New Orleans Fleet Concept

AAO

that looks like the stretch marks on a fat lady that i saw today.

anyways, after vomiting, I have these suggestions. Basically lighten it up some, the colors don't contrast enough. Also change the green, its not a real maritime-y logo, even though the mississippi isnt exactly blue and the ocean might not be near shore as well (i dont know have been to n.o.). also move new orleans inside the text box you have. it will bring it together more.

AAO, my C/C:

I am in complete agreement with JamesJDuncan and mustang. "Fleet" doesn't work here, for the reasons they listed. Great name for San Diego, Tidewater, etc., but not here. Plus, being on the river, we're not as associated with tall-masted sailing ships as we are with riverboats and steamers, though such ships did call on the city in days gone by...

In terms of the logo, I too saw the "eyes" right away. It's also unclear whether or not the middle boat is the lead boat. You'd assume it was, as it is proportionately larger and the "wave split" is centered on its bow. Yet it looks like its sails are behind the other two flanking boats.... I agree with Sabre, the banners are far too big... I also don't understand the green area on the right side of each boat's hull-- what is it supposed to be?

The color scheme seems very dark-- I see it as black, forest green, charcoal, and tan/gold. On the unis, the Saints-like black and gold stand out more and look fine, but in the logo they seem to be more or less equal. More emphasis on the gold/tan (a great color for the ship hulls, can be sort of "wood"), and the sails could be the more representative white. The green could be kept as the "water" color (though the muddy Mississippi definitely looks more tan/gold).

My favorite thing about your concept is the uniform design. Athough I'm usually a traditional piping/stripes sort of guy, the side panel design is really sharp, and I'm a big fan of putting the logo on the pants. One more thing-- while I know it's your design, the team has stated that they will wear "New Orleans" on the chest away AND home; it's what Shinn did with "Charlotte" when they were there as a statement of support for the host city and has continued here in New Orleans. Free advertising, I'd guess you could say.

Anyway, a solid effort and a good first stab. Again, I think the name & concept might work in another location, but not in N.O.

It is what it is.

One more thing-- while I know it's your design, the team has stated that they will wear "New Orleans" on the chest away AND home; it's what Shinn did with "Charlotte" when they were there as a statement of support for the host city

ha

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I agree with the comments on the colours/contrast--from a distance it could be a muddy blur--still I like the overall look--just adjust the shade of one colour (or both if it looks better that way)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Really nice job. The black and old gold go very well together. Did the Saints have any influence on your choice of colors? One thing on the jersey insert. Don't have it so long that it tucks into the shirt. Are the numbers your own design? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow thanks a lot guys, i appreciate the critique. So i'm gonna take all of it in and work with the concept some more. The colors aren't supposed to be that dark--the darkest color is a dark green...gotta fix it up. And yea i was figuring fleet would be good for a name because of the early French and Spanish explorers that first came to N.O.

Great work again AAO.

The whole concept though, and please keep in mind is really picky, is not good as a NBA team identity. The colours are on the dull side, and the logo isn't clear enough for the public to understand it. I'm clueless on what to do with that logo to improve it though. I would try a few different designs before you go further with this.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

change NEW ORLEANS to SYDNEY and it'd be a winner... cos Sydney is where the First Fleet landed in Australia in 1788 or soem year like that....which was after the War of idnependance which after the Poms lost they came here to Oz and well as most Aussies know, the Brits sent the Convicts to a better place!!! so maybe the name FLEET will have some more history to it if used with a city like SYDNEY or PORT JACKSON or BOTANY BAY, they all have significance

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Excellent work AAO - a great starting point for this concept!

I agree with much of what's come before - lightening/contrasting the colors a bit, bringing the New Oreans into the name a bit more and tweaking the ships.

What I like most about your concept is that you focused on a really interesting and underused part of New Orleans' history. While I don't know that 'Fleet' is your strongest option, I hope you dig deeper into what inspired you, "the early French and Spanish explorers." You made me immediately think of Jean Lafitte and the "Privateers" who marauded off the Louisana coast for a long period of time and then ultimately helped the young United States in wartime.

Great job and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next draft! :D

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

I have nothing more to add.

Other than to say the critique offered here was as good as the concept.

Help like this is very valuable. Great to see.

Can't wait to see the next version.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Flip the banners' direction on the tertiary mark and it'll look much more like a music note - take a look at the Blues' logo and the old Jazz - and you'll see what I mean. Bridges on music notes don't point to the left.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Can we see it without the large beige border?

The colors seem alittle to dark.. it would be quite difficult to make out from a distance..

Maybe try "New Orleans" in the black space under "LEET"..

Maybe increase the font size also.. the black border along the sides and bottom of FLEET just seems quite large..

I stopped reading after page 1 so Im not sure if those were suggested..

Its looking great non the less.. just minor cosmetics and you got it :D

I agree with the points made about the name "Fleet" and the main logo looking too much like a face and the colors being too dark. That being said, the work is really top notch. I was amazed by how professional it looks.

So I guess this is a backhanded compliment.

Archived