Cubs go nameless at home

fiskerdu

i'd figure they'll keep names on the alternate, since they're worn for both home and away games. I don't feel the Cubs need two alts (especially two of the same color), but we'll see.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Dodgers are taking the names off the Roads, so the rule, probably isnt going tobe enforced.

Not sure where ya heard this, it was my understanding the names were coming off just the home unis for the Dodgers 50th anniversary in Los Angeles.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Dodgers are taking the names off the Roads, so the rule, probably isnt going tobe enforced.

Not sure where ya heard this, it was my understanding the names were coming off just the home unis for the Dodgers 50th anniversary in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers are DEFINITELY taking the names off of the home and road unis.

Here's the official word:

Los Angeles Dodgers:

Removal of names on all uniform jerseys

Change road uniform buttons from blue to Grey

I think it's just a fad. The Mets and Pirates removed names a few years ago and they went back to it. The good part about it is your jersey will never go out of style when the player jumps ship.

KISSwall09.jpg

I don't like it, now I won't know who I'm yelling at when I go to the crosstown games at Wrigley. And the Dodgers, WHY would you take them off both. the Yankees are one thing, at least they have stars on the team. But c'mon. If they wanna bring back old trends how about short sleeves and baggy pants with high socks?

No names on home uniforms? Amen to that, brother!

:notworthy:

I agree 110% with Mr. Amare. Love the fact that some teams are doing it. Just wish the Mets would follow suit just like they did in 1999...oh and remove black from their uni's too. BLUE AND ORANGE ONLY!!!

Heres a look - Home:

pict12.jpg

Alternate:

t1_ventura_ap.jpg

Road: Cant find any pic.

The Dodgers are DEFINITELY taking the names off of the home and road unis.

Here's the official word:

Los Angeles Dodgers:

Removal of names on all uniform jerseys

Change road uniform buttons from blue to Grey

I'm confused, this is the Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles you are talking about, right?

:P

Cards.png

No need to sign up... I subscribe. Here's the story (it's just a note, really):

Fred Mitchell

------------------------------------------------------------------------

AROUND TOWN

Cubs plan an unstitch in time

January 17, 2005

You may not be able to recognize all of the Cubs players at Wrigley Field without a scorecard this season.

The organization has decided to remove the names from the backs of the Cubs' home jerseys in an effort to revisit early baseball tradition.

Either that, or equipment managers were becoming increasingly frustrated in their attempts to fit "Garciaparra" on the back of Nomar's uniform.

"We thought we were in the clear when Mark Grudzielanek left [to sign with the Cardinals]," quipped John McDonough, the Cubs' marketing and broadcasting vice president.

The organization, which hosts its 20th annual Cubs Convention this weekend at the Chicago Hilton & Towers, plans to continue stitching the last names on the back of the road uniforms.

The 1960 White Sox were the first major-league team to place players' names on the back of their jerseys.

Also there's a poll running on the site. Here's where it's at right now:

What do you think about the Cubs removing names from their home jerseys?

59.6% -- It's fine with me (637 responses)

40.4% -- They should leave them on (431 responses)

1068 total responses

Now that I look at them both, I guess neither one looks 'bad' but I'd still prefer no red trim on the numbers:

pMLB2-1558544reg.jpg

pMLB2-1558562reg.jpg

It always goes back to the jerseys I grew up with I guess...

Not that this is a really hot topic, but they just showed the jerseys on local CLTV here in Chicago. The Cubs will have two alternates now, identical except for the removal of the name for home version. The Cubs' home white is also identical to the 2004 version except for the name, so the red trim stays. I still would have liked to see them remove that, since the three numbers they have retired are portayed on flags in just blue (soon to be four -- Sandberg to be announced this weekend at the Cubs Convention).

So, they'll look similar to those Andre Dawson (8) jerseys above. Also, here's another article from the Arlington Heights Daily Herald:

No-name Cubs

The Cubs will unveil slightly new home uniforms at this week's annual fan convention.

No longer will the team's home jerseys feature the players' last names on the back. The Cubs went nameless on their home uniforms until 1993.

Marketing chief John McDonough said he felt the time was right to return to a more traditional look.

"The Cubs define tradition, and we thought it was time to have the uniforms represent that feel," McDonough said Monday. "We've been playing at Wrigley Field for 91 years. The logo has been there for probably 80-plus years. We just thought we'd like to have the uniforms reflect the tradition of a great, storied franchise. It's a better fit right now for the franchise."

The names will remain on the road gray and road blue Cubs uniforms. At home, there will be no names on either the traditional white, pinstriped tops or the alternate blue tops. It's customary for the day's starting pitcher to determine which top the team will wear.

Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood and Mark Prior usually choose home whites and road grays. Carlos Zambrano likes the blue jerseys.

Archived