative or evil. We talked about this in an animation class I had.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

True enough.

The reason that most helmets are shown facing right is because that's the side that shows off the logo in its correct form. Most NFL logos are the same on both sides (Packers, Raiders, Chargers) or a mirror image (Seahawks, Broncos). Then there are the two teams who have separate logos for each side of the helmet - the Chiefs and Ravens. Everytime they show those helmets facing left, they're not showing the actual logo of the team.

Well, kinda not the actual logo of the team.

You know what I mean! :P

And that's a tricky thing doing Madden helmets for actual teams--but fot eh CFL that is (or maybe was) onlt applicable to the Blue Bombers--the others face the same way or are mirrored...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The Saints logo faces right, that's obvious. :P

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

My off the wall theory is that NFL logos face to the right due to the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steeler logo on the helmet is on the right side. That particular logo is always facing right because if you had that helmet face left, you would either be showing the blank side of the helmet or you would be showing the helmet incorrectly with a Steeler logo. I think just out of habit the NFL has all (or most) logos facing right.

the Eagle faces left on the left sleeve (wearers left) and right on the right sleeve,

So it's always pointing toward the front of the jersey or facing forward if you will.

Which is also true of helmet logos that don't have letters.

and the ravens and chiefs which DO have letters. the arrow and bird alwasy face forward, but the letters are always the right way.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived